The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: La Crosse area  (Read 3340 times)

Offline trapsht

• IceShanty Rookie
La Crosse area
« on: Dec 30, 2005, 05:48 PM »
I'm looking for a little guidance.  I'm moving to the LaCrosse area this summer and was wondering where everyone fishes(both open & ice).  I've read some stuff about L.Onalaska and the Miss. River.  Are these areas good, and are there any other spots that don't require a great deal of driving?? Thanks for your help 

Offline vexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: La Crosse area
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:42 PM »
You are moving to a sportsmen paradise that is all I can say

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2005, 10:08 AM »
I would head south to Stoddard.  Walk or drive north from the boat landing, I had success catching some nice pike and gills.  Also check out Runge Hollow lake.  A local gun/fishing club has a derby out there around early Feb and rumor has it....there are some 40"+ pike in the lake...only a local rumor!!  Plus runge is a dandy lake to fish in summer for gills and lm bass out of a canoe.
  Good luck!
    Big W
Big W

Offline fshnbudy01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2005, 01:51 PM »
I live in Indiana now, but I went to school in LaCrosse.  The stretch of Mississippi that goes thru LaCrosse is listed as one of the top ten smallmouth rivers in the US.  I used to catch them whenever I could get away from the books.  I still have pictures of some 4-5 pounders I caught there.    If you like walleye fishing, it's pretty good for that too. 
"Quit lookin at my Marmooska."

Offline trapsht

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2006, 02:34 PM »
Thanks for your input..I didn't realize there were many smallmouth around there.  Did you catch them from shore or from a boat?

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2006, 11:17 AM »
Another good spot to fish for walleyes and bluegills in the spring/summer would be by the Dresbach dam, just north of LaCresent.  You are able to wade out, fish from shore, or from a canoe...    ::)

Enjoy!
   Big W
Big W

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2006, 02:22 PM »
Thanks for your input..I didn't realize there were many smallmouth around there.  Did you catch them from shore or from a boat?
The smallie opportunities are almost endless if you've got a boat.  The three man made islands in Lake Onalaska are good starting points.  I've heard them called a million different names, but I think if you look at a map they are Broken Gun, Red Oak, and Horseshoe.  Get a map, they the three u-shaped islands in the middle of the lake.  Also try Gibb's and Sommer's chutes where the Mississippi enters the lake.  You can explore all those islands up around the chutes for a week and never fish the same water twice.

On ice, we get on at the launch on HWY Z, north of town.  We've had a trailer parked in the camp ground right near the launch for more than 15 years now.  It's a POS, but it's just there to keep the rain/snow off on weekend fishing trips.  From that launch the panfish can be anywhere south to the airport lights or sailboat club.  Start exploring.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline fshnbudy01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2006, 03:11 PM »

I was a poor college kid,(as oppsed to being a poor working guy now) so I went from shore, no boat.  Anywhere I found rocks there were nice smallies.  I also went to a dam just upriver from LaCrosse and caught walleyes right off the concrete walkway.   It might be the Dresbach dam that Big W is referring to.  That was where I learned how to catch walleye as I had never fished for them before and had pretty good luck most of the time. 

I miss all that water in WI.  Here in East Central Indiana I have to fill the truck with gas to get to many of the good lakes.  Happy Fishing!
"Quit lookin at my Marmooska."

Offline trapsht

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2006, 06:30 PM »
Once again..thanks for the help!

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:40 AM »
If you enjoy fly fishing for trout, Coon Valley just south on Hwy 14 has some of the best trout streams in the midwest.  Check out Timber, Spring, and Coon for some great action.  There is a bait shop located in Coon Valley called "Spring Creek Angler" at least he was there two years ago.  Make sure to check the trout regulation for size...because just about all of them have different regs.

Big W
Big W

Offline trapsht

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2006, 11:59 AM »
Is fly fishing necessary for catching the trout(I've never fly-fished before)?  I've heard of people throwing small lures such as spinners in these types of waters when they don't know how to throw a fly.

slippinaway

« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2006, 02:51 PM »
You don't have to fly fish, although once you do, you'll be hooked.  You can use little spoons and spinners with spinning/casting gear and catch them.  I take along an ultralight just for those tight spots that I can't fly cast into.  When you move here, find out as much as you can about the Mississippi floats as you can.  If you don't have a boat, they're a good place to go and enjoy the day on open water.....and you can pick people's brains out there, too. :tipup:

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2006, 06:33 PM »
Some lakes you can try south of LaCrosse are Runge, Jersey, and Sidie Hollow.  They are near Westby and Viroqua.  About thirty minutes from town.

Big W
Big W

Offline Dodge Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2006, 09:40 PM »
Your moving to some great water, Lake Onalaska and the river is an awsome fishery.  If your interested I could show you around sometime.  Just give me a shout on here and we can exchange info.

Later

Greg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.