Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 469 times)

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Newbie questions
« on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:24 PM »
I did some searching and reading threads but could not find what I was looking for. My fishing partner is my 14 yr old who is having fun with the sport.

We purchased a Yukon Clam and looking for a pole holder when you need to set pole to the side. Is there a holder that would just clamp or slide over the sled and later could be put away? or do you purchase a pole holder that sits on the ice

I would like a lighter pole mine is super stiff and I tried a spring bobber and I do not like it. The Meat Stick at Scheels is pretty pricey, do they sell one that would be similar in feel with lower price point.

How do you store poles in the sled without  them getting tangled all up, I found some sock looking thing at Scheels from Clam but have no idea if they work.

I am amazed at all the equipment and items you can purchase, last year we had a borrowed hut and free poles so we are slowly upgrading.

Sorry for al the questions, I figure it will save a bunch of posts

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2016, 08:58 PM »
i cut slots in the top lip of the sled of my flip shanty so when seated i have 3 rod holders down low. i use berkley bucket rod holders and slip them down into the slots. i can use a clothes pin to keep them in place when pulling it so they can't pop out.

i use 13 fishing wicked rods only now and they cost 30$. i use frabill titanium strike indicators on all of my rods too.

i like the rod socks too and they keep the tops from tangling. i also use two buckets and built one out of them. i use the bottom 1/4 to set inside and upside down into the main bucket and used butter fly wood cutting bits and make 7 holes in it spaced equally. then i used the rest of the bucket and set it inside to extend the length of the main bucket. i also bought a rod locker and is just a hunk of foam rubber that has holes and slits to the holes to push the rods into to keep them spaced apart on the top.

there is a bunch one can buy no doubt!

you have a nice fishing partner!
look into float suits and safety more than replacing gear.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2016, 01:30 AM »
Rod socks, rod holders, rod bags, rod cases,... Anything to keep them from tangling up.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2016, 04:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies, we do bring life jackets with us and I make him wear it. I found out that Scheels does have the HT poles but sold out of the shorter versions

I will probably purchase two rod socks to also

I would like to see a picture of your bucket design sounds pretty cool

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.