Author Topic: Ultra light reels  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Lonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Ultra light reels
« on: Dec 01, 2004, 03:35 PM »
Which ultra light reels work the best for you guys when you are out icefishing?  Got my eye on a silstar, but never have used one.

Thanks for all input, Lonzo

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Re: Ultra light reels
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2004, 02:29 PM »
I have a Shakespere MicroSpin, and so far, it's been great. The drag, for an UL reel, works well, and it's not made of plastic. So that gets my vote. Send a PM to Bussman. He has a Quantum (can't remember which model) and it's absolutely great. He can probably tell you which model it is. It's sooooooo smooth. Great little reel.

-Zac

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2004, 02:10 PM »
I am looking to buy a couple new reels this year, too.
Any suggestions? I had Cabela's Fish Eagle reels, and they were ok. I'm looking for something that's smoother and it must have instant anti-reverse.
I don't want to subject my Shimano's to the icey abuse...

Offline crappie hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2004, 05:12 PM »
I have tried others until I bought a Tica by Cetus,it's the best little reel out there in my opinion. The Tica also works great on our micros and ultra-lites for summer fishing. :tipup:
~~CRAPPIE HUNTER~~

P Gottshall

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2004, 05:31 PM »
I've been looking for ice reels too.  Last year I used my Shimano 1000's, but they're too big to fit in the new case I got, & are a little bulky on an ice-rod.

I picked up a Silstar off ebay for about $10, but it doesn't compare to my Shimano's.  I guess I didn't pay $40 for it though.

I looked at the ice-reels at Gander Mountain; they have some nice ones, but it looks like I need to spend over $20 to get a decent one.

Paul

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2004, 08:16 AM »
I got some nice small three ball bearing Shakespear reels a Wal-Mart for $17.00 including tax.  They seem to work great for ice fishing.
Follow the bubbles...

hali-man

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2004, 08:22 AM »
Tica by Cetus,it's the best little reel out there in my opinion.

CH- I've heard of these. How much did they cost you?

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2004, 10:14 AM »
I just picked up 2 Daiwa Laguna 1000s.  They have 7 ball bearings, infinite anti reverse, and come with an extra spool.  They aren't cheap, but I've never been happy when I've had to compromise and go with the inexpensive stuff.  You get what you pay for.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2004, 08:47 AM »
Big ditto for the Daiwa Laguna,  I also picked up the 1000 reel.  Very smooth drag, ton of ballbearings and all aluminum frame.  1000 is great for 2lb,  500 would be too small for anything;  too much coiling.  And perhaps 1500 could be used for 4lb or 6lb.   I paid $70 when they frist came out, but it's similar to the Capricorn and $50 bucks cheaper.  I use it with 2lb for trout stream fishing in the spring. 

PIKEGUY

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2004, 02:04 PM »
I got a pretty nice combo from scheels all sports. It is a scheels outfitter series, and honestly, for 40 bucks it was the nicest they had there.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2004, 06:28 AM »
last season, i bought all new reels for my UL jigging rods (2 and 4lb) - i bought 5 quantum xtralight (micro) and all but one of the have now crapped the bed...okuma's smallest reel isnt bad, but i have heard nothing but good things about Tica

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2004, 10:38 AM »
I use Abu Garcia cardinals.  They were inexpensive, seem to be holding up well, and so far haven't frozen up or binded on me at all.  They have infinate anti-reverse as well as a smooth drag.  Granted I only use them for panfish, but they have gotten a couple of bigger pickerel to the hole as well.

Jeff
t'pup!

fishski13

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2004, 04:50 AM »
first post here; great site.  i'm a reel nut ;D.  i'm real picky about having a dependable, smooth drag, no matter what i'm fishing for.  for the price, you can't beat the Sedona series from Shimano.  i decided to try something new this year and  picked up a Rapala model for one of my UL for $35; sweet and smooth, but I have yet to try it on the ice.  this is their first year making reels.  i tried the $30 Tica Cetus in the store with some line spooled and thought the drag sucked wet, lumpy oatmeal.  i recently returned a $30 Daiwa Regal after i spooled it at home and thought the drag really sucked as well.  although i love my Daiwa Tournament SS for open water.  i'm going to try a Laguna later on this/next year.  you get what you pay for but i'm always on the lookout for the biggest bang for the $$$.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2004, 11:19 AM »
I have 6 or 7 Okuma UL-10's that I think are great for ice fishing. They can be found for around $18. I used the drag quite a bit last year and it worked great for me. I have other Okuma's for open water and really like those also. They seem to be built very well and can take abuse. Just my 2 cents worth.
Ken                                          

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2004, 03:11 PM »
I have to agree with fishin fool on the Abu Garcia Cardinals. I've used the AG Cardinal 301, 302 and 303 last season and the season before and found them to be a good all around reel. They have infinite anti-reverse and a nice drag. I replaced the grease with a quality rated -65 deg firearms grease. I did notice a slight wobble on all of them but for $32.00 a piece it's acceptable. I have 2lb on one 301, 4lb on another 301, 6lb on the 302 and 10 lb on the 303. JMO  ;)
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline crappie hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2004, 02:19 AM »
Tica by Cetus,it's the best little reel out there in my opinion.

CH- I've heard of these. How much did they cost you?
There about $30.00 each, picked ours up from Gander Mountain And Fleet Farm.You wont be disappointed if you pick some up.
~~CRAPPIE HUNTER~~

bigdave1018

« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2004, 07:25 AM »
for shallow water panning[ 10 fow or less] i still like just a little plastic reel. i still like to hand over hand the fish. in deeper water for perch , i use a shimano and a quantum because i can get up and down faster with a spinning reel versus the plastic models. i use 4 or 6 lb golden stren or mr crappieline with a 2 ft or so ice leader either ice blue or the new ice black from ht. tight lines, big dave, still waiting for ice, out.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2004, 11:03 PM »
I use Shimano Spirex 500's on ice. I think good quality reels work better and last longer. Plus, if you use light lines and hook into big fish, a smooth drag will save your butt.

Offline indybogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing,hunting and family the best things in life
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2004, 11:09 PM »
I use the tica cetus and I think it runs circles around my penn captiva and all my others since I own a bait shop thats alot of others .If you get a chance check one out quality speaks for itself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.