Author Topic: Berkley Vanish  (Read 3153 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Berkley Vanish
« on: Oct 25, 2004, 06:38 PM »
I have found the berkley vanish fluorocarbon to be quite brittle and doesn't hold up well when tied. What are your experiences with vanish? Are there some stronger brands or fluorocarbon that are flexible and low enough memory to use for ice fishing that are a lot stronger than vanish?

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
Re: Berkley Vanish
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2004, 06:14 PM »
same here!
Anthony

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2004, 08:40 PM »
Seaguar is much better than Vanish. Better in every category. Except price. I dont have the experience with Pline to say much about it. Some guys speak very highly of it. Pline is less expensive than Seaguar. Good Luck
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2004, 12:34 PM »
Vanish is a great line.  Every time I've seen someone have trouble with it, it was because they had sloppy "knotwork".  You have to get your knots good and wet before tightening, and slide them together gently.  Then, you are good to go.  I used 2lb Vanish on my two main gill rods last year, and didn't have one breakoff - including landing several decent pike and some good size largemouth. I have a spool of 2lb Seagur coming soon - I'm looking forward to trying that, I've been impressed with their 8lb fluoro on my walleye tipup rigs.

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2004, 01:27 PM »
I used p line last winter in 4#testfor gills. I was quite happy with it. I didnt break any off. But if your a line watcher forget it. its nearly invisable. I switched to Golden Stren and use a 36 inch leader of p line.Now i can see my line lol.
Bobberstop

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2004, 01:56 PM »
I use Berkley Micro Ice. 2 Lb. Test. Never had ONE fish break off last year. The trick is to use good knots, and make sure that they will hold up before you send your jig down the hole. I even caught two 14" largemouths and a 3-1/2 lb largemouth on the same day using the same knotted jig this past spring just before ice out. It was a matter of setting the drag right, playing the fish right, and having a well tied knot. So in my opinion, any 2lb mono should work decent, just a matter of preference....

Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

hali-man

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2005, 03:50 AM »
I have found the berkley vanish fluorocarbon to be quite brittle and doesn't hold up well when tied. What are your experiences with vanish?

I have Vanish spooled on my light jigging rod and have found it exceptional for panfish, especially gills... The knot strength is fine- I can't break it.
It does have some memory, but I can handle that in exchange for near invisibility.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2005, 07:16 PM »
I now have P-line on my Panfish Poppers, but can't comment as they are still virgins.

I haven't used really light Vanish, but I have used some of the heavier line - not exactly sure what weight - and that is what I landed the walleye that are in the tourney on.

Overall, I have had more issues over time with knots than with line...I think I am getting better at them though.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline UPSTATE ICEMASTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Powers Of "FISH ATTRACTANT"
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2005, 10:16 PM »
 :tipup: I HAVE NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THE VANISH I US IT FOR ALL OF MY FISHIN WETHER ITS ON THE FROZEN LAKES OR IF IT IN THE TROUT STREAMS I REALLY LIKE IT BUT THATS JUST MY 2 CENTS :tipup:
" JUST TRYIN TO GET HER DONE"

Offline trainwreck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2005, 02:48 PM »
They call it Vanish because thats what happens to your fish and your lure when you use it. I put many dollars worth of salmon tackle in the lake experimenting with that line. If fish were so line shy why do billions of them get caught in commercial nets and gill nets made with thick nylon?

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2005, 03:03 PM »
I love the seaguar as a leader material on my tipups and tipdowns.  I use 4 pound for perch, and either 6 or 8 for the walleyes, and never had a breakoff.  I even caught a few northerns  (32 inchers)last year while perch fishing on the 4 pound leaders with no problems.  It also seems to take a lot of abuse, and since I use it only as a leader material the cost is justified. 

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2005, 04:16 PM »
I've only used it in 4lb test.  I like the stuff.  P-line is okay too.  One thing to consider, tie good knots, and not clinch knots.  Trilene knot, uni knot, or palomar knot.

Anybody tried the Vanish Transition?  It is supposed to turn yellow in the presence of UV rays.  It would be a lot easier to see and tie knots with.  Still supposed to be invisible underwater.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

BAIT GUY

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2005, 10:04 AM »
I've only used it in 4lb test.  I like the stuff.  P-line is Kay too.  One thing to consider, tie good knots, and not clinch knots.  Trilene knot, uni knot, or palomar knot.

Anybody tried the Vanish Transition?  It is supposed to turn yellow in the presence of UV rays.  It would be a lot easier to see and tie knots with.  Still supposed to be invisible underwater.

Fishrmn
I've used the new transition in fall turns bright gold in sunlight it works but I could not get used to the Bright color will not use it again

hali-man

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2005, 10:06 AM »
Anybody tried the Vanish Transition? 

I like it.  8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.