Author Topic: Marcum LX-3tc used less than 5 hours of use and dont work  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Bobbyg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you live in the past, you will have no future..
anyone else have this happen

I have an older Marcum Lx-3tc bought brand new and only used it once. havent used it in 2 years because of warm winters where I live and no safe ice. And only would use flashers on certain lakes and ponds And So before I put  it away I charged my flasher battery and then unplug it completley from the battery and put it away in a sealed container, stored in my house.

I took it out the box this year and plugged it in and battery showed 90% and turned the unit on and all it does is beep. I even tested the battery and its good, but out of frustration I just bought a new battery and tried it again same results. I have such short seasons here in my state and am a little disappointed this unit couldn’t last 2 years of just sitting in a sealed container in my house. after researching the internet, it seems this is a common problem with the dreaded death beep when turning on the unit. Mind you I take care of my equipment and it is not abused. I just don’t understand how your flasher can just fail sitting not being used? And I know its out of warranty So,You would think the motors would last longer than this on a unit that cost this much.

So I send it back and today I get the email that it repaired and they are sending it back. $93.75 later, How does a unit need new brushes and contacts and motor being used less than 5 hours?  Sad to say unles my old parts are in the box, you really dont know if the work was acutally done.

Has anyone else had this happen with marcum. you think the technicain would look at a unit and know its hardly been used and just fix it up and not charge their customer.

From what I hear Vexilar has better customer service and porducts and I might just buy a new Vexilar and put this back in its box and store it again. and in 2 years open it up and plug it in and wait the death beep. ::)

Here are the notes from the technician:
Replaced motor, motor brushes and contacts to get display spinning properly and to prevent shifting signals.

We anticipate your unit being returned within a few days.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Shipping Department
Negative People Are Like Black Holes, They Will Suck The Life Out Of You.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marcum LX-3tc used less than 5 hours of use and dont work
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:35 AM »
that's crazy there is no way the brushes go out after 5 hrs. They have had motor problems but I don't think even that could go that fast. Contacts possible but that is minor $ fix. I'd be steaming mad. Whatever that thing cost new now add on 93.75 more and you could have gotten a Vex 18 or 20. They have been giving everyone free transducers when units going in to be repaired even if the transducers are still good. I think you got hosed.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:24 AM »
pretty common really, my lx3tc motor went out in about 14 outings or so.lots of guys have sent theirs in multiple times for junk motors.i had 3 units all go out under warranty still.i wasn't dealing with sending them in for repair all the time and sold each one after i got them back from Marcum.good customer service but unreliable flashers.imo.new brushless models are probably a lot better, but I'm never going Marcum brand again.

Offline Bobbyg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you live in the past, you will have no future..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2018, 02:29 PM »
that's crazy there is no way the brushes go out after 5 hrs. They have had motor problems but I don't think even that could go that fast. Contacts possible but that is minor $ fix. I'd be steaming mad. Whatever that thing cost new now add on 93.75 more and you could have gotten a Vex 18 or 20. They have been giving everyone free transducers when units going in to be repaired even if the transducers are still good. I think you got hosed.

I think you might be right, I just got hosed and they lost a customer. brand new units should NOT go bad from sitting in the box and they should have honored it. its their bad parts that caused the problem. so off to Vexilar I go...
Negative People Are Like Black Holes, They Will Suck The Life Out Of You.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2018, 04:12 PM »
I was on the vex site today and I'm pretty sure I read that brushes will last 5-7 years if your unit is used heavily.  Keep leaning on them until you are satisfied. Be persistant

I have some old flashers here that have brushes and they still work; some over 30 years old some over 25 yrs. old and these did not sit idle

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Sorry to hear you've had some trouble, OP.  I've used my LX-3tc for 7 entire ice seasons, each ice season since 2011 without any problems.  No issues.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:39 PM »
Get a vex, very reliable, they can handle lots of accidental abuse & customer sevice is great

Chute82

« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:56 PM »
I was on the vex site today and I'm pretty sure I read that brushes will last 5-7 years if your unit is used heavily.  Keep leaning on them until you are satisfied. Be persistant

I have some old flashers here that have brushes and they still work; some over 30 years old some over 25 yrs. old and these did not sit idle

5-7 yrs then my vex and I should be on their next commercial because mine is 20+ yrs old and use it yr round still going strong.  Think about sending it in for a tune up but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it...

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:03 PM »
I know chute so do I. Just ? why they would charge for motor and Brushes after 5 hrs.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:47 PM »
I feel for you, as I was in nearly exact same boat ( I mean ice shelter)

LX5 used one day...on second day, the motor unit went kaputz...close to end of ice season, so I sort of just left it sitting on my shelf.  Well finally a few years later, I did just sent my units in for service this ice season.  Well it's all working now, but I did had to pay the service charge fee. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:21 PM »
sounds like the brushes just stuck and wont let anything turn, this happens on a ton of brushed motors and what not. hence all the new brushless drills and brushless flashers. they are not fool proof. Does suck it was only 5 hours of use but having anything sit around for 2 years letting lubes congeal and things like that can happen.

Offline Iceballs204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Sorry to hear about that brother man. It's so sad to hear this time and time again. I live in canada and we can ice fish as early as mid nov and as late as May   I would absolutely lose it if my sonar died on me like that. 5 hrs of use are you kidding.  To have a unit not last a season. Not last a year, a season     And reading some US posts of a season being a month long, it would absolutely suck losing it for 2 weeks 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.