Author Topic: Deep Freeze Auger/Drill Quick Connect  (Read 1419 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Deep Freeze Auger/Drill Quick Connect
« on: Dec 09, 2020, 08:51 AM »
I seen a video on this a few months ago and knew I had to pick one up when they were available.    Finally got one in the other day and checked it out.  Quality item for sure!    This is going to work awesome for easy disconnect of the drill or changing between augers (if you use multiple sizes).  For me what I like best about is that they also offer an anchor tool so very quick and easy changing between drilling holes and setting anchors.   Also will be nice to pop the drill off for transportation and storage.      I did a quick video of it here:    https://fb.watch/2gD6O5SsD4/

Also more details on the Deep Freeze website.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Deep Freeze Quick Connect
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2020, 09:40 AM »
Yep. Looks very much like the MKE 7/16" Quik Lok chuck. I replaced the standard keyed chuck on my MKE mud mixer with one and love it. FWIW it also works with a "3 flat secure" shaft as found on the K-Drill. Don't ask me how that works but I can't get that drill out unless I release the QC collar. It holds a simple 7/16" hex shaft that way too. I feel better about having the groove on the end that engages a secondary locking mechanism.

With that I don't need any foam, flotation or disc as there's no way that auger is coming out until I release the collar. Of course, yours still relies on the keyed chuck so anything you put on there is at risk.

Other advantages of the quick connect are being able to break down your auger to tote in a smaller sled, the ability to place your driver in a safer place or the option to change drill sizes or other accessories at will. There's even Quik Lox extensions available.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
Re: Deep Freeze Auger/Drill Quick Connect
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2020, 09:59 AM »
I picked up a quick lok system as well as the ice anchor from DeepFreeze and it's on the way. Can't wait to give it a try. The ability to disconnect at will when travelling from location to location will be great. Glad to hear the positive reviews!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2020, 01:02 PM »
I really want to get one of these, but unfortuantely, they don't make one for the Nils yet.  I've sent a few pictures to Deep Freeze and they said they're hoping to devlop one in the future.  Fingers crossed!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2020, 01:19 PM »
I really want to get one of these, but unfortuantely, they don't make one for the Nils yet.  I've sent a few pictures to Deep Freeze and they said they're hoping to devlop one in the future.  Fingers crossed!

Too bad...that was exactly my question.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2020, 11:40 PM »
What's the big advantage if someone is only using the drill for an auger bit and not using the drill to screw in anchors? It take me a couple of seconds to put my auger bit into my drill and tighten down the chuck. So what's so great about this new item if someone is only using their drill for an auger bit?

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2020, 09:12 AM »
What's the big advantage if someone is only using the drill for an auger bit and not using the drill to screw in anchors? It take me a couple of seconds to put my auger bit into my drill and tighten down the chuck. So what's so great about this new item if someone is only using their drill for an auger bit?

a few advantages

1: quick release and connect for transporting and storage

2: Some of the augers such as the Pistol Bit have only a little bit of clearance between the safety disc and the chuck which makes it hard to torque for those with big hands

3: some drills such as the mud mixer have a keyed chuck with this you only have to key tighten once

Big advantages? That's for you to decide...

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2020, 09:21 AM »
Too bad...that was exactly my question.
The problem with the Nils is that there's a couple different ways to attach a drill, depending which Nils auger you have. The Trekker/Convertible augers have the hex drill attachment post, which sticks out to attach your drill to. The regular blue Nils hand auger doesn't have that hex post, so the aftermarket (Kovac) drill adapters couldn't accommodate the Trekker/Convertible Nils since it would be too shallow. Deep Freeze doesn't want to have to make two different adapters, depending which Nils you have. They're hoping to make an adapter that's a little deeper that would accommodate both the blue hand Nils and the Trekker/Convertible with the Nils drill adapter.  Here's a couple pics showing the difference between the two.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2021, 07:49 AM »
I just wanted to let everyone know that Brad from Deep Freeze emailed me this morning to let me know that the Nils adapter is available.  It's up on their website now.  How's everyone liking these who has them for their other augers?

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2021, 11:00 AM »
Switching back and forth from auger to anchor tool then a quick pop off for storage and travel has been working great for me. No signs of chuck slippage at all yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.