Author Topic: HELP!!!!  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• IceShanty Rookie
HELP!!!!
« on: Nov 15, 2007, 11:22 AM »
Hey everyone,

I just moved to Boise from Sioux Falls, South Dakota and have an unhealthy addiction to ice fishing.  Coming from a state where you can ice fish 6 months out of the year for monster perch and walleyes I need to get a fix.  I’m having a difficult time finding anywhere in southwest Idaho to ice fish and need some recommendations PLEASE.  If I can’t find a place to set up my gear and pull in some fish I may have to leave the girlfriend behind and move back to South Dakota.  Any recommendations would be a huge help.  My girlfriend and I may be signing a 1 year lease next week so time is of the essence.

Thanks to everyone that replies!

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
Re: HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2007, 11:36 AM »
Hey everyone,

I just moved to Boise from Sioux Falls, South Dakota and have an unhealthy addiction to ice fishing.  Coming from a state where you can ice fish 6 months out of the year for monster perch and walleyes I need to get a fix.  I’m having a difficult time finding anywhere in southwest Idaho to ice fish and need some recommendations PLEASE.  If I can’t find a place to set up my gear and pull in some fish I may have to leave the girlfriend behind and move back to South Dakota.  Any recommendations would be a huge help.  My girlfriend and I may be signing a 1 year lease next week so time is of the essence.

Thanks to everyone that replies!

RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

Offline Dan Houg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2007, 11:48 AM »
G- Dog you had better get packing or you are going to miss the best part of the ice season!

Offline Dakota Kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2007, 12:13 PM »
Whats up Houg,

I don't even think they have walleyes out here.  I'VE GOT THE FEVER!!!!

Offline insuranceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2007, 04:13 PM »
Mark,

You don't even need to pack.  I have your ice auger in my garage and plenty of rods!  Get in your truck, face east and hit the accelerator.  I'm sure Dan would even let you on the Cold Snap Pro Team if you came back.
When was the last time you had customers?

Offline idahoiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2007, 10:58 AM »
     Well I can tell you that Ice fishing in Idaho will be nothing like South Dakota. With that said there are a couple options. The best option is Lake Cascade 1 1/2 hours north of Boise. A lot of smaller perch with some bigger 13" fish mixed in. Not much for Walleye around. There are a total of 3 bodies of water in Idaho with Walleye in them. Best option is Salmon Falls Reservoir out of Twin Falls. Takes about 3 hours to get there, The state record was caught their last year(17 lbs.). You always have the Columbia river to the west. Takes about the same amount of time to get there. There are a couple more options for ice fishing in Idaho, but nothing that is really close. I live out in Nampa by Lake Lowell. It has safe Ice for about A week out of the Season, but never done any good out there. The lake is good for slab crappie,bluegill,large & smallmouth bass, catfish, some perch and even some trout. Its just for ice fishing you have such a small window of opportunity.

Offline Dakota Kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2007, 12:08 PM »
Thanks iceman, If i decide to get all my gear out here looks like cascade will be the place to fish.  Thanks for the info.  Do you know what kind of fish are caught on cascade through the ice besides perch?  I had the opportunity to catch some trout through the ice once and it was a lot of fun with trout being cold blooded and all.  The ones we were catching were about 13 to 14 inches.  How big do they get up at cascade?

Offline Dan Houg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2007, 12:37 PM »
I thought you died or something!  I still have the same cell number.  I sent you pictures of the fish I caught from a boat in front of your dock on Madison last summer didn't I?!!

Offline idahoiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2007, 01:13 PM »
Thanks iceman, If i decide to get all my gear out here looks like cascade will be the place to fish.  Thanks for the info.  Do you know what kind of fish are caught on cascade through the ice besides perch?  I had the opportunity to catch some trout through the ice once and it was a lot of fun with trout being cold blooded and all.  The ones we were catching were about 13 to 14 inches.  How big do they get up at cascade?

They do catch alot of trout through the ice at cascade also. I have heard of fish 3 - 7 lbs being caught their. We were targeting perch last year so we were bouncing jigs off the bottom. I'm told the trout are a little higher up. Another place to try for trout is that Salmon falls Creek reservoir. People fishing for perch,crappie & walleye their always complain that they can't get past the trout to get to the other fish. I have lived in Idaho for about six years now and my first year I went down their trying to get walleye, but all we caught were trout. Nice ones to (12-18"). Their is another reservoir south of Boise Cj Strike reservoir that I have heard of guys ice fishing back in the shallows and doing really well for trout. What you need to do is get hooked into the sturgeon fishing at cj strike. They bite all year long. They get up to 10' long in their.

We went to cascade last year the week after Christmas and their was about 8" of ice. I'm hoping to make it up there by mid-december this year, We'll see what happens. Let me know If you have any other questions.

Offline Dakota Kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2007, 04:00 PM »
Houg,

You didn't catch crap out infront of our cabin because one, you'd never fish madison and two you only fish lakes that are a tad bigger than your boat and put in off the ditch.  You wouldn't use a boat ramp.  Same phone # I just couldn't get pics out here until a couple months ago.

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2007, 04:23 PM »
Fish for taters!!!
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline Prophet5150

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2007, 11:55 PM »
I have lived in the Twin Falls area for most of my life and seriously do not recommend sturgeon fishing!!!! it is a serious addiction that can and will ruin all of your other fishing ;D!!! But on a serious side Salmon Dam (Salmon Falls Res.) is really good when it freezes, Ive only been strung-out in ice(fishing) ;D for a couple years and from what I gather some years the ice isnt very good (safe), but north of T.F. there is Magic Res., has pretty good Perch fishing and some really nice trout too!! If you do venture to Salmon Dam and find Wallys let me know! I about drilled all of the ice out of the res. trying to find them but never did. By the way if fishin at Salmon Dam isnt any good Jackpot is just 15-20 minutes down the road, and if your luck there isnt any good just keep goin south (about 45 min.) to Wells ;D ;D!!!! guaranteed to score there :tipup:!!!

Offline idahoiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2007, 07:34 PM »
I have lived in the Twin Falls area for most of my life and seriously do not recommend sturgeon fishing!!!! it is a serious addiction that can and will ruin all of your other fishing ;D!!! But on a serious side Salmon Dam (Salmon Falls Res.) is really good when it freezes, Ive only been strangest in ice(fishing) ;D for a couple years and from what I gather some years the ice isn't very good (safe), but north of T.F. there is Magic Res., has pretty good perch fishing and some really nice trout too!! If you do venture to Salmon Dam and find Wallys let me know! I about drilled all of the ice out of the res. trying to find them but never did. By the way if fishin at Salmon Dam isnt any good Jackpot is just 15-20 minutes down the road, and if your luck there isnt any good just keep goin south (about 45 min.) to Wells ;D ;D!!!! guaranteed to score there :tipup:!!!

Do you fish right at the dam? How thick is the ice? I have iced fished down the reservoir futher but never at the dam. How deep of water have you fished in? I would love to get some walleye down there i just never thought the dam would have enough ice being as deep as it is. is the road going to the dam easy to travel on in the winter?

Offline Prophet5150

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2007, 01:41 AM »
iceman, I usually fish the south end, usually Norton Bay area, there are 3-4 bays in that area that are readily accessible and have fairly good roads, there are also signs on hiway 93 marking the roads. If you try up by the dam be careful!, from what I have heard the ice is always the thinnest there. I usually fish in about 25-30ft of water as that is where I have had the best results for both trout and perch, and have fished from about 5-50ft trying to find wallys but never had any luck, come to think of it I have never caught a wally through the ice :(. Hope this helps!!!!

Offline Dakota Kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:48 AM »
Prophet, how thick does the ice get down there.  I heard there are some monster walleyes in that res. 

Offline Prophet5150

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2007, 01:06 AM »
Last year the ice during Jan. was 24-30in., Yes they do have some pretty good sized wallys, even caught some of them during the summer, but like I said I havent been able to find them once the ice hits, but I will keep trying!!!! :tipup:

Offline plumrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2007, 03:08 PM »
Hello! I am a newbe to the forum. Have been visiting for a few years though. I live about a Quarter of a mile from Cascade Res. I fish it allot. I would be more than happy to let you all know the Ice conditions. The south end is freezing up nicely. You should think about coming up for the ice fishing derby. We have allot fun. We also take our sleds into some High mountain lakes once and a while. Get a few nice trout.
"We were not put on this earth to judge, just to observe"

Offline idahoiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2007, 05:38 PM »
Hello! I am a newbe to the forum. Have been visiting for a few years though. I live about a Quarter of a mile from Cascade Res. I fish it allot. I would be more than happy to let you all know the Ice conditions. The south end is freezing up nicely. You should think about coming up for the ice fishing derby. We have allot fun. We also take our sleds into some High mountain lakes once and a while. Get a few nice trout.

Hi There!

Last year was my first year ice fishing at Cascade. We had a great time. Caught a lot of smaller perch, but still kept busy all day long. Is the south end fishable yet? How much ice do you think there is? I was thinking about coming up this weekend but I thought it might be a little early. Its good to see there are other local ice fisherman on here.

Offline plumrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2007, 10:31 AM »
Iceman

I don't believe that the the south end is safe yet. We had allot of wind yesterday and it broke up some of the ice. When the rest of the lake freezes it will help. It's been snowing all night, we have 12" of new snow and coming down fast. But it's suppose to turn to rain this afternoon. That won't help the ice. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Dakota Kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2007, 12:20 PM »
Hey rod, what do you guys use for bait up there on cascade?  I read that no live bait allowed in idaho.

Offline plumrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:26 PM »
Yes. You can't use live bait. So I use some cut bait, worms & mellows, Jig for perch. Power bait works sometimes. Just use what ever. And change it up if it doesn't work. With five lines per person you can put allot of good stuff in the water at one time. I like to run and gun so if they are not hitting one place I'll go somewhere else.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2008, 02:36 PM »
Whats up Houg,

I don't even think they have walleyes out here.  I'VE GOT THE FEVER!!!!
try oneida res. they've got some nice walleye in there, but otherwise, get used to trout and panfish, the panfish actually are great table fare and common especially perch in the winter, trout don't usually go under 10-12 inches and are also great eating.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.