New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I love fishing Saratoga Lake.  (Read 5448 times)

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
I love fishing Saratoga Lake.
« on: Dec 10, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Hey Guys,
Last year I got to Ice fish Saratoga lake and I fell in love with the lake. I fished the Lake a few times this year out in my Kayak and made a couple of youtube video. Catching those Monster Blue gills is absolute blast!!! ;D ;D Those Blue Gills fight so hard , you swear your fighting 4 pound small mouth bass :o :o :o. Anyways i am hoping some one out there will let me tag along to show me the ropes on how to catch those walleyes that are in the lake. I promise I will not give way your secret spots or special techniques. If this sounds like something you would love to do let me know and PM me.

Hope we can get the Ice soon.. ??? ??? ???

Bigwiggle
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I love fishing Saratoga Lake.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Good luck my friend. Sharing a secret Waldo spot on toga is like sharing the wife for some of the diehards on this site!

Offline dstaples002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2015, 06:12 PM »
That was probably the funniest thing I heard today.  ;D

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2015, 06:17 PM »
Iv fished it quite a bit and only got the eyes at and just after dark. Your not kiddin about the gills thougb. We have a couple spots we hit th deep in he summer and when you find them it can be hours of fun. Iv never been able to find them in the winter. I see a lot of guys out there super shallow off Fitch Rd but habe never found them in there either.

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2015, 11:25 PM »
Iv fished it quite a bit and only got the eyes at and just after dark. Your not kiddin about the gills thougb. We have a couple spots we hit th deep in he summer and when you find them it can be hours of fun. Iv never been able to find them in the winter. I see a lot of guys out there super shallow off Fitch Rd but habe never found them in there either.

Keep searching, they move around a little bit. A buddy of mine put us on some nice gills last year. But, to find them we drilled a good 30+ holes. But when you find'em, it was fun as he11, I was in my little shanty bent over site fishing in like 5-6 FOW.  ;D No need for flasher, just look down the hole and watch these little dark spots flying around and bait disappearing.  ;)

But, as for the walleye, just keep hunting, there are tons of eye in the lake but have been very hard to find or pattern. It's always been a hit or miss for me in the past, that is why I just don't really put the time in any more. Plus, it's one he11 of a walk to get to where I used to night fish for them thru the ice.

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2015, 11:39 AM »
Fish at night and cover lots of water. Usually if you catch one you have found them for that night.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2015, 03:11 PM »
It looks like i will have to try the night time thing, sounds like the way to go. Here is another Question? Is there any local derbies that involve the lake?

Thanks again
Bigwiggle
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2015, 04:22 PM »
I basically live on the lake and can count on one hand the number of walleye I have caught.  Im sure some guys can get on a consistent pattern but it can't be easy and must take a ton of time time to pattern. I always end up just going to lake george for ice season instead.  The only time I have ever gotten walleye through ice on toga was early ice.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:27 PM »
There's no walleye in toga...  ;)

P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline rpdfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Not anymore!!!!!!!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Man those things arnt long, but they sure are skinny. Wait what?

Lol jk

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Man those things arnt long, but they sure are skinny. Wait what?

Lol jk

Theyr'e definitely not 10+ pounders you guys get up your way but than again I wouldn't care to eat a 10 pounder... these are good eaters,,, the biggest I've seen caught by a friend of mine recently was 7lb 7 oz.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2015, 08:13 AM »
Lol.   This post is funny.    Hey show me were the walleyes are and I won't tell nobody.  Even though I post videos of ever spot I fish.       Well toga us a good eye lake and the ones that do good are closed lipped about it.    So when the ice comes I will blur out my background and show how good the winter time fishing on the lake will be.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2015, 10:23 AM »
If you want to get eyes in yoga you got search them out. Guys will not tell you where to find them. It's unlike onieda in that you can drive by onieda and get a good idea of where there's some eyes based on the shanty towns that are out there. Even if you dont want to fish a shanty town you can find out what they are fishing structure wise and it gives you a good idea what to find elsewhere on the lake. You would t see that on toga because they're simply are not nearly as many eyes in toga and when someone finds them they keep it quite. I will say that most of mine have come on the dead stick rod while jigging right next to it with the usual suspects, jiggin raps, spoons etc.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2015, 10:34 AM »
Theyr'e definitely not 10+ pounders you guys get up your way but than again I wouldn't care to eat a 10 pounder... these are good eaters,,, the biggest I've seen caught by a friend of mine recently was 7lb 7 oz.

I was jk my man that is a great duffle of walleyes there. I would rather catch eaters too. 10 pounders arnt good for anything really after you get a couple under your belt the fun is over. So then your not putting them on the wall and your not eating them. Id rather stay in 20-22" walleyes.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2015, 10:39 AM »
I was jk my man that is a great duffle of walleyes there. I would rather catch eaters too. 10 pounders arnt good for anything really after you get a couple under your belt the fun is over. So then your not putting them on the wall and your not eating them. Id rather stay in 20-22" walleyes.

Oh I know you were joking, no worries... you guys have a great fishery in the river by you, one day I'll make it up there to fish it

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2015, 11:14 AM »
Oh I know you were joking, no worries... you guys have a great fishery in the river by you, one day I'll make it up there to fish it

My best apot for walleyes might not freeze this year at all.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2015, 04:12 PM »
The panfish in `toga lake can get BIG.
Master Laker taker.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2015, 04:53 PM »
my best night on the lake was surrounded by tip-ups and a dead stick ,then in another hole slowly jigging a sonar make it move just enough to attract their attention and the still baits will do the rest. sorry I cannot say where on the lake 

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Do you toga pros do better in the shallows at night or in deeper water during daylight?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2015, 01:24 AM »
Do you toga pros do better in the shallows at night or in deeper water during daylight?
It depends on where you fish it, but I was say look at all the top end of the breaks/drop offs. So I would say in the 7 - 12 FOW, but I know people saying that they've seen them on fish cameras swimming through the shallow weeds too during the day, so you know they have to feed at some time.  ;D

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2015, 02:17 AM »

I have done well on the lake but I can say I have never been able to pattern them. I know of some great spots and do good one night and go back the next night and not mark a fish until the 3rd or 4th spot of that night. It's a weird lake for what ever reason.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2015, 11:03 AM »
I appreciate  some of the advice on here. I will definitely try to fish this lake more and learn by trial and error of what to do. I hope you all have a great season on the ice and i hope to chat with with some of you on the Ice.

take care
BW

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2015, 11:05 AM »
There's no walleye in toga...  ;)

Nate how you been buddy ??? I had a blast last year fishing with you. I will never Forget the night we had last year on the ice with me getting stuck out there. Anyways PM me because i believe i lost your number. It was stored in my old phone which went down a ice hole when i was fishing at bomo in VT .

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2015, 02:09 PM »
I appreciate  some of the advice on here. I will definitely try to fish this lake more and learn by trial and error of what to do. I hope you all have a great season on the ice and i hope to chat with with some of you on the Ice.

take care
BW
If and when we finally get some ice, if you have a monday off, maybe we can hook up for a day on shared ice fishing. Just send me a PM.  @)

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2015, 10:28 PM »
If and when we finally get some ice, if you have a monday off, maybe we can hook up for a day on shared ice fishing. Just send me a PM.  @)
Thanks and I would love together and share storie . I will pm soo .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.