New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Watertown & Syracuse Tackle Shops  (Read 4774 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Watertown & Syracuse Tackle Shops
« on: Nov 14, 2005, 08:30 AM »
Hey guys...I live in Kingston was thinking about taking a day trip across the border to pick up some fishing supplies. Does anyone have any places they recommend in the Watertown or Syracuse area? I will be making  a trek to the BPS on the 10th and 11th and thought we may be able to make some more stops

any suggestions?

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
Re: Watertown & Syracuse Tackle Shops
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2005, 08:34 AM »
Gander Mountain. Just of Rt 81, north of Syracuse
Pete Lewis

Offline iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • nothin like hard h2o
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2005, 10:20 AM »
In  Watertown,
http://www.gandermountain.com/storelocator/storedetail.asp_Q_store_id_E_99
 and believe or not..... Eckerd Drug store  at the same exit off 81 only east a little has a heck of a fishing dept.
http://www2.eckerd.com/StoreLocator.asp#top

I'm a couple of hours away myself, let us know of any good sales!!
guy

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2005, 10:45 AM »
The past couple of weeks on ESPN radio, a place called "Fat Nancy's" has been advertising that they have a bunch of ice gear available.  I've personally never been there (it's in Pulaski, I believe), but maybe someone else can point us in the right direction.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2005, 11:14 AM »
The past couple of weeks on ESPN radio, a place called "Fat Nancy's" has been advertising that they have a bunch of ice gear available.  I've personally never been there (it's in Pulaski, I believe), but maybe someone else can point us in the right direction.

Yeah, Fat nancy's is just off 81. Just take the Pulaski exit. I believe it's right next to Ponderosa, on the left.

-Zach

dwayne

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2005, 11:20 AM »
Fat Nancy is extremely expensive.  They take advantage of all the Pulaski fisherman during the peak of the salmon/steelhead season and try to spill their profits over to the winter time.

The eckerds in Watertown has a really good selection of ice fishing gear usually near the middle of december.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2005, 03:19 PM »
Fat Nancy is extremely expensive.  They take advantage of all the Pulaski fisherman during the peak of the salmon/steelhead season and try to spill their profits over to the winter time.

As is pretty much any bait shop in the Pulaski area.  ::)

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2005, 04:05 PM »
In  Watertown,
http://www.gandermountain.com/storelocator/storedetail.asp_Q_store_id_E_99
 and believe or not..... Eckerd Drug store  at the same exit off 81 only east a little has a heck of a fishing dept.
http://www2.eckerd.com/StoreLocator.asp#top

I'm a couple of hours away myself, let us know of any good sales!!

I thought that particular Eckerd removed its sporting goods department last year or the year before.  Have you been in recently?

IJ - someplace on either IS or MFF, there used to be a bait shop thread... I can't seem to find it right now though.  :P
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline PikerDude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2005, 07:27 PM »
There is a Herb Philipson's in Watertown also,they usually have a decent amount of stuff.

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2005, 10:08 PM »
1,000 Island bait shop should have some stuff as its pretty large for a private bait shop I'd say.    Which is accrross the 1,000 Island bridge.   
    In Syracuse your looking at Gander, Dicks, and a smaller personally owned place out by gander (cant remember the name of it for the life of me though)   
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2005, 08:24 AM »
Thanx Guys Much appreciated...later on once the ice hits I may rely on your help to find some good hard water in this same area.....thanx again

Offline iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • nothin like hard h2o
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2005, 09:34 AM »
I thought that particular Eckerd removed its sporting goods department last year or the year before.  Have you been in recently?

Hey Chucker, you could be right. I havent been there in a few years.....to bad if they don't.  Anyone else know for sure?

guy

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2005, 10:46 AM »

Thanks for the info, dwayne.  Saved me a trip and getting upset.  I like to find deals, not have one made on me. (Besides - I emailed them and they don't carry any Nils stuff, which I am currently looking for.)

dwayne

« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2005, 11:16 AM »
Thanks for the info, dwayne.  Saved me a trip and getting upset.  I like to find deals, not have one made on me. (Besides - I emailed them and they don't carry any Nils stuff, which I am currently looking for.)

not a problem.  I was in there last month and was quite shocked by their prices.  They are even high for Pulaski!!

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2005, 01:40 PM »
Slipbob - Thanks, I'm looking to upgrade the auger for this year.

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2005, 09:15 PM »
1,000 Island bait shop should have some stuff as its pretty large for a private bait shop I'd say.    Which is accrross the 1,000 Island bridge.   
    In Syracuse your looking at Gander, Dicks, and a smaller personally owned place out by gander (cant remember the name of it for the life of me though)   

You thinking of Mickey's, Jim?

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2005, 09:14 PM »
You thinking of Mickey's, Jim?

yep thats the name
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2005, 09:40 PM »
Guys,

Eckerds, which used to be Fays removed their fishing department a number of years ago.  Good Ice Fishing equipment can be had at Gander in Watertown and 1000 island bait shop (pricey, but he usually has what you want). 

In Pulaski, Fat Nancy's is not the place to go for ice equipment (very limited supply and as someone has already pointed out, tends to have higher prices than most.  All Seasons Sports is across from the C and M Diner (just as you get off exit 36 Pulaski).  The guy who owns this is fair and will work with you (unfortunately, his selection is rather limited as well). 

A good place to go for bait and decent ice supplies is Woody's in Port Ontario (close to Pulaski).  Great service and quality equipment (including Nils augers).

I have a cottage in Henderson and do essentially all my ice fishing in and around the Pulaski-Sandy Creek-Watertown, 1000 islands area. 

If you need additional info regarding places to fish and how to catch them, I am always willing to help.  I am not one of those guys that shows you tons of fish and then tells you I caught them at Lake X using Lure B.

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:04 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com