The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 6" Nils and Drill not working!  (Read 8227 times)

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
6" Nils and Drill not working!
« on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:46 PM »
 >:( I was out today and hoping to try my new drill on my Nils. When I started to drill the nils would start dancing around or kind of bouncing .  It seemed that it didn't want to grab. I tried different speeds and pressure. I put my nils handle on to make sure it wasn't the blade,it cut fine. The only thing I can say is the ice was 6" and seemed to be a little soft. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I'm really Peezed after spending the money for a good drill. I just don get it! HELP!

FISHFORPIKE

Re: 6" Nils and Drill not working!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:49 PM »
What are you using for an adapter to the drill?  Any wobble (like when not drilling ice)?

Offline manitron2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Make sure your drill is not in reverse.
Get off the fence and protect your rights!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Make sure your drill is not in reverse.

My vote...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:58 PM »
Make sure it's not set to hammer drill

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Not in reverse and on regular drill setting. I'm using A Kovac ice master nils drill adapter.

Offline deerslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:37 PM »
Use slowest speed on drill.

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:47 PM »
I control the speed with the trigger. I tried slow to fast and it did the same thing. I guess I'll have to try it again and see if the ice conditions change any thing.

Offline deerslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:00 PM »
Oh ok. I use a M18 Fuel Milwaukee and if my speed setting is on "2" instead of "1" the auger will try to walk around a bit. On the slowest speed I've never had an issue. You may have other problems though if you tried all speeds. Weird.

Offline wildlifer100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Did you gentally set it on the ice or slam it down.   Could have bent the blade.     I use a dewalt 20 v. On the lowest setting.    Make sure you are straight up and down. It will dance if you don't.   Check for burr on the the blade.    Make sure the chuck is properly placed on the auger head.   

Pm me a pic of the blades and the drill attachment if you can't figure it out.   You did leave the blade guard on did you.   Just kidding. 

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:00 PM »
I'm very careful with the nils head. I have a brand new 6" head that I'm going to put on just for the hell of it. It might be a bit before I get out again but I guess I'll try It. I'll get back here after I try that. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:17 PM »
Needs to be sharpened, time to send it to Frank.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:55 PM »
but the drill in your tool box and buy a good power auger

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2019, 04:07 AM »
try using it by hand and see if it works that way

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2019, 04:43 AM »
you got a center point on the nils

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2019, 07:11 AM »
but the drill in your tool box and buy a good power auger

Then you can also use it as a boat anchor in the off season.

Milwaukee Fuel drill and Nils for life.

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Nills is junk auger. Bought a brand new one ruined head sent to get sharpened couldn't fix not buying a new head put it to the curb for scrap guy. Cheap Mora for life.

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:30 AM »
Nills is junk auger. Bought a brand new one ruined head sent to get sharpened couldn't fix not buying a new head put it to the curb for scrap guy. Cheap Mora for life.

How did you ruin the head? You can also buy replacement heads if you screw up your edge too much to be sharpened.

Sounds like you had the Chinese knock off, Nills with 2 Ls. ;D I'd honestly rather pee holes through the ice than go back to using a Mora.

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Didn't take much to knock it off center. Hated looking at it in the garage.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:15 AM »
Needs to be sharpened, time to send it to Frank.
try using it by hand and see if it works that way
Did you gentally set it on the ice or slam it down.   Could have bent the blade.     I use a dewalt 20 v. On the lowest setting.    Make sure you are straight up and down. It will dance if you don't.   Check for burr on the the blade.    Make sure the chuck is properly placed on the auger head.   

Pm me a pic of the blades and the drill attachment if you can't figure it out.   You did leave the blade guard on did you.   Just kidding.

Did anyone read the whole post?  He put the handle on and says it cuts fine by hand.

My advice is don't feather that trigger, make sure you are on speed 1 (very important), apply a slight down pressure to start and let her rip full speed.

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:37 AM »
This is the thing with nills instead of just buying blades for 30 bucks you have to troubleshoot the thing. Seems like a pain for a large drill bit. Or buy a new head for 100 bucks. No thanks.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:51 AM »
so you know, frank uses the same adapter on all of his nils he has to test after sharpening, so we know it is not that. he also uses the octane drill. that adapter allows the auger to float on it so it does not add any wobble while drilling.
i would pm frank since he is the pro for nils.

maybe with the drill your leaning before starting your cut and not so much with the handle because it adds length for you to tell if your leaning. easy to do because your looking down on it more than looking straight at it.
 try to keep it all straight at 90 degrees. when you lean it makes one blade touch more than the other. after both blades are fully in then the lean won't matter as much until break thru. see if you can add a bubble level to the top of your drill to help you get used to using it this way.

it does also sound like dull blades where going extra slow hand cranking it works but adding a higher rpm does not. someone mentioned to feel for a bur on the top of the blades. i would agree to that and to test it make sure to feel for it so you rub over the bur from the back of the edge and not along the edge. if you feel it, that was your cutting edge rolled over.

your new cutting head should confirm this also when you go to use it on the drill.

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:07 AM »
This is the thing with nills instead of just buying blades for 30 bucks you have to troubleshoot the thing. Seems like a pain for a large drill bit. Or buy a new head for 100 bucks. No thanks.

That's fine if that's what you prefer.

But why come here to simply say how the original poster's choice of auger sucks? You're not helping OP's cause at all. Plus, you're wrong. :roflmao:

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:11 AM »
What type of drill are you using? I bought a Ryobi and it didn't work on my 8". It didn't skip, but it stalled. Perhaps your drill doesn't have enough booty to initially bite into the ice. I use the Milwaukee now.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:20 AM »
That's fine if that's what you prefer.

But why come here to simply say how the original poster's choice of auger sucks? You're not helping OP's cause at all. Plus, you're wrong. :roflmao:

X2 and I am a long time Nils user.  I have spent less $$$ on my 8" Nils (w/ M18 for power, was IceGator head), maintenance wise, than most spend on blades for their augers.
Don't get mewrong, there is a place for all augers and we, as users, get to make that decision.

I agree, PM Frank (Sharp Nils, on this site) and see what he has to say; everyone else is just guessing at what your problem might be.

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:25 AM »
Yep great auger keep trouble shooting so you can drill a hole in the ice. Also what if this happens when you go fishing. At least with a cheap mora the bait shop has  replacement blades so I can fish and not have to try a hundred things to get it to work.

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:26 AM »
What type of drill are you using? I bought a Ryobi and it didn't work on my 8". It didn't skip, but it stalled. Perhaps your drill doesn't have enough booty to initially bite into the ice. I use the Milwaukee now.
Because I had one and went through the same crap.

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:33 AM »
Because I had one and went through the same crap.

Did you have the cover on the blades still? Cuz that's the only way a Nils would be out performed by a Mora. Lmao

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2019, 12:08 PM »
Yep great auger keep trouble shooting so you can drill a hole in the ice. Also what if this happens when you go fishing. At least with a cheap mora the bait shop has  replacement blades so I can fish and not have to try a hundred things to get it to work.
Spare - "CHEAPO" Mora or other hand auger back in the truck, or riding on my ice transportation - LOL.  Have not used it yet.

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:09 PM »
  I have a Rigid 18 volt 1300 lb. torque drill. I've put my new blade on but haven't been able to try it. I'm sending my other one to Frank and just waiting for his response to see what I have to do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.