Author Topic: Rigging Live Minnows  (Read 4144 times)

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rigging Live Minnows
« on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:16 AM »
I haven't fished with live minnows before. Here in Montana there are only a few lakes near me that allow you to use them. Do I use a bare hook or a gumball jig. Like I said I have never used live minnows, so pic of your rigs would be great.
MT

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rigging Live Minnows
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:34 PM »
I like a very small bare hook...and a split shot 10 to 15 inches above the hook....works for me

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:16 PM »
I USE #10 TREBLES TIED TO 6" OF 20# BRAID LEADER (BASICALLY SNELLED TREBLES) AND THREAD THE MINNOW WITH A BAIT NEEDLE FROM JUST BEHIND THE HEAD AND POKE IT OUT JUST BEHIND THE DORSAL.  HOOK THE SNELLED END TO A SMALL BUT STRONG SNAP SWIVEL.  FOR LARGER WALLEYE OR PIKE I USE 50#-80# BRAID AS IT'S STILL THIN AND WON'T BREAK VERY EASILY EVEN WITH SHARP TEETH OR GILL PLATES.  IN MY EXPERIENCE, WITH 'THREADED' MINNOWS, YOU WON'T LOSE THE MINNOWS VERY OFTEN DUE TO PERCH OR SMALL WALLEYE PICKING THEM OFF.  ACTUALLY, AT PECK A FEW WEEKS AGO, WE CAUGHT 3 WALLEYE FROM 1.5-3 POUNDS ON THE SAME 4" MINNOW.  WHEN THE FISH BIT, THE MINNOW EACH TIME JUST SLID UP THE LINE AND WAS READY TO GO AGAIN JUST BY UNHOOKING THE FISH AND SLIDING THE MINNOW BACK DOWN THE LINE TO THE HOOK. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO THREAD THEM, MOST PEOPLE HOOK EITHER A TREBLE OR A SINGLE HOOK JUST IN FRONT OF THE DORSAL ON TOP OF THE MINNOW.  JUST A THOUGHT!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:16 AM »
As long as you don't impale the minnows through any vital organs with the hook point you'll be fine.  I lip hook, dorsal fin hook, tail hook, pectoral fin hook, and even just skin hook right behind the head for different presentations.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DeLiarDaRuler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:51 PM »
Are you guys talking small crappie minnows or 3" shiners for walleye?

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2010, 08:59 PM »
Are you guys talking small crappie minnows or 3" shiners for walleye?
BIGGER IS BETTER IF YOUR TROPHY FISHING!  3-6 INCH SHINER OR SUCKER MINNOWS IS WHAT I PREFER.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.