Author Topic: Flame King 1lb Propane Refill Kit  (Read 8433 times)

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Flame King 1lb Propane Refill Kit
« Reply #30 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:42 AM »
Been thinking about getting one of these but wasn't sure cause of the  price.  Been using the older style filler for a few years with no problems.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #31 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Been thinking about getting one of these but wasn't sure cause of the  price.  Been using the older style filler for a few years with no problems.
same here I refilled disposables for a long time.these new tanks have nice brass valves that wont rust like the throw aways so im guessing less leaks.plus this is a easier system to use.i made the switch this year.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:56 AM »
i think the new flame king adapter is better.no more freezing the 1lbers or warming the 20.

How is it different? It opens and closes. The new tank with the allen wrench purge vent is the key. The adapters do the same thing just without the fancy shut off lever.

Offline TKfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Just used one recently and it worked as advertised. Pretty spendy for the set-up initially (tank plus the kit is around $50). Depends on your heating needs.

There's a lot of guys using 5lb tanks now with the extension hose with buddy heaters. This is a pretty nice set-up for long cold days where the heat is cranked up, and you're not switching tanks out every four hours. Kicker is you need to have access to a shop that refills tanks, not just exchange them.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 29, 2018, 12:30 PM »
If you have a Menards close by they have the refill kit on sale for $34.99. Good until 12-1

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:07 PM »
I understand the arguments for using the bigger tanks and also refilling the small disposable tanks.   Like I said, these Flame King 1lbers are the ONLY tanks that are DOT certified.  Not only do they have a bleeder valve with a positive open and close (unlike the spring seal which can fail on the disposables) they also have a dip tube for filling while venting (like the big 20lbers). That’s why it works so well and so fast, it’s because it’s venting as it’s filling.   You can also tell they are built better and made to last. 

Of course you should wear PPE, that should go without saying.  I assure you no matter how much time I spend trying to make a video and making sure the I’s are dotted and the T’s are crossed,  there’s always the guys finding something to shoot it down.  Pow Pow.  LOL    I’m just a regular guy out here capturing regular things with my camera.  I don’t have an EHS department to answer to.  Haha

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:13 PM »
You do a dang fine job Sir!

WS

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:15 PM »
You do a dang fine job Sir!

WS

X2
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #38 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:28 PM »
How is it different? It opens and closes. The new tank with the allen wrench purge vent is the key. The adapters do the same thing just without the fancy shut off lever.

After watching again I see there is a white stem they call it to line up on the tank with the purge valve. I think I might make a run to Menards tonight. I have been refilling disposable tanks for over 10 years without any problems. I keep only newer tanks (they are easy to find, plenty of new empty's at recycle centers) This system does look easier. I'm all for easy.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:32 PM »
And safer with a warranty.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 29, 2018, 07:12 PM »
I dont think the flame king tanks will work with the old filler. For the purge indicator to function correctly, the 1lb tank has to be in a vertical orientation.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Nov 30, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Heads up.

If you want to get one of these tanks for $5, print this out or bring it up on your phone, or screenshot it and take it into gander.

$15-$10= $5

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/coupons/cc8853.shtml

Or get something else minus the $10, lots of options.  :)

I got mine today, and might get one tomorrow too.  Maybe even a few more next week. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 30, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Got the 1# cylinder for $5.29

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Made trip to Menard's Friday and got one on sale.  Checked to make sure tank would fit my auger, Buddy heater and torch which it did.  Filled tank and was very pleased with the ease and quickness it filled the tank.  Much easier than the way I have been refilling. Now gotta make another trip back to get extra tanks since of  Menard's has the11% rebate  on now. 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:47 PM »
Just ordered one of these myself as well as some spare bottles from Amazon.
We don't have Menards in my state and the shipping price made Amazon a few bucks cheaper in overall price.
I think I'm going to like this for situations where I still use the little bottles.
I have a 11# bottle and the connecting hose but for early-season hike out trips or times where that's just not convenient I'll now have refillable little bottles.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 03, 2018, 04:23 AM »
Filled up my six refillables on Friday afternoon which just about wiped out what was left from last year in my 33 lb. tank, so I packed it in my car and headed to the trailer sales place where I buy my propane.  $29.04 later (.88/lb.)  and I’m all set for the season and then some in one trip.  Happy happy!   :thumbsup:

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:59 AM »
So I did a test last night.   2 Full Flame King refillables in my Big Buddy Heater on the high setting.   Went strong for about 2 hours and at that point I noticed some dimming,  I had to wobble the tanks a bit to get it back to full strength.  I got another 30 minutes out of it and I think I could've squeezed a final 15 minutes, but to be conservative I would say 2-2.5 hours is a good rule of thumb for these tanks.  With that, I would expect about 5 hours on med setting (9,000 BTU) and about 11 hours on low (4,000 BTU).   

Given that these tanks fill at approx 80%

1lb of propane has 21,566 BTU's.  On high setting the output of the heater is 18,000 BTU's.   2 tanks at 80% full = 34,505.6 BTU's / 18000 = 1.91 hours.   

When I filled my tanks I got 14 oz in them or about 87% full.   Using that math 2 tanks at 87% full = 37,524.8 BTU's/18,000 = 2.1 hours. 

Just thought I'd share my findings.   I still think this is a great option for refilling and if you plan to run the heater on high for an extended fishing trip, 1lbers might not be the way to go, but for an average evening on the ice it should work great, especially if you don't have to blast it on High the whole time.   

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:06 AM »
So I did a test last night.   2 Full Flame King refillables in my Big Buddy Heater on the high setting.   Went strong for about 2 hours and at that point I noticed some dimming,  I had to wobble the tanks a bit to get it back to full strength.  I got another 30 minutes out of it and I think I could've squeezed a final 15 minutes, but to be conservative I would say 2-2.5 hours is a good rule of thumb for these tanks.  With that, I would expect about 5 hours on med setting (9,000 BTU) and about 11 hours on low (4,000 BTU).   

Given that these tanks fill at approx 80%

1lb of propane has 21,566 BTU's.  On high setting the output of the heater is 18,000 BTU's.   2 tanks at 80% full = 34,505.6 BTU's / 18000 = 1.91 hours.   

When I filled my tanks I got 14 oz in them or about 87% full.   Using that math 2 tanks at 87% full = 37,524.8 BTU's/18,000 = 2.1 hours. 

Just thought I'd share my findings.   I still think this is a great option for refilling and if you plan to run the heater on high for an extended fishing trip, 1lbers might not be the way to go, but for an average evening on the ice it should work great, especially if you don't have to blast it on High the whole time.

Great info....Thanks for putting together such an understandable and reasonable report!!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:25 AM »
Great info....Thanks for putting together such an understandable and reasonable report!!

X2 and my experience is right in line with his findings.  In the Polar Bird, I almost never run my Portable Buddy on anything but low (3,800 BTU)and I can get about 4.5 to 5 hours of run time on one tank depending on weather (if it's warm out, I'll shut it down to just the pilot only for stretches at a time) to stretch my tanks even further.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:39 AM »
Thanks

The $10 gander card has been making these tanks $5.36 for me which has made it a bit more reasonable to justify. I think I have enough now to keep a good rotation going.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Just picked up a kit and a couple spare tanks. When refilling, does the temperature effect the fill process? I can either fill in my garage where its about 30*, or my basement where its about 65*.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #51 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Don’t matter, just has to be well ventilated

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Outside would be the best.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 06, 2018, 06:51 AM »
DO NOT refill these in your basement.

I've been keeping my tanks and 20lber outside.   Last night it was about 20 degrees and I went out and filled 4 tanks in about 10 minutes.  Temperature really has no effect when you are able to purge while you fill.   

Also I discovered that the tailgate of my truck works much better than that stand that comes with the kit.  Doing everything at waist level is so much easier.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #54 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:07 AM »
Yup i also fill my tanks setup on the tailgate of my truck.

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:27 AM »
Great idea and this is fully functional.  The problem is when I do the math if I were to purchase the unit and 4 bottles I would have to fill a total of 50 times to wash the cost of the equipment.  By the time I would use that much propane the 12 year DOT would expire.  Also the 50 fills are not per cylinder but 50 full cylinders.  This is definitely the way of the future just not for me right now. 

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:46 AM »
Convenience always comes at a cost.    Money isn’t the only driving factor with these.   Pretty nice to be able to know you have full tanks ready to go and not wondering if you have to stop somewhere at the last minute or if the gas station will have them in stock.   Plus it helps everyone by not tossing these in the trash over and over again.   Also I think your math is based on full retail cost.   You can currently get the kit with one tank for 34.99 at Menards.   Find the right sales or coupons and you can get the tanks at a good deal too.   I was able to get my return on kit with 4 tanks down to 20 refills.   (I paid $5 each for my tanks with the Gander Coupon).       Sure it’s not for everyone, and it’s not cheap.  Understandable and I don’t disagree.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:51 AM »
i think the new flame king adapter is better.no more freezing the 1lbers or warming the 20.

Do the flame kings freeze less than regular tanks? I cant run 1b tanks in my big buddy without swapping every 15-20 minutes in normal conditions.. its a pain and Im not sure what route to take. Considered the 5lb + hose but Im not sure, its expensive
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:56 AM »
Do the flame kings freeze less than regular tanks? I cant run 1b tanks in my big buddy without swapping every 15-20 minutes in normal conditions.. its a pain and Im not sure what route to take. Considered the 5lb + hose but Im not sure, its expensive

Can't say for sure if they freeze more or less, but like I said above, I ran 2 full Flame King tanks for 2 hours and it ran strong with only some minor frosting on the tanks.    They do sell some sort of tank "coozy" that you can put on them to keep them insulated a bit better. 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:30 AM »
I have an 11 lb tank and hose.
My tank expired this year and it cost me $15 to get it recertified for another 5 years.
Locally a new 11 lb tank was somewhere around $80.
So it made sense to get it recertified.
When my BBQ tanks expire I just take those in to the blue rhino and exchange them and let them pay the recertification fee but they don't do an exchange on the smaller tanks.
I know the five lb tanks sell for in the neighborhood of $60.
And then you have to buy the hose which is somewhere around 12 to 15 bucks.
A little one pounder is it just convenient for some things especially my plumber's torch which I use a lot in my fishing jig making.
I think I'm going to like this new setup for situations where I really just want to use the one pounders.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.