The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Holiday Harbor Advice  (Read 2306 times)

Offline thunderpants johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
Holiday Harbor Advice
« on: Jan 20, 2022, 04:19 PM »
Hello.  Im sure this is a rookie question and has been beat to death in the past, but Im looking for advice around the holiday harbor area.  Ill be up there with a group the second weekend of February.  Ive never ice fished Champ.  2 years ago I rented a house near there with the family in the summer and did well in Macomb bay and Squires Bay.  More so in Squires Bay.  My question is should I travel to either of those bays, or just set up with everyone right outside holiday harbor.  Ill have a side by side so if conditions permit I dont mind traveling, and I like getting away from the crowd a little.  I really only care about catching pike, so what depth range should I look for them?  Any help is greatly appreciated, and Id like to point out I live 4 hours away so any advice will not result in me fishing your spot the rest of the winter.  Thanks in advance!!!!

Offline Yukon Cornelius

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Holiday Harbor Advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2022, 04:25 PM »
Hi for what it's worth, I've been up there a few times.  Probably depends on what you're targeting.  If pike, I've had better luck in the surrounding bays.  They can be had behind near HH but I think generally they prefer more of a bay habitat. 

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2022, 06:50 PM »
When you check in just ask Bruce what has been fishing well and will not steer you wrong.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2022, 12:06 PM »
Bruce still hasnt sold?

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:22 PM »
Bruce still hasnt sold?

It's still listed. 1.35 million.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:03 PM »
Its worth money but not that much.  I like thst he still owns it though.  Good guy.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:38 PM »
I guess the property tax bill is insane. They really have done a nice job with place.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2022, 06:39 AM »
Cant imagine its cheap at all.  Have stayed with Bruce open water and ice.  Definetly a good opperation.  Surprised there arebt more like it.

Offline VTMTB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2022, 06:57 AM »
I guess the property tax bill is insane. They really have done a nice job with place.

Property tax bills are insane everywhere in this state....part of the privilege I guess. Stay safe out there and tight lines.

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:30 AM »
I remember the old owner,said she was going to sell the place,I asked her how much she said she would be lucky to get $250,000.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2022, 01:02 PM »
Yeah but Bruce completely redid the place, invested a lot to get it where it is now.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2022, 05:27 PM »
Hello.  Im sure this is a rookie question and has been beat to death in the past, but Im looking for advice around the holiday harbor area.  Ill be up there with a group the second weekend of February.  Ive never ice fished Champ.  2 years ago I rented a house near there with the family in the summer and did well in Macomb bay and Squires Bay.  More so in Squires Bay.  My question is should I travel to either of those bays, or just set up with everyone right outside holiday harbor.  Ill have a side by side so if conditions permit I dont mind traveling, and I like getting away from the crowd a little.  I really only care about catching pike, so what depth range should I look for them?  Any help is greatly appreciated, and Id like to point out I live 4 hours away so any advice will not result in me fishing your spot the rest of the winter.  Thanks in advance!!!!
If you've got a side by side then I'd say run north or south. The ice is quite good all the way through the passage. I'd say just bypass the bridge to the north. If you're in squires then I might see ya there! Good luck

Offline thunderpants johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2022, 12:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Its much appreciated.  If youre there feb 11 and 12 and see two guys on a side by side with mass tags and a red pop up shanty stop by for a beer

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2022, 07:14 AM »
HH is a nice place to stay for hard or soft water fishing. Bruce has a well stocked bait shop and if conditions are good will plow the ice so you can literally drive to some areas right on the ice. He also has a few hard shacks for rent with small wood stoves etc. My group had a great time and caught plenty of pike - the largest was 36" and average was about 24" - lots of fun. We also had plenty of action on Jumbo Perch & LMB.

I have fished in the summer and with a boat we explored other areas - caught Bowfin, Pike, LMB, SMB etc. - pretty much everywhere we went.

Good luck

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2022, 06:12 PM »
He and his wife are good honest people.  I like them a lot.  Habe stayed open and ice.  Nice launching the boat there.  Hope he gets his asking price.  I know they were looking to wind down a bit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.