Author Topic: Wood stoves...  (Read 7136 times)

Offline curtis_rak

• IceShanty Rookie
Wood stoves...
« on: Aug 29, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Would like some input on any experiences with various wood stoves...

In my current shack I have this stove ( https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/steel-camp-stove/A-p8192403e ) . I got it on sale for $80 and it ran okay but would choke itself out. I ended up cutting out the pipe that it came with and welding in 3" exhaust pipe to replace the small pipe that it came with. I suspect this is a Chinese-made stove as the piping size is completely abnormal, its between 2 1/4" and 2 1/2". Going to 3" made a huge difference and it roars really nice now. When not on sale its $150 plus about $60 to upgrade the piping to 3" (so lets say $210 CDN for this unit).

I am building another shack and am looking at some different stoves that I can easily buy at various local stores.

- 20", "airtight" wood stove. $125 plus approx. $60 for piping (total approx. $185 CDN)
   http://www.campers-village.com/7415/20in-Airtight/
   Does anyone use this style? how do you clean the ashes out of it?

- Sheet metal, box-style stove. $135 plus approx. $60 for piping (total approx. $195 CDN)
   http://www.campers-village.com/7412/2-Hole-No-Fold-N-Stove/
   Ive seen a similar version of this and they work well.

As you can see, I like the price range of all 3 options, just curious about pros and cons on the last two I mentioned. I know for an extra $100-200 I can get a heavy duty, 1/4" steel stove...buuut I'm trying to keep the costs on everything reasonable. I'm also open to any other stoves out there, close in price, to look at as options.

If all else fails I will buy and modify another one of the exact stove I already have as I know it will do the job. But its easier to buy a stove that accepts standard piping sizes and not have to break out the MIG welder.

Thanks in advance!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Wood stoves...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Hey Curtis, I can't help with wood stove experience other than the one I have in my outside shop. I am curious though what the attraction is for an ice shanty/shack. Other than the aroma and the aesthetic qualities (who doesn't like a good fire?) I can't think of any upsides.

Always a fire hazard, gotta import or gather wood on site, dirty/messy, high maintenance I'm just not getting it. It makes the most sense in a hard side, permanent or wheelhouse but even then, in my opinion there are easier, cleaner, more safe options. LP is pretty tough to beat. Clean burn, instant startup, no mess. OK, gotta tote gas but 20# lasts quite awhile and there are even larger options if your location is secure from having it stolen.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not pickin', just curious...  :unsure:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2018, 05:21 PM »
The top loading stoves are a pain to empty ashes from. A buddy has one, might be a 20" or maybe smaller, in his 8x8 shack and it can cook you out real fast.

I take the cylinder stove from my wall tent and put it in my 7x8 shack in the winter and it's way too much stove, but at least I can scoop the ashes out easily. I burn the Canawick pressed wood blocks from Canadian Tire in mine and get 7-8 hours of heat with the damper closed right down.

I looked at the cylinder stove from princess auto but wasn't sure about that small chimney... now i know.

I have no experience with the sheet metal box style stove but I think I'd go for it over the top loader.
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2018, 06:09 PM »
If you got welding experience? Why not make your own??  Like a ammo can type or even from a cheap hand gun safe?? Like I am planning to do..  I also am going to try wood pellets and a basket style burner for wood pellets.. so the pellets burn bottom up its basically a chicken wire basket to let it burn bottom up.. any how thinking same thing you are with the 3 or 4 inch exhaust pipe.. but still in planning phase.. reason I like wood pellets it only cost $5 for 40 pounds a hand full may last a hour or two..

Offline curtis_rak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2018, 07:35 AM »
Esox - Well, I will admit there is a bit of attraction to the smell and general appeal of sitting next to a wood fire, I find that the wood stove keeps the shack completely dry. What I really notice is even if the floor has gotten wet near the end of the day, the warmth from the stove even after the fire is out will dry it all up before the next day (no ice on the floor). I have used a buddy heater in my shack in the past and I find it wont dry the floor nearly as well as a wood stove.

Jpholic - thx for the advice on the top load. I checked one out in person at campers village yesterday and not only do you have to put 2" of sand in the bottom, the cleaning will be a pain. That on is off the list. As for the princess auto stove, it works really well, but you need to make the pipe bigger. If you can get it on sale, its cheaper than building your own stove.

Chilly - I'm thinking about that option more and more. I have to grab some pricing on 3/16" and 1/4" steel plate and see what it works out to cost-wise. There are some pretty interesting DIY stove plans online.

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Kijiji often has ads from guys who build wood heaters. Some are not too pricey when you consider the time it takes to  build one. Might be worthwhile to take a look.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2018, 05:31 PM »

Its hard to beat the warmth from a wood stove , plus the option to cook on it.
As far as wood goes I only have to do a replenish run twice a winter to heat my 12'x 8' hunt !
Wouldn't do it any other way once i had it.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2018, 07:16 PM »

Chilly - I'm thinking about that option more and more. I have to grab some pricing on 3/16" and 1/4" steel plate and see what it works out to cost-wise. There are some pretty interesting DIY stove plans online.

What about 1\8 inch steel plate??  and use fire brick??  That and heat reclaiming set up for the flue pipe?? All heat reclaiming set ups are is a seconary heat exchanger in flue pipe.. basically a bunch of tubes in a box welded in so exhaust gases go out one way and a fan can push warm air out threw tubes.. so no exhast gases cross.. depending how big you want to go??  Only thing to worry about is creasilt build up in the flue pipe..  and burning the place down so cleaning it one season is over is what is nesseary..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2018, 07:35 PM »
When you think about it long enough how much is the 1/ 8 inch plate or 1/4 inch plate?? Would this be a cheaper option ?? Seen at link below I think I paid 20 for the one I got and all you got to do is pull the guts out of the locking mechanism. . And cut a few holes and  do some welding  could maybe add fire brick but I don't think it's needed.. for like a 10 x 10 x 6 or  8 foot structure?? Any how it's a non cement lined hand gun safe I am talking about seen at link below..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ktaxon-Digital-Electronic-Safe-Box-Keypad-Lock-13-85-Home-Office-Hotel-Gun-Security-Box/756213359

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2018, 06:01 PM »
Hey Curtis, I can't help with wood stove experience other than the one I have in my outside shop. I am curious though what the attraction is for an ice shanty/shack. Other than the aroma and the aesthetic qualities (who doesn't like a good fire?) I can't think of any upsides.

Oh man, a wood stove is a much dried heat than propane which introduces a ton of moisture. My buddy has a wood stove in his hardside and it's great. We always make a fire in advance of the next trip so that when we show up all you have to do is throw in a match while we drill holes outside. It gets hotter quicker and stays dryer then any propane heater. You can burn paper trash in it to get rid of it and also has the benefit of covering up the smell of any funny cigars that you may like to smoke....
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2018, 06:52 AM »
I haven't had any experience with these but they look nice. http://nuwaystove.com/

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:11 PM »
 that doctorgee is a smart man, he knows what's up  :tipup: another benefit for myself is pretty much unlimited access to wood as opposed to having to run to town (2hr round trip) to fill up the propane jugs.  oh and being able to sleep easy.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Oh man, a wood stove is a much dried heat than propane which introduces a ton of moisture. My buddy has a wood stove in his hardside and it's great. We always make a fire in advance of the next trip so that when we show up all you have to do is throw in a match while we drill holes outside. It gets hotter quicker and stays dryer then any propane heater. You can burn paper trash in it to get rid of it and also has the benefit of covering up the smell of any funny cigars that you may like to smoke....

Don't foreget to add that i seen a few doors swell shut on hard sides wile running propane with all the moisture they output.. like trailers for hunting seen one door swell shut had froze my sleeping bag to floor wile hunting. and it got bitter cold .. but ya the heat is drier and better and more readily avaible..
 compared to propane by the way a 40 lb bag of pellets may last a weekend  versus a 20 lb cylinder of propane in a smaller shacks  with smaller wood stoves that 40 lb sack of pellets only cost $2.99 out of season were propane cost around $10-$15..  out of season but during season prices go up like propane can go for $17-$20 a fill up when it's nessasary and in season .. it's all supply and demand at that point.. were that 40 pound sack of wood pellets can run you $8 to $10 bucks in prime season.. wich can be a lot cheaper.. running wood if you got a small stove and small heating area in cubic foot .. but ya every ware prices are different so keep all in mind..

Offline Skunkboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2018, 07:04 PM »
Craigslist & Facebook marketplace.  Lots of old small stove pop up from time to time.
This is the style I have in my shack & work shop.https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/754670408207887

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.