Author Topic: snowdog oil in combustion chamber  (Read 1513 times)

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
snowdog oil in combustion chamber
« on: Feb 14, 2019, 01:25 PM »
My snowdog tiped over nd oil got in combustion chamber, how do I deal with this ?

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: snowdog oil in combustion chamber
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2019, 01:30 PM »
Pull your spark plug out and crank it over to push the oil out. Maybe flush the chamber with some diesel, not as flammable as gas.
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2019, 01:33 PM »
Remove the plug and get the piston up to the top.....soak and/or drain as much oil as you can out of the cylinder ..if you attempted to start it while it was full of oil ..the exhaust may be filled with some of the oil ..gonna smoke for sure ..the plug may be fouled as well a new plug may also be in order ...also make sure the oil is full .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2019, 01:36 PM »
My snowdog tiped over nd oil got in combustion chamber, how do I deal with this ?

Absolutely pull the plug and crank it over to pump out all the excess oil.  Otherwise you run the danger of "hydro locking" the piston and damage to the engine.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2019, 01:52 PM »
i don't think oil in the combustion chamber will  do any harm really.extra lubed top end.just let it sit for a for a few days and oil will  find its way back to the crankcase..i tip over engines im working on all the time.let them sit for a day or 2.might smoke a bit for a few minutes.putting the piston all the way down will speed up the process.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2019, 02:35 PM »
I agree, change the plug and fire it up, it may smoke a little but will be fine.

JG

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2019, 03:05 PM »
Pull the spark plug and give it a spritz of carb cleaner or a swish in some gas to clean off most of the oil. That way it'll start easier. Make sure the cylinder isn't slugged with oil. It doesn't have to all be out but the piston needs room to cycle. If you can see the top of the piston in the plug hole when you turn it over you'll be fine. A spritz of carb cleaner or starting fluid before you replace the spark plug (use the original plug) will thin what oil is left and help it burn off faster.

Once it's running again, let the smoke clear and then replace that plug with a fresh one. No sense in fouling a brand new sparky plug.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:28 PM »
Thanks for the help. Did what everybody suggested and started right up. Worked on it for 20 min before I remembered to put spark plug wire back on.

Smoked alot so may get some additive, sea foam.
The snowdog is very unstable and tippy especially in the 9 inches of snow we got last night.
If I had known it  was this bad I probably wouldn't have bought it

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2019, 01:11 PM »
YUP! All of these track machines are top heavy given they ride on a rather narrow track. Snowdog's track is 20 inches wide and actually wider than most snowmobile tracks but they are still top heavy and tippy. Part of the learning process with these machines, Snowdog's or the homemade versions is learning how to handle the different terrains we have to cross. Hard packed ridges and deep hard ruts along side of soft snow are the main culprits. You can save it from laying over some of the time but I have laid mine over twice now in those exact conditions. We don't have skis as outriggers so expect the unexpected and at times you have to be forceful on the handle bars to keep it up. I tried driving mine on the side of the plowed road the very first time I took it for a spin. Bad idea. I also find while out on a flat lake I am better off making my own track rather than following existing ones. I think if you are riding in the sled and sitting down on a seat then you gave up most of your ability to control possible tip overs.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2019, 02:56 PM »
YUP! All of these track machines are top heavy given they ride on a rather narrow track. Snowdog's track is 20 inches wide and actually wider than most snowmobile tracks but they are still top heavy and tippy. Part of the learning process with these machines, Snowdog's or the homemade versions is learning how to handle the different terrains we have to cross. Hard packed ridges and deep hard ruts along side of soft snow are the main culprits. You can save it from laying over some of the time but I have laid mine over twice now in those exact conditions. We don't have skis as outriggers so expect the unexpected and at times you have to be forceful on the handle bars to keep it up. I tried driving mine on the side of the plowed road the very first time I took it for a spin. Bad idea. I also find while out on a flat lake I am better off making my own track rather than following existing ones. I think if you are riding in the sled and sitting down on a seat then you gave up most of your ability to control possible tip overs.

Gam
Do you ride standing ? Isn't the seat in the way ? It doesn't seem to be removeable ?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2019, 03:16 PM »

I bought just the empty sled with no seat and stand when I am motoring.

Gam

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:28 AM »
Anybody know how much gas the tank holds, standard 13mer with reverse. The imformation that comes with it is skimpy.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:17 AM »
Anybody know how much gas the tank holds, standard 13mer with reverse. The imformation that comes with it is skimpy.

I think it holds just a little over a gallon of gas but that will take you a very long way.

Gam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.