Author Topic: wear your ice spikes  (Read 3527 times)

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
wear your ice spikes
« on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Just a reminder to wear your ice cleats, spikes or whatever you call them.
 I went out yesterday with a little bit of snow on the ice I thought I did not need them. When I got almost to where I was heading I went down in an instant. Busted my butt and hit my elbow.
 Today I cannot bend the arm to a 90 degree and only have 12 inches range of motion. Had it x-rayed and I don't believe it is cracked or chipped. But I may be done for the year.
 The worst part is I had 2 pair of cleats in my fishing sled.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: wear your ice spikes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:11 PM »
Hope you heal quickly! Never hurts to share your experiences to help others.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:17 PM »
Just a reminder to wear your ice cleats, spikes or whatever you call them.
 I went out yesterday with a little bit of snow on the ice I thought I did not need them. When I got almost to where I was heading I went down in an instant. Busted my butt and hit my elbow.
 Today I cannot bend the arm to a 90 degree and only have 12 inches range of motion. Had it x-rayed and I don't believe it is cracked or chipped. But I may be done for the year.
 The worst part is I had 2 pair of cleats in my fishing sled.
dont go any where without them

GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:30 PM »
In NH we have a huge derby (like 17k people) in February and a few years ago the ice was sketchy in a lot of places and everyone was worried that people would die if the derby was put on. Under heavy criticism the derby officials went on with the event. There was only one death that weekend... it was a middle aged gentleman that had a fatal head injury when he slipped on glare ice.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:43 PM »
dont go any where without them

GOD BLESS
mo

Nice catch!!  to bad our bass season here in michigan ends December 31 every year. I catch and release tons of bass this time of year cause I can't keep them..

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 02:16 PM »
I just barely made it out of the parking lot yesterday before I went down.  Didn't hurt anything, wish I could have seen me go.  I do know that my feet were over my head going down. 😀😀. It must have looked like one of those commercials where the whale comes up out of the water.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2019, 02:50 PM »
Slip on shoes Sorrels with the micro spikes go on before I stand up out of the truck, though this Sunday a guy that was packing up the same time I was did not have micro spikes on managed to slip and fall. Young guy so jumped back up no worries. Me I would have been in bed the next day! :) He did have traction gear on but there was some snow cover and there y’all go. Never start across with out some kind on your feet!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Dont have any but now im buying some.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:08 PM »
It's all about safety. 

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:11 PM »
my wife just bought me a new set from amazon today.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Went to the mailbox a couple years ago and went down on the edge of the road. DisLoc my shoulder. That Hurt!  Got spikes and screws in all my winter boots, now. She does, too.

Offline minnangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:33 PM »
All it takes is one fall and you'll become a believer.   In my younger years I never wore them but 10 years ago I fell and went down hard! Didn't break anything but knocked the wind out of me and my guts were sore for months.  Now it's habit that I don't get out of the truck with out them, kind of like wearing a seat belt.  You don't even think about it you just do it out of habit.  I've been using yak trak pros, what is your favorite?

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:08 AM »
Safety always a good topic and reminder.I have a pair of Korkers that I wear when jetty and shore fishing.Am going to try them on the ice first before buying another type of cleats.Not sure if having these that have a sole with the big spikes would be good for on the ice?

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:53 AM »
I fell while wearing my spikes 3 weeks ago...  I was trying to keep up with my buddies, and next thing I know bang Im flat out on the ice.  Rolled my ankle, and it still hurts.  Getting old is rough.

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:14 PM »
I recommend the Stabilicers...
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:37 PM »
Last time I went out to Gardner Lake, I forgot cleats, had a hard time drilling holes without sliding all over.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:50 PM »
Slip on shoes Sorrels with the micro spikes go on before I stand up out of the truck, though this Sunday a guy that was packing up the same time I was did not have micro spikes on managed to slip and fall. Young guy so jumped back up no worries. Me I would have been in bed the next day! :) He did have traction gear on but there was some snow cover and there y’all go. Never start across with out some kind on your feet!
Keep it safe! JDL
Lol, old coots like me break where we used to bounce. I fell so hard one day  my eyes were blurry. I found my glasses sticking out of the snow about six feet from where my head hit. Cleared my eyes right up.  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:58 PM »
just heard from the doctor's office the elbow is broken.
 Wear your creeepers

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:03 PM »
just heard from the doctor's office the elbow is broken.
 Wear your creeepers
. Sorry to hear, have a speedy recovery!

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:05 PM »
3 years ago. Bud calls about a hot gill bite. I pack the night before. I swore I loaded the spiked pair of " mickeys ". Drive 30 + miles next morning. Get to pond go to put boots on. No spike version. Ahh ( insert many swear words ) so make promise I will be extra careful.

Ice was smooth surface that would make any rink owner envious. Bite was indeed hot and everything was fine for about 2 hours. Decided to drill some more distant holes. Drilled holes gave auger to Bud. Took about four steps to newly drilled holes. Then whoosh I am upside down and land on ice with back of my head. I never got hit that hard when I boxed.

I was stunned that I could hardly move at first. Yes I seen stars more like a whole constellation. My friend pointed out I was bleeding a bit. Stuck a clean rag to back of my head after soaking it in ice water. When I looked at rag the amount of blood surprised me.

On way home decided to stop by friends store. He happened to be a paramedic for local volunteer fire department. Had him look at it to see if he would advise going to emergency room. He said now if not sooner.

Gash took 8 staples to close at the old E room. Not a pleasant experience at all. I now double and triple check to make sure the right boots get packed now.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:09 PM »
decided to put my khatoolas on after the snowmobile ride, so I put them in the back.  First step off of the sled when we got where we were going, and I went A## over teakettle right on my head.  Good thing I still had my helmet on....now on, I'll just be extra careful with spikes and my sled seat....crazy how fast that happens....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:45 PM »
The only time I slip up...is when I forgotten my cleats/crampons
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2019, 02:59 PM »
A few years ago I upgraded to LLBean micro spikes. I always have them on my boots before I go on the ice. If there is too much snow and they start to ball up with snow then I will take them off. Last Saturday I had them on all day without an issue, they are much better than the old stamped metal ones.

JG

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2019, 02:23 PM »
Doc says 6 weeks of no pushing, pulling or lifting anything more than a coffee cup. Wear your creepers or cleats

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:36 PM »
Whatever brand you wear, make sure they have cleats on the front (ball) of your foot and the heel.  I have some cheap Celsius ones on, they only have cleats on the toe end of foot.  But when you walk you put your heel down first, the part with no cleats.  I fell hard, I was stunned, I just laid there for a few minutes.  One other fisherman on the lake and he was in a shanty.  I got lucky.  I rested and packed up...
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:56 AM »
I don't currently own cleats but after my last trip xi think I need to get some. I wear pretty large boots (sorrel glaciers I think size 13). What cleats would be good for those?

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:02 AM »
I don't dare go without them. With two artificial hips and enough hardware holding my broken back together to make a small spinning reel, a slip could be less than a good thing. As others have said, they aren't a sure thing. An inch of snow on glare ice will keep spikes from hooking up. Be careful.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:20 AM »
I don't currently own cleats but after my last trip xi think I need to get some. I wear pretty large boots (sorrel glaciers I think size 13). What cleats would be good for those?
I wear size 14 Baffin Eiger's and Kahtoola Microspikes XL fit great.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2019, 12:53 PM »
Living in alaska for 35 years you get to see a lot of different kinds of ice cleats.  I have used a bunch of them and by far the best ones I have used are the hillsound trail pro crampons.  You can walk on smooth concrete and still have no slippage.  Not many ice cleats can do that. With these on you will have an absolute zero slippage on ice. The deep snow doesn't really ball up under them. I know I am sure sold on them.

Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Living in alaska for 35 years you get to see a lot of different kinds of ice cleats.  I have used a bunch of them and by far the best ones I have used are the hillsound trail pro crampons.  You can walk on smooth concrete and still have no slippage.  Not many ice cleats can do that. With these on you will have an absolute zero slippage on ice. The deep snow doesn't really ball up under them. I know I am sure sold on them.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
Now I know What I'm going to ask for when my birthday rolls around this fall. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.