Author Topic: How to use an Icefishing pole in the summer.  (Read 3374 times)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
How to use an Icefishing pole in the summer.
« on: Jul 02, 2010, 05:53 AM »
I found a way to use an ice fishing pole in the summer. I gave one to my grandson to use on a pier, that he calls a bridge, to catch the fish along the sides. He walked over to the side the other day and I got this picture before the dog and him moved. I did not set it up but feel fortunate they didn't move before I turned on the camera. Dogs and five year old boys don't stand still very long.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

surflizard

Re: How to use an Icefishing pole in the summer.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2010, 06:10 AM »
Great photo MF, It reminds me of fishing for brookies with my son many moons ago.  ;D He used one of my jigging poles when he was little, it was a lot easier for him to handle. My grandson caught his first sunfish on that same pole last year. He sure made Gampy proud that day  ;D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2010, 08:52 AM »
I am am proud of my grandson also. He not only catches them, he takes them off the hook too! He doesn't get tired of fishing like most kids. I am tired of it before he is. I guess that's a good thing, right?

A couple more shots of him with a few crappie.

It may be a conflict of interest? Using a Spiderman pole with a Batman shirt?

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2010, 05:16 PM »
great pics mf........love the one with the dog.....they look like best of friends...
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2010, 01:38 PM »
I am looking into getting a fishing kayak, I more than likely will use an ice fishing rod in it.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2010, 09:20 PM »
We went to Florida last Christmas and while there we went to walmart. I found in the fishing dept. a bunch of ice rods and reel combos. All fiberglass rods in different colors.Not sure what they would do with them other than rods for kids.Wish I would have bought 1 to try.  Nice crappie & grandson photos!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2010, 08:35 AM »
Thanks for the comments! I was surprised I could use the spring bobber just fine on the pier. There was a hole in the pier, piece of board missing, so I took a chair and sat over the hole so I could fish directly under the pier. I caught some nice crappie. Made me miss the ice though.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2010, 09:11 AM »
I brought my jig rod for the kids to try fishing for blue gils. They almost had about a 2lb + Large Mouth Bass that swam by and attacked the bobber. Sadly he ignored us the rest of the afternoon.

I was like the pied piper of children that day. My son actually reeled the fish in all by himself and got mad when i tried to help, not bad for a 2 (nearly 3) year old.

(my son is the one with the skulls all over his bathing suit)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2010, 09:38 AM »
Nice pictures guys. Its actually an effective way to fish during open water. I just drop my tranducer over the side of the boat and fish straight down. Can be a little tough to get the hang of doing it in the wind. But it works great when panfish are on bottom in 10-20 feet. Its not the same as icefishing tho.

I remember fishing for brook trout with my grandpa. We would dig worms in the garden, then go drown them and catch nothing in the crick. Afterwards we would go up to the house and he would get hammered and sing to us kids. Ahh memories.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.