New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing keuka lake  (Read 31393 times)

Offline viper14894

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: fishing keuka lake
« Reply #210 on: Mar 23, 2015, 04:38 PM »
well im not a local from Elmira just started fishing there 3 weeks ago but I learn very fast on a new spot I was there again on sunday and iced 4 lost 3 but glad I could be help  others! big lake and I have no problem sharing a hot spot with others,

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #211 on: Mar 24, 2015, 10:43 PM »

Ice grew an inch since my last trip, 7-10 inches rock hard, last trip 7 wacks with spud to go threw, today 11 wacks.  fishin was silly.. I'll post a report tomorrow.  Small healed pressure crack in the center.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #212 on: Mar 25, 2015, 08:08 AM »
Please stop posting these updates.....

Hearing that the ice conditions are holding up is killing me.

I want one more hard water trip for Keuka Lakers this year, but issues and responsibilities at work are preventing me from getting out there.  Looks like Friday / Saturday is the earliest I can break free. 

Not sure if the rain and 50 degree forecast are going to work in my favor.

:'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #213 on: Mar 25, 2015, 11:42 AM »
Walked out again from the state park.  Only a few others out this morning.  Shore ice had firmed up and there is still a plank in place if needed.  Steady bite and ice was a solid 8 inches.  Wind started howling and the ice got really noisy as well.  Probably my last time out this year.  Time to hit the streams.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #214 on: Mar 25, 2015, 11:44 AM »
     Well yesterday was one of those days you only have a few times in your life, after a long hard winter, today started reasonably cold for march 24th standards, zero when I left my house, walked out on a rock hard singing frozen finger lake and sat down too a steaming fresh cut hole and watched the sunrise over the hills.....and then preceded too just absolutely crush the forkies for 7 straight hours, lost count of how many I fought or bit my line, maybe 100 and set a new personal best by landing 48, too say today was just an all out blast is an understatement, no wind, bright sunny skies, good company, just one those days you live for. I'll never forget it.
           I know theres some locals upset us out of towners found out about this special place, but its leaked out and you can't un do it, it rarely freezes and dec raised limits too 5 too thin the lakers out, I think the guys this winter did just that, I might be over one more time next week, if not enjoy your beautiful lake, growing up on Cayuga myself, I forgot how beautiful it is in the great finger lakes region, fished naples a few times as a kid, but this was my first time ever on the broad lake, I'm glad I got too experience it  a few times.

Landed one near 30 inches that I released.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #215 on: Mar 25, 2015, 12:02 PM »
I have fished the lake the last few years, once from the boat, and the last 2 winters on the ice. The average laker size is going up for sure. The thinning out appears to be helping so far...

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #216 on: Mar 25, 2015, 12:51 PM »
wow.....looks like a blast for sure.......should have taken a road trip I guess

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #217 on: Mar 25, 2015, 01:26 PM »
wow.....looks like a blast for sure.......should have taken a road trip I guess

It was "Heaven"  Scout.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #218 on: Mar 25, 2015, 01:30 PM »
So freakin' jealous!!   Nice fish guys!   Already looking forward to next winter, uh snag?  ;D

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #219 on: Mar 25, 2015, 01:39 PM »
So freakin' jealous!!   Nice fish guys!   Already looking forward to next winter, uh snag?  ;D

wish you came out here man haven't fished with you in yrs.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #220 on: Mar 25, 2015, 03:10 PM »
  wish you came out here man haven't fished with you in yrs.

oh I have a feeling we'll be jigging up a few trout together next winter.  I bet you guys have some time left still on Keuka  ;) 

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #221 on: Mar 25, 2015, 03:22 PM »
GREAT JOB SNAGGER!! I have lived in the finger lakes my whole life and I never get sick of how beautiful it is around here. You said you fished Naples when you were a kid, id recommend giving it a try now after the 1st week when the crowds have thinned out. its no salmon river lol but more and more 10+lb rainbows have been being caught every year and fighting a fish like that in a little stream like Naples is freaking awesome.
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #222 on: Mar 25, 2015, 05:56 PM »
Snagger, very cool! 
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #223 on: Mar 25, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Pretty serious fish Shane (and crew)!

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #224 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:10 PM »
I couldn't stand it, I had to get my stuff out again and head beak to Keuka Lake yesterday and today.  Fishing was still great, plus no crowds!  I managed to catch nine more lakers, and loose a few others. Half on a blue/silver/orange rattle-trap, half on a black/white/tinsel bucktail jig.  Keuka Lake saved my season!!!!

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #225 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:24 PM »
I don't think the locals are as upset that out of towners are fishing...it's that they have to tell everyone and their brother about it and post it all over the Web for the world to see!!  Fire away, you know it's the truth!!  Why is it that when people go somewhere different they can put it out there, but when on their "home" water it's hush hush, blur the background in pics etc?? 

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #226 on: Mar 26, 2015, 08:01 AM »
I don't think the locals are as upset that out of towners are fishing...it's that they have to tell everyone and their brother about it and post it all over the Web for the world to see!!  Fire away, you know it's the truth!!  Why is it that when people go somewhere different they can put it out there, but when on their "home" water it's hush hush, blur the background in pics etc??

you make a pretty good point.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #227 on: Mar 26, 2015, 08:25 AM »

I'm probably the only guy on here posting, but on my news feed on facebook when Keuka first froze when my back was out, I had 100 pictures a week, day in and day out for 2 weeks, I bet I saw 500 pictures and reports before I finally made the trip out there.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #228 on: Mar 26, 2015, 08:28 AM »
you couldn't find a spoon, white tube, paddle tail or atomic fly in Pulaski, walls were sold out.. it was nuts, everyone had laker fever.

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #229 on: Mar 26, 2015, 10:52 AM »
I couldn't stand it, I had to get my stuff out again and head beak to Keuka Lake yesterday and today.  Fishing was still great, plus no crowds!  I managed to catch nine more lakers, and loose a few others. Half on a blue/silver/orange rattle-trap, half on a black/white/tinsel bucktail jig.  Keuka Lake saved my season!!!!
Fishing is ALWAYS great for Lakers at Keuka ................winter ,spring,summer,fall !! The problem is it doesn't always freeze , especially the Branchport arm !! I hope all the Perch fisherman from Seneca move their boats over to Keuka and get into the Laker fever !!!!! You can jig them up open water easier than thru the ice !!! Most of the 100's of pictures Snag saw were from the same guys !!
ice fishing rules

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #230 on: Mar 26, 2015, 11:11 AM »
On skinny I drop shot a white Berkley minnow with a 3oz sinker in 120'  As soon as it hits the bottom they are on. Not many big dogs yet but searching more every summer. Can mark fish 30 feet thick on the bottom some days. Most likely the same on most of the finger lakes. I always wonder why guys are trolling for them when you can mark them on a graph and drop right down. Great for first time people and kids. 7' medium rod with 6lb braid.

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #231 on: Mar 26, 2015, 11:24 AM »
Say what? Snagger posts his home waters(oneida/SR) more than anything, countless pics from Oneida walleye fishing, countless SR steelhead/salmon pics.
C'mon  >:(

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #232 on: Mar 26, 2015, 11:31 AM »
On skinny I drop shot a white Berkley minnow with a 3oz sinker in 120'  As soon as it hits the bottom they are on. Not many big dogs yet but searching more every summer. Can mark fish 30 feet thick on the bottom some days. Most likely the same on most of the finger lakes. I always wonder why guys are trolling for them when you can mark them on a graph and drop right down. Great for first time people and kids. 7' medium rod with 6lb braid.
I think I'll try that this summer when I get bored with the perchin, thx for the info!

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #233 on: Mar 26, 2015, 12:25 PM »
Say what? Snagger posts his home waters(oneida/SR) more than anything, countless pics from Oneida walleye fishing, countless SR steelhead/salmon pics.
C'mon  >:(

Does it say anywhere in my post that I was talking about snagger.  Take time to read before you jump to conclusions.  Your the one who just put the "blame" on him!

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #234 on: Mar 26, 2015, 12:34 PM »
I always wonder why guys are trolling for them when you can mark them on a graph and drop right down. Great for first time people and kids. 7' medium rod with 6lb braid.

I spend a lot of time in a kayak on a few of the finger lakes harassing the Lakers this way.... never a dull moment  ;)

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #235 on: Mar 26, 2015, 01:55 PM »
I spend a lot of time in a kayak on a few of the finger lakes harassing the Lakers this way.... never a dull moment  ;)
thats gotta be a blast!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline 1beaver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • trapper
« Reply #236 on: Mar 26, 2015, 02:18 PM »
isnt this web site set up to help other fisherman too find new spots...not like the so called locals own that lake..pently of other spots to ice fish lakers on keuka anyways...past three times i was down there i was all by myself...not like we are putting someone in your tree stand....its only fishing
the bone

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #237 on: Mar 26, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Couple of guys PM'ed me regarding the kayak fishing, figured I'd post some info here for all to see.

I'm using a Old Town Camden 120 sit-in style kayak.  It's 12 ft long, and handles the lakes pretty well and keeps me pretty dry.  My legs can get a bit warm if I'm in the sun all day, but nothing that's unbearable.  I been out a few time when the wind kicked up and it got a bit hairy getting back to my launch site, but never had to ditch it.  Also always wear a PFD when I'm solo; when with others, it's in the yak, but not necessarily on me. 

I've got a humminbird 597 mounted in the yak that runs off game camera battery I stuff behind the seat, and have no problem seeing a 1 oz ball head jig in 180+ FOW

Started out using short Ice Blue heavy's for rods, but found out that you can't always get the line around the bow if the fish gets turned around on ya.  Last year I switched up to a Bass Pro 7ft brawler with a baitcaster reel, and found it works better to get the fish moved around the yak.  Landing 'em is a bit harder with the longer rod, and I'm not really sure if it's better to just reach down and lift from the gill plate, or use the landing net. 

I do have an 18" drift sock that I tie off to the anchor trolly to help slow down the drift... I usually try to jig at first or last light when the winds are calm, so that also helps with both the wind and wake from motor boats.  If drifting a lot, I try to cast out ahead of my drift  so that when the jig hits bottom, I'm pretty close to being right on top of it.  I also carry a folding anchor with 250 ft of line, but I've never used it in anything deeper then ~80 FOW. 

As far as drifting / paddling / jigging, it's actually not that hard once you get the hang of it... I can use 1 hand to run the paddle to adjust the yak's drift, and if I get a fish, I just lay the paddle across the boat until I'm ready to land it.  I also keep the paddle on a leash, so it does go overboard it's not gonna get too far away from me.

Besides jigging lakers, I'll also pull a cow bell with a spin & glow or a 3-way with a 8-16 oz weight along the bottom.  I'm also planning on trying for browns using  floating raps and spoons on 3 -4 colors of lead once the ice is out.

I bounce around from Cayuga, Seneca, Keuka, Canandaigua, Canadice, Hemlock and the Erie canal.  If anyone has other questions, fell free to message me.

Old Town @ Keuka during last year's flooding:

Picture of older yak with fish finder @ Canadice

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #238 on: Mar 26, 2015, 09:50 PM »

pretty cool rig JJBat, my back couldn't handle that thing, usually by noon I'm laying on the ice in extreme pain just from sitting too long....

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #239 on: Mar 27, 2015, 05:50 AM »
That is friggin awesome right there   ;D

What is the biggest fish of any species you have landed on it?

I can't help but think of a 30 pound striper towing me all over the Hudson  :o

Couple of guys PM'ed me regarding the kayak fishing, figured I'd post some info here for all to see.

Picture of older yak with fish finder @ Canadice

(Image removed from quote.)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.