The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Jacket Upgrade?  (Read 819 times)

Offline 2Dales

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jacket Upgrade?
« on: Jan 01, 2020, 08:53 AM »
Thinking of upgrading my Arctic Armor Jacket to a Striker Predator (have the bibs). My biggest complaint with the Arctic Jacket is lack of breathability. I get condensation inside the jacket if I am working with it, drilling holes, etc. Can anyone comment on their experience with  condensation/breathability of the Striker Jacket? Thanks and Happy New Year!

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jacket Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:22 AM »
For what it is worth, I have the Striker Ice Climate jacket and it is very warm. It does breath pretty good but drilling holes is easy for me with my K-Drill. Have never worked up a sweat in it.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline KayakerB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Well done is better than well said
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2020, 02:52 PM »
It's sounds like your comfort level may be related to the things you wear underneath.

I recently bought a predator jacket because I wanted a more flexible oversized jacket to wear on really cold days.

I have the Frabill I float suit and the jacket  gets real clammy when it's warm or I'm working hard. It's also stiff on the sleeves  and close fitting so it does not allow for a lot of layering.

Your first layer should be a close fitting synthetic shirt which will allow sweat to "wick" aka spread out on the fabric so it can dry quickly.

Second layer should be a pile layer, like a polartec light fleece jacket or a Merino wool thin sweater. Then your jacket on top of those layers.

If you are working up a sweat lose the jacket for a little bit so you can cool down and dry out a bit. Then when you are feeling chilly, put the jacket back on to block the wind and trap body heat.

This layering strategy is used by mountaineers and ice climbers. They layer this way because it works.

Other people will say.. "hey I'm fine with a cotton t-shirt and cotton hoodie" and that's fine for them when they just retreat to their SUV to warm up. Mountaineers often refer to cotton as "death cloth" this is due to the fact that cotton will absorb a ton of sweat and it will  dry very slowly giving you a chill when it's cold or windy.

So you are better off upgrading you first few layers instead of buying a new shell which will leave you with the same problem if you are currently layering with cotton..

High quality base layers can be purchased at REI, EMS, LL Bean. Look at the fabric content in the package, if there is any cotton, don't buy it. If you do this, you can probably find acceptable pieces at Dicks, Bass Pro,  or other stores that sell ski gear

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2020, 03:53 PM »
Do it. I have the Predator jacket and like it a lot. There are more pockets than what I need, warm, and comfy too.

Offline 2Dales

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2020, 04:47 PM »
Guess I wasn't clear that the Jacket is damp inside, I am fine with my layering system. Just wondering if the Striker Jacket breathes.

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2020, 05:13 PM »
Mine seems to breath, but I layer appropriately, and to be honest the jacket is in the sled more than it's on me.  All breathable fabrics have a limit to how much water vapor they can pass in certain amount of time.   Gore trex used to be the leader in this area but I'm not sure anymore.  The Stryker stuff seems ok.

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:08 PM »
The Striker jacket has 3 zipper openings 1 in the back and 2 in the front sides. I think it breaths just fine, I closed my zippers today its was windy and cold.

Offline 2Dales

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2020, 08:55 PM »
thanks this helps!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.