Author Topic: mr heater little buddy thermo couple  (Read 6757 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
mr heater little buddy thermo couple
« on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:17 AM »
anybody know the part no. or where to get one?having problems finding the exact part without buying the whole valve assembly.not even on the mr heater website.i see thermo couples for all other heater models but not the one for the little buddy heater model mh4b.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: mr heater little buddy thermo couple
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2019, 03:40 PM »
Are you sure the thermo is the problem?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2019, 03:56 PM »
Yes for sure.ive had this heater apart many times.i have to keep bending it in the flame for it to lite or stay lit.been a lemon and its only been used a few times.ive adjusted it to many times and its going to break soon.lol

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:00 PM »
under 8$
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Thermocouple-Assembly-Switch/dp/B008DBR0H4

lots to pick from. most 10$
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds=&_ex_kw=&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_nkw=mr+heater+thermocouple&_sacat=&_sadis=&_sop=12&_udhi=&_udlo=&_fosrp=1

20$ complete pilot and thermocouple and pilot bracket and igniter
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/heater-mh9b-heater-parts-c-197733_197735_202230.html

more
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Mr.+Heater+Pilot+Assembly+for+Portable+Buddy&ref=nb_sb_noss
are these exact fit?.doesnt say model mh4b.and the one in the little buddy clips in with no nuts but if it does work i could adjust it better.it only clips in 2 positions now.this is the round heater that goes on top of the prop tank.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:02 PM »
Does the pilot light and immediately go out when you release the knob, like the thermo isn't getting hot?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:03 PM »
Does the pilot light and immediately go out when you release the knob, like the thermo isn't getting hot?
yeah then i adjust the thermo in a different place and it lights.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:05 PM »
Ive held the button till my hand cramps sometimes..funny it will work one day in a certian place in the flame then i have to bend it different for it to start up another day.unreliable.my portable buddy starts all the time but this little buddy sucks.had it totally apart so many times now.

Offline WardenAL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:06 PM »
The flame should be well into the thermocouple without adjustment. More often than not its fluid in the lines keeping the flame from running at full capacity. Compressed air helps to flush moisture out.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:10 PM »
try using a torch to light it

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:11 PM »
The flame should be well into the thermocouple without adjustment. More often than not its fluid in the lines keeping the flame from running at full capacity. Compressed air helps to flush moisture out.
ive done compressed air.alcohol with qtip.checked connections and even bypassed the tip over switch.that made no difference so i hooked that back up.the flame is nice and blue i just think the thermo couple is faulty.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:14 PM »
How easy is it to by-pass the tip over switch for testing. Continuity between the thermo and gas valve is interrupted by the tip switch. My Buddy had a dust problem,I by passed the switch, at my own risk of course.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:17 PM »
Well not sure if i by passed it but if I remember the thermo went to one side and a small green wire went on the other.i just removed the green wire.lol

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:24 PM »
The wires should  make a complete circuit fro the thermo to the valve.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:53 PM »
The wires should  make a complete circuit fro the thermo to the valve.
right.i hooked it back up and got the heater to lite and i tipped it and it turned off so i guess mt tip over switch is good.so youd just wire the wires together?wiring is not my strong suit.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Does the heater work normally ? Tip switches are touchy on dust intrusion. Mine would work if I gave it a sharp rap on the ice, dislodge contaminents from the contact area. Give the direct wire a try.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:38 PM »
Yeah when it lights it works fine.this heater is clean and like new besides being 2 years old but only used 3 times last year.stored in a bucket with lid.ive got the thermo couple bent to the outside so the flame is right on it.it was over the gas port more before and not in the flame.it lit a few minutes ago and it’s freezing out.but tommorrows a different day and it probably wont light.lol.using full 1lb propane tanks.warm or cold doesnt seem to make a difference.just moving the thermo couple all over gets it to light.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:54 PM »
If the tip switch is at fault, the pilot will light but will go out when you release the button. Shouldn't need more than 30 sec to heat thermo. Of course if you chose to by-pass the tip switch, you do so at risk.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:14 PM »
are these exact fit?.doesnt say model mh4b.and the one in the little buddy clips in with no nuts but if it does work i could adjust it better.it only clips in 2 positions now.this is the round heater that goes on top of the prop tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Heater-F273117-Replacement-Brass-Thermocouple/dp/B01E6JRFQ2

Question:
Will this fit little buddy heater (mh4b)?
Answer:

Yes
By Amazon Customer on November 15, 2018

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2019, 02:27 AM »
Yeah when it lights it works fine.this heater is clean and like new besides being 2 years old but only used 3 times last year.stored in a bucket with lid.ive got the thermo couple bent to the outside so the flame is right on it.it was over the gas port more before and not in the flame.it lit a few minutes ago and it’s freezing out.but tommorrows a different day and it probably wont light.lol.using full 1lb propane tanks.warm or cold doesnt seem to make a difference.just moving the thermo couple all over gets it to light.

thing is the thermo couple is a freon filled bulb the gas expands when heated and opens the gas valve..  any how make sure the bulbs not all sooted up with soot propane burns clean but not that clean.

To clean bulb off use the edge of a knife to lightly scrape sure off if you use sand paper the sand on paper can glaze the bulb and insolate it more then needed..

By the way soot is a insulator lke the thermo plastic coating on a wire as soot insolates from heat as plastic does to electricity..

Also make sure the bulbs not empty of freon if it cracked or punctured then replace it..

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2019, 09:42 AM »
Have to ask. If the thermocouple is freon control, then why would it have wiring involved?  The thermostat control for my camper furnace has a three inch long bulb connected via a very small tube to the gas valve. The thermocouple is a separate control to open the valve.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Could be a Spark igniter?  But some times they do use thermocouples which use electricity to open gas vavles.. Weather the heater in your rv has this I don't know cause I don't know the brand cause its your rv..  the buddy heaters that are most common mh4 mh9 and m18b  all use a freon pressured bulb as there "flame proving devise"..

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2019, 10:33 AM »
Furnace is a Hydro Flame, no apark igniter.  My buddy heater pilot wouldn't stay lit until I jarred the heater. When I took it apart to figure what was going on, I by-passed the tip switch, heater works perfect. Definately electrical. The upside is the heater can be laid on it's side , grill facing up, for cooking purposes. The early buddy heaters didn't have the tip switch.

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:00 PM »
When it happens again try pushing your "off" button 4 or 5 times and then try it again and see if it stays lit. I had the same problem you are describing and after tearing mine apart three times I finally figured out that the "off" button was sticking and not allowing the heater to stay lit once I let go of the "on" button. Was a real pain to find, I kept thinking it was the thermal couple as well until I started checking the switch with a multimeter and found that it wasn't closing when I released it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:56 PM »
When it happens again try pushing your "off" button 4 or 5 times and then try it again and see if it stays lit. I had the same problem you are describing and after tearing mine apart three times I finally figured out that the "off" button was sticking and not allowing the heater to stay lit once I let go of the "on" button. Was a real pain to find, I kept thinking it was the thermal couple as well until I started checking the switch with a multimeter and found that it wasn't closing when I released it.
wish it was that.i was running it terminator style with the plastic shell completely off and test that too.it lit all 3 times in the last 3 days.once in 5 degrees,32 and 35.but thats here at the house and i have to hold the button down till my fingers are fatigued .once i get to the lake that damn thing wont start!lol

Offline RickC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:02 PM »
I had the same issue with my Hunting Buddy a couple years ago. After some research I came to the conclusion that my thermocouple was mounted incorrectly from the factory. There are 2 notches on them, mine was mounted on the top notch (yellow arrow in pic). I moved it to the bottom notch (red arrow) so it is  more into the flame. It is a major pain in the arse to dis/re-assemble the heater but ever since I did this it's been working great. The pic is the proper mounting position of thermocouple. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:48 PM »
I had the same issue with my Hunting Buddy a couple years ago. After some research I came to the conclusion that my thermocouple was mounted incorrectly from the factory. There are 2 notches on them, mine was mounted on the top notch (yellow arrow in pic). I moved it to the bottom notch (red arrow) so it is  more into the flame. It is a major pain in the arse to dis/re-assemble the heater but ever since I did this it's been working great. The pic is the proper mounting position of thermocouple. 

been there done that too.tried both notches,the little buddy has the same 2 notch setup.it worked hi up but pushed the flame onto the igniter tip turning it cherry red quickly.im actually thinking about contacting mr.heater yeah its 2 years old but used very few times and was hard to light from the beginning.dont know why I didn't take it back to the store back then.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.