New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: writing on tip up flags  (Read 3478 times)

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
writing on tip up flags
« on: Mar 28, 2008, 09:25 PM »
In NY we have to put name and address on our tip ups.
I write mine on the flag. Do you folks do this or
should I do something else?

Offline frog11

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: writing on tip up flags
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2008, 08:06 AM »
Thats what I did too, but I learned from this site you can use an address label or make your own label if you have an labeling machine  which makes it easier to change especially if you let another person use yours

Offline Ethan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work is for people who don't no how to fish
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:27 AM »
i write it on the tip it self but im the only one that uses them were some peopleplet otheres use theres

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:29 AM »
you have to put your name on your traps?  what a rediculous rule!  what if you let someone use your traps... can they get in trouble if their liscense doesn't match the name..  dumb rule.. you have some whacky rules in Ny, from bait to traps!!! don't your DEC guys have better things to do than match trap names to the actual fisherman... ???

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2008, 11:04 AM »
Blaster, It's no big deal... Makes it really easy to see who is compling with # of Traps and hand lines.

As you said "Traps" and just like all Traps, Animal, bait, Fish they all have to have the operaters name and address so DEC does not have to guess who is telling the truth when they are told "They aren't mine"

In NY I think we can run more lines than you and NH. No permit to have a hard shanty on the ice, and we can continue to fish the ice after april 1st for open season species.

Perm Shanties must have name and address in 3" block letters and be off the ice 15 March. They won't leave the ticket on the Shanty (may be bad ice) it goes to your residence.

Once you get used to the rules they aren't so bad, and remember, they are there cause some dirtbag was trying to abuse the resource at some time or another.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Blaster, It's no big deal... Makes it really easy to see who is compling with # of Traps and hand lines.

Once you get used to the rules they aren't so bad, and remember, they are there cause some dirtbag was trying to abuse the resource at some time or another.
  Figures it was some Genious who caused the laws,
well in Maine you can have 5 lines, any combination of jig rod or tipups (here they are called traps) on 95% of lakes some are two line limit,  But with no writing on them, the warden if checking will count the number of traps, and then divide by the number of fisherman, if it equals 5 or less everything is hunky dorry, if not there is a problem.. everyone is usually really good at having only 5 out.   Hardside shanties can be on the ice until and up to 3 days after April 1st,  some ponds you have to take it off by 3 days past the 15th because the season ends on those ponds.  Shacks must have name/ town/ and phone number on the shack.. one thing I know you guys have is the receipt you need to carry from the bait shop and have you with it. we can trap and hold our own bait with saves $$$  tight lines!

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2008, 03:02 PM »
I put my name on the trap itself, sometimes the flag, sometimes I make a letter label and stick it on them. I always let other people use them and never worry about DEC. They are so lame, they couldn't catch a cold standing in the middle of the creek in the middle of winter. I dont even think they work in the winter time. The only people who ever check me are border patrol, and they only check the liscence. I've been Ice fishing for 17 years now and have never had anybody look at the address on the tip-up.
                                                                                                                  JK

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2008, 03:14 PM »
Here in michigan we have to put our name on our traps for pretty much one reason.  THE UNATTENDED TRAP. Your name doesn't have to match the trap. But if one is unnatended someone will be held accountable.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2008, 10:42 AM »
I put my name on the trap itself, sometimes the flag, sometimes I make a letter label and stick it on them. I always let other people use them and never worry about DEC. They are so lame, they couldn't catch a cold standing in the middle of the creek in the middle of winter. I dont even think they work in the winter time. The only people who ever check me are border patrol, and they only check the liscence. I've been Ice fishing for 17 years now and have never had anybody look at the address on the tip-up.
                                                                                                                  JK

Wow! I don't even know how to respond That would even matter to you.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline walleygod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleygod
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2008, 12:19 PM »
1 fisherman 5 tip-ups tip-ups no fisherman somethings wrong if their doing wrong just to be jerks throw the book ay them if their breaking the law they probably dont have there names on them anyway
if 1 fish farts it gives them all away

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2008, 12:33 PM »
I used to write my info on the flags but after I moved about three times I started using address labels and just put clear tape over them.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline ahester14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2008, 12:38 PM »
you have to put your name on your traps?  what a rediculous rule!  what if you let someone use your traps... can they get in trouble if their liscense doesn't match the name..  dumb rule.. you have some whacky rules in Ny, from bait to traps!!! don't your DEC guys have better things to do than match trap names to the actual fisherman... ???
no they dont..thats the sad thing :tipup:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2008, 01:06 PM »
ok. first of all, the DEC is not lame, and i would gladly point out anybody breaking game laws. if you're too lazy to put your name on your tip-ups, then you are part of the problem. i did a test a few weeks ago. less than a minute to put my name and address on a piece of tape, then to put it on the tip-up. no excuse not too. and as far as having nothing better to do, there are not enough of them, and they don't get paid enough. if you had more than one bad experience with them, it was probably your own fault. most posts here agree with what i said. we have very liberal game laws. some states allow only 2 lines. in new hampshire, if you catch a land locked salmon through the ice, and can identify it ::), you can't bring it through the hole. you have to cut the line! look around you. we got it pretty darn good! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2008, 01:29 PM »
ok. first of all, the DEC is not lame, and i would gladly point out anybody breaking game laws. if you're too lazy to put your name on your tip-ups, then you are part of the problem. i did a test a few weeks ago. less than a minute to put my name and address on a piece of tape, then to put it on the tip-up. no excuse not too. and as far as having nothing better to do, there are not enough of them, and they don't get paid enough. if you had more than one bad experience with them, it was probably your own fault. most posts here agree with what i said. we have very liberal game laws. some states allow only 2 lines. in new hampshire, if you catch a land locked salmon through the ice, and can identify it ::), you can't bring it through the hole. you have to cut the line! look around you. we got it pretty darn good! ;D
Amen to that one pooley.
Around here we have to deal with the Fish,Wildlife and Parks.for the most part they are just people with a job to do,no different than any one of us going to work every day and doing the work that`s handed down to us from our supervisors or the people we are doing the work for.Some of these people will tell us the mistakes of our ways and let us correct them and let it go.
There are a verry few that are gungho and are going to write a ticket at the slightest infraction.Is it right for that person to do so?Yes,if a rule or law is broken.My mistake and a lesson learned. ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline Perch tugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2008, 03:38 PM »
Well put MrMarty;

I feel the same way here in North Dakota.

Perch tugger

Offline hpflyfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2008, 03:40 PM »
Here Here

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2008, 03:51 PM »
JK,
 Why do you even bother to get a licence?  You are so smart and the ECO's are so lame  

Just a word of advice. You may want to remove that post about the ECO's being so lame. Or not.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2008, 05:55 PM »
JK,
 Why do you even bother to get a licence?  You are so smart and the ECO's are so lame, they must help you haul out your under size and illegal fish.  

Just a word of advice, and I know I am not as smart as you. You may want to remove that post about the ECO's being so lame, before one of the many that are also on Ice Shanty see it and email those border HLS guys and they throw you in the can for being a Terrorist trying to sneak in the country  >:(

With all due respect, If that is his opinion then it's fine.  I don't agree with it but I put my life on the line for such simple things as our rights..........  What goes around comes around, let it fly........ 

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2008, 06:06 PM »
I have small brass tags screwed onto my Beaver Dam tip ups.

Offline bearjohnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 30, 2008, 06:32 PM »
dont worry about all the hype.these replies come from the same people that think it's funny to feed people deer crap.
good judgement comes from experience,  experience comes from bad judgement

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Hey Ice Dog 69,
       I did 21 years of service, keeping terroists out of the country and involved in 3 seperate combat theaters. You could not have possibly know that because you are so stuck up DEC Keister. You act so femenine that it shocks me that you even fish at all.I only call it as I see it. I do follow the laws as all my tip ups are marked, although DEC would not know this because they dont do sucha hot job. I can say this because I am an american entitled to my own opinion, just as you are. I fought for that right, so all i want to hear come out of your mouth is THANK YOU!!!!
                                                               JK

Offline big_fishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 30, 2008, 09:03 PM »
I have been checked and at most they will check one tipup to see if it is right. They seemed real fair and friendly. 

I will say it depends on where you go, if you go to perch lake expect to be checked.

Chaumont, I never saw a DEC guy there all year, hence the tons of trash on the ice.

Offline walleygod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleygod
« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2008, 03:08 PM »
dont worry about all the hype.these replies come from the same people that think it's funny to feed people deer crap.
how ya doin bear almost time to get after open water crapies and perch see ya soon  :angel :angel :angel
if 1 fish farts it gives them all away

Offline bearjohnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2008, 03:22 PM »
I'm good.i would like to be the first to say thank you to Jeffrey krow. amen to someone to speak their mind about the DEC. i learned my lesson the last time that i voiced my opinion about them,seems that i got alot of grief about it.thank you jeffrey for keeping us free to be able to have an opinion. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
good judgement comes from experience,  experience comes from bad judgement

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 31, 2008, 05:13 PM »
JK,
 Just wanted to let you know that I modified my post of March 30th.  It was not correct of me to portray you as an Outlaw. It was unfair of me to assume  that you had a disregard of the rules from your statement.
 I respect the fact that you can have what ever opinion you choose. You are not the only one who has served on this forum. Your service, Icedogs, or mine....( Yes, I have some blood sweat and tears on foreign soil) makes us any better to judge, demean others.

What I don't understand is..... your attitude and disrespect for The DEC being a military Vet. I would think after 21 years of service you would fly off the handle At any sign of disrespect and insubortive attitude.
In my Units this would usually result in a blanket party, as Attitudes like that got people in a world of hurt.

I don't want this forum to disintergrate to name calling and insults,such as.....
You could not have possibly know that because you are so stuck up DEC Keister. You act so femenine that it shocks me that you even fish at all.I only call it as I see it. I do follow the laws as all my tip ups are marked, although DEC would not know this because they dont do sucha hot job.
Thus my first post to this thread:

Wow! I don't even know how to respond That would even matter to you.

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 31, 2008, 07:59 PM »
Maybe I should explain a little bit about myself. I respect people, not positions. I'm not saying that I totally disrespect DEC. I have great respect for one of the former DEC agents( Bill Reynolds) who retired a few years ago, and ever since, my trapping, hunting, fishing grounds have not been the same. Bill did his job with utmost professionalism. I do a lot of treapping and since he retired, I have had a lot of trap theft going on in my area. When you confront DEC about this, they give you the attitude that they dont really care. I was raised in Pa. and love to hunt doves. I was trying to head up a commitee to bring dove hunting to NY, and wrote to DEC about how to go about getting a dove hunting season in New York. I wrote a two page letter on how doves were migratory birds and eat more grain from farmers fields than any other migratory bird. Two pages of facts and when he emailed me back, the only thing he had to say in the whole response was "Doves are not migratory birds" That is all he said. DEC, and doesn't even know that doves are migratory. When you look them up for information, the first thing mentioned is that they are migratory.
     I once had a DEC officer tell me that they dont stock pheasants here because the hunters would just shoot them.
     These are the things that leave a bad taste in my mouth about DEC. I feel they care more about non hunters and non-trappers and non-fisherman than they do about the people who really fund the and care for the resource itself. Without hunters fisherman and trappers, the animals would not be able to survive with the programs that are in place right now. We fund those programs. Every time we buy a license, we help the wild life.
     I hope that shed a little light on my belief. I do have friends in the DEC and they know how I feel about the situation.Thanks,
                                  JK

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #26 on: Apr 01, 2008, 07:12 AM »
 I disagree... The position is what needs to be respected. The example of our Governor comes immediately to mind. regardless of your politics, the position has to be respected for what it is. If the person in the position brings dishonor to it then they need to bear that cross. The position still remains regardless.

Your reasoning is backwards and just sounds like justification to bash DEC. It sounds like your Bad experience is with certain people and not positions..... I would suggest you take your proposals to the next level (chain of command) or to a forum such as this to influence decision makers.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #27 on: Apr 01, 2008, 09:07 AM »
Hey Jimmy, It seems like you are beating a dead horse,JK seems to be set in his ways and his opinion
is his opinion, he can choose to not respect anyone, as you can choose to respect the position
of the DEC. Either way agree to disagree sounds better than dragging out a DEC is good / bad argument.

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #28 on: Apr 01, 2008, 09:13 AM »
Also, JC and JK, Why dont you stop hijacking this thread and start your own to argue back and forth.
Woodfolk, who asked where people put there names on the flags, or on the tipup did not ask
your thoughts on where you stand on DEC.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #29 on: Apr 01, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Sooo ...
Did we ever determine what is the best way to label a tip up?   :wacko:

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor