New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Would like to learn...  (Read 982 times)

Offline pelleg80

• IceShanty Rookie
Would like to learn...
« on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:33 AM »
Good morning! I am interested in learning the ins-and-outs of ice fishing and would like to find somebody to teach me their passion-- i learn better when it's on a personal level.
Is there anybody in or around the Mohawk Valley who would like to teach?!

Offline pelleg80

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Would like to learn...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Funny boys.. im looking for somebody skilled and wants to take me with them!!

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:52 AM »
add your location to your profile an try posting in your state. also check your states page to see if there is a meetup anytime this season, that'd be a great place to learn a few things and meet some people

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:56 AM »
I don't know where you are in the Mohawk Valley, but if you're near the capital region, the DEC is running an instruction day in Troy on Jan 20th. See the link below.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/112329.html

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:07 PM »
For personal lessons you’re better off asking in your local forum. If you go to the main forums listing (ice shantie’s ice fishing community) and go down the page, you’ll see listings for just about every state accross the ice belt. Otherwise, I’ve learned a lot from watching YouTube shows like indepth outdoors and uncut angleing.
Otherwise just go out there and try to talk to some people, the ice fishing community is usually fairly friendly.
Overall, start off with the best of the essentials as you can afford until you figure out what style of fishing you prefer. If you want to catch fish jigging then I’d invest in some sort of sonar, or just set some traps (how many lines you can use depends on local law) and maybe jig between flags. Or, you could be like my friend that just set traps in areas he knows he’s had luck before, sends the bait down a foot or so off of the bottom, then sits back and drinks till he gets a flag. He’s usually just fishing for bass and curses at all the perch he ends up catching.
Details on location and techniques really depend on body of water and species you’re after.
Don’t forget the basic safety equipment like Picks and spud. For augers, you can start off with a good hand auger, and if you have a good brushless drill, you got yourself a power auger. you’ll see all the clam plate discussions, I own one and recommend one!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Good morning! I am interested in learning the ins-and-outs of ice fishing and would like to find somebody to teach me their passion-- i learn better when it's on a personal level.
Is there anybody in or around the Mohawk Valley who would like to teach?!

If you live in the Mohawk Valley, you should go to the NY forum and post your question there.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Pelleg8o if you are talking about Mohawk river valley of New York try posting in NY. forum asking for person to go out with and show you the basics. I would definitely make plans to attend the event Iloveacrappiedinner posted the hyperlink to good start to gaining knowledge about ice fishing. Also check local book stores/library for books on ice fishig.
Steve

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Hey P80, where do you live? Mohawk Valley is pretty vague and you might get a better response if someone in that area is close to you

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:41 AM »
If he is in South Texas, I will even bring the gear.... ;D...h2l
Northville, NY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.