The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What's up with promised land?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Foxbow

• IceShanty Rookie
What's up with promised land?
« on: Nov 25, 2005, 07:01 PM »
Ha got ya. I just love the wealth of info the intenet can provide. I can see that people from here like to go there, and the PFBC surveys look very promising. I'm a newbee here, and I have never fished these lakes and wondered some things. How much pressure do they get? Which lake is better? (I prefer to catch crappies) Is there any topo/structure maps available (I have the park map). Where would be a good place to start. I'm hoping to make this my "sure bet" lake, much like lake shenango back in mercer co. is. Love that lake. Thanks in advance for the info. ;D :tipup:
"Be the dominant predator!"

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What's up with promised land?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2005, 09:58 AM »
I fished the "Pickeral Point" area of the larger lake a couple of times last year.  I managed to pick up some decent perch and bluegills.  One of those days was "really good", and the other two or three were much slower.  If you set out some tip-ups, you can catch all of the 14" - 16" pickeral ( skinny hammer handles) that you want.  I believe the smaller lake is stocked with trout, and may have crappies as well, but I'm not sure.

I stopped at the Peck's Pond store on my first trip up, and I purchased a decent map of Promised Land lake.  It's not too far out of the way.  Here is a link to their website.  Maybe you can order a map from them and have it delivered to you.

http://www.peckspond.com/

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Fished the upper lake three times last year; no great days as far as long periods of activity, but always enjoyed myself.  Did land some nice pumpkinseeds, and a few decent perch. Also caught some good pickerel, the best was 23'' and he was not skinny. The problem is; if you want to find the panfish, and you put out a few tip-ups, the small pickerel will set off so many flags it's hard to concentrate. When you find the panfish and they're biting it's a blast. Haven't caught any crappie though, and I tend to fish til dark. I saw the map Thor is talking about last year (another IS member); too bad they don't carry it at the Lake Store!

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2005, 06:41 PM »
Just don't be like this guy did last winter on Lower Promised Land and go that close to open water. And be careful out from the bridge. I got lucky last year there.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.