The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jigging or Tipups?????  (Read 1093 times)

igloolou

Jigging or Tipups?????
« on: Nov 20, 2005, 08:14 PM »
OK, so what is your preferred way of ice fishing?

For me it has been setting out my tipups and then jigging when I become bored or the tipups are slow.  Last year I gave jigging more of a try and did pretty well.  Usually there is a group of us and we stand around shooting the bull and cooking food so it's more like a group thing. 
I very rarely icefish by myself, but I was thinking maybe I'll do more jigging and make some solo journeys this year.

Also for jigging do you prefer live bait or lures?

Thanks all

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jigging or Tipups?????
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2005, 08:30 PM »
First of all, it was good to meet and talk with you today.

On your question........do both ;D ;D

Pick the area you are going to fish, drill a dozen or so holes, set out 3 or 4 tipups and jig the rest, moving from hole to hole.

Try using both lures and bait, together. A small jig, tipped with a waxie or a small Swedish pimple/castmaster/buckshot tipped with a minnow head.
Or a small jig/waxie with a dropper rig, running a small minnow on the dropper hook.
Move till you find fish........
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2005, 10:32 PM »
Good advice! Or maybe I just like it because that's how I usually fish. The last line is probably the most important: move until you find fish. Often for me that means leaving dink gills in pursuit of bigger prey. I've watched guys set out five tip-ups and never move, even though they got no action at all. Don't be a slave to your tip-ups! It is much more fun to hook and fight fish on a jigging pole IMO, but despite that I often land my biggest fish on a tip-up or a  dead stick rig, tipped with a minnow. Still, you can cover a lot of area with your jigging rods and yet be close enough to cover your flags or still rigs. You can learn a lot by experimenting with different combinations.

Offline jiggin617

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2005, 08:58 PM »
I agree with Byron and Van_Cleaver. Move until you find fish.. Mobility is key.

I focus more on jigging but I'll also put out 2-3 tipups in the area I'm fishing. For live baits I like waxies, mousies, and minnows. I'll use them on genz worms, genz bugs, marmooskas, ratfinkees, buckshots and sweedish pimples with and without dropper hooks. Sometimes I’ll run a rig with a genz worm or marmooska and then tie on a wet fly(no bait) about a foot up the line.  I’ll give each hole about 5 minutes before I move on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.