Author Topic: Why is tipup line such a high pound test?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline IceRaider

• Team IceShanty Regular
Why is tipup line such a high pound test?
« on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:24 AM »
This is a newbie question. I was thinking of buying my first tipup. I've never used them before. I noticed the lb. test line for them is very high. Why is that?

Offline iceman8132

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Why is tipup line such a high pound test?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:48 AM »
 Depending on how you fish you can't exactly sit there and watch a tip-up like hawk and sometimes you get a little complacent and forget to check for extended periods so a fish could be on there for a half hour or more taking out line and if its a big fish you could potentially loose it all and still not have to worry about it breaking (hopefully). Another reason is thinner line such as a mono would be pretty hard to pack tight and keep from getting tangled etc. Also after you take a tip-up out of the water and move to another spot the line will freeze which is a pain but not too bad since its thicker and you can pull on it and not have to worry about slicing open your hands. Over all it's just easier to use.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2013, 04:50 AM »
Heavier line is easier on the hands when pulling a heavy fish in. Also the ice can raise havoc on light line as you fight a fish. There are other reasons people prefer heavier line. I will let them chime in.

WS

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:01 AM »
mainly because it needs to be strong.  there is no give in hand lining like there is with a rod. the other reasons given are also all true.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:16 AM »
You're also gonna add a leader of the pound test of your choosing, it's not all braid.

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:27 AM »
Tree stumps,rocks,zebra mussels,pack ice and probably the best reason for the HD line.   BIG FISH ;)

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:40 AM »
I typically fish for perch but my tipups have 50lb test Dacron line on them. You know for that 50# perch I'm hunting for. ;-)  It is just easier to handle when fighting a fish and when its piled on the ice, it won't tangle as easy as the thin stuff.  Just finish up the end with whatever leader material fits your fishing. Going for perch, I use 6# fc w a double treble rig.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Plus it can take the abrasion against the ice at the hole's edge better than mono.

Easy to handle, freezes "well" and is still manageable, gives you more power to fight the bigger fish.

Thinner braid just invites problems that you don't want to be dealing with when you have a trophy fish on the end of the line!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:51 PM »
My opinion, the higher # test is simply for handling purposes. I fish almost exclusively for pike and catch a good share of incidental muskies. For me 36# Dacron is a good balance between handling properties and getting enough line on one of the small Polar spools.

I've caught fish in open water that weigh over 3x the pound test of the line. Just gotta know what you're doing. No different on hard water. Your fingers are the finest drag on the planet and as long as you've got line left on the spool you should never "break one off" or straighten a hook. Pike and muskies can cut through plastic leaders but that is a different problem.....

You can adjust your final presentation for different species by tailoring your leader.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.