Author Topic: Ok, need some ice reports  (Read 7234 times)

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
Ok, need some ice reports
« on: Nov 21, 2010, 09:47 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm coming up to Horsethief Res sat. Would bet my last dollar the ice is good there or will be by sat. Any report on Cascade? Has it skimmed over yet? Would rather fish it sat but I guess I'll just stop by on my way to Horsethief.

I smell ice...., Hogger

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ok, need some ice reports
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2010, 12:46 PM »
You really think there will be safe ice on horsetheif? Sure we will be getting 5 days of ice making weather, but the fall has been so warm i dont know if the lake temperature in down enough? just a few thoughts

Offline Skando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2010, 01:19 PM »
There is supposed to be a lot of wind associated with the mid-week sub-zero weather. I really hate to be the pessimist here, but I bet the ice that forms will be broken up.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Stay safe fellows. There are too few of us to lose even one.

Local report for Tuesday night is possible -21.

Lookin' forward to early ice.    Tight lines.

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2010, 06:31 PM »
I'm always ready to improvise...I'll have some open water gear w/ me and no, I don't ever take chances. If there isn't a solid 4" you won't find my butt out there.

I am optimistic that water temps are cooled down enough. And I'll keep an out for break-ups indicating thin, wind beaten ice. I think the elev. at Horsethief is well above 5000' and 3 weeks ago I was freezing my butt off deer huntin the Owyhees. Even got some new snow up there three days after that.

I'm gonna head up to horsethief on sat and I'll let you guys how it looks...I smell ice comin on, Hogger

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2010, 08:53 PM »
How much snow is up there?  If there is little or no snow, I bet you will be doin' dandy on the ice.  A heavy layer of insulating snow is another story.

Jim

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2010, 09:09 PM »
Hey Jim,

Long time no...talk? How ya been? I'm bout ready come up there to winchester and catch some cats through the ice. Just let me know when.

As far as snow up around the horsethief area, I don't think there was a whole lot before this weekend. I'm hoping that the ice was starting to form before it hit. With temps below  zero the ice should keep forming somewhat, shouldn't it?

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2010, 11:46 PM »
I wonder if anyone is up at the new YMCA camp year round and what their phone number is!

Offline jezzhuntin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:08 AM »
Rob,

I would call Tackle Tom he will know.  I haven't been up to the cabin in the last few weeks as i have been deer hunting.  I would say negative on Cascade, really early, but if this weather holds for a solid week i would say yes. 

Offline plumrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2010, 12:22 PM »
As of this morning, no ice on Cascade. They got 24"+ of snow yesterday. Wind is always the enemy on Cascade until it freezes over.
"We were not put on this earth to judge, just to observe"

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Hey Thanks for the info Plumrob! By chance have you heard anything about horsethief? Guess I'll plan more for open water and let the ice be a nice surprise (if there is any).

Sure hate to think I'm going spend the weekend after a cold, snowy week, making rod holders...but making holes in ice or making jigger totters both are satisfying.

Offline plumrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Have not heard anything about Horsethief, best bet is to call Tackle toms. Tom always knows what the conditions are.
"We were not put on this earth to judge, just to observe"

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Hey Plum,

Thanks again, I'm working the next 3 nights...bbrrrrr....if I'm going to be in the cold, I'd rather be playin'. I'll TT's for the ice report, plus I need to see if he needs anymore of my ice rod holders.

"It's beginning to look alot like...ICE FISHING"!!! Hogger

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Hogger, shoot me an [email protected]. I live in Boise....

Offline Skando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2010, 08:40 AM »
looks like some ice forming on Payette Lake.

http://www.mayhardware.com/marina.php

That's a good sign

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2010, 12:18 AM »
  Buddy was on Spring Valley this morning...actually walked about five feet off the dock; got scared and ran back to the dock.  He guesses between 3/4 and 1" of ice as of 1pm today.  The good news is that there was NO SNOW on it and with a daytime high of around 12 degrees in Moscow, ice is being made!!!!  Plan on getting on the ice on Friday...not sure where yet.

Hogger, I will let you know about Wichester as soon as I get some solid information on the condition of the water.

Jim

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2010, 02:49 PM »
All of the reports seem to be from the west side of the state , Here is one from the east . They are ice fishing Henry's Lake and doing real well . Two guys on another forum reported 100 fish in five hours . I will be up there next Tuesday and post what happens for us . Curt G.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2010, 05:49 PM »
Thanx Curt,

I was wondering when we were going to hear from you, buddy. I just figured you guys already had fishable ice and you had forgotten all about your shanty buddies, LOL.

Be safe on Tues and have tons of fun. (oh, and catch a few, would ya?)

Rob

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Was on the ICE TODAY!!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2010, 05:04 PM »
  This afternoon a buddy and I went to Moose Creek Reservoir.  Ice was about 1.5" thick and it was crap ice; single stroke of the spud and it went through.  Next, we checked out a couple smaller ponds called The Blue Lagoon...  Ice looked better, but the spud still went through with a single stroke.  Spring Valley was the last on our list...  The main body of the lake had crap ice so we hit a small arm of the reservoir.  Talking about 1/3" inch of great ice and roughly 1.5 inches of crap...we went for it!!!  Sure, we were in a whopping 4.1 feet of water, but we were ice fishing!!!!  My buddy was having problems with his Marcum showing his lure, so I went over to help out.  When I was roughly 3 feet away from my sitting friend on the shore side, there was a slight cracking sound.  His eyes got big and he got off his bucket and went towards shore.  "Why are you walking towards me?" I asked?  As soon as that sentence left my lips, "KWOOOOSH!"  Yup, into the drink we went.  
  In something like 36 years of ice fishing, that was a first for me.  No, the water wasn't deep and the cuffs on my snowpants kept all but a dribble of water out of my boots.  Hmmm....I think I know why I never attempted to get on the ice in the month of November before!  And yes, knowing what I do know, I would go out there again.  I WAS ICEFISHING TODAY!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline 45Fly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2010, 10:56 PM »
Ok I think there needs to be some clarification to this story. First DakotaElkSlayer put me on the thin ice and then when I said I was having trouble with my Marcum he decides to walk over to me. I turned on my bucket to see where he was going. As soon as I realized he was going to join me on my bucket. I decided to give him some room. I turned to move away from him when his added weight caused the ice to give away.  Now for the real point the only reason his cuff of his pants kept most of the water out was he was trying to stand on my shoulders to keep dry. I got wet over my knees but wouldn’t have if he had not used me as a stepping stone to get to the bank. (not really)
 It was kind of funny as Jim grabbed the bank with one hand and me with the other and all he could say was my feet are dry.  But it was just an other day on the ice kind of.
 I did tell him next I will leave the rope on the bank and wear my ice picks.  He is always fun to fish with. ;)   

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2010, 11:03 PM »
Hahahaha....hehehehe.. ..oh my gosh!!!!!

Great story guys. But seriously, I'm glad to hear you're both okay. I am still set on going to Horsethief tomorrow. I do realize how cautious I have to be. I will be taking open water gear just in case.

My buddy went to Henry's Lake today and said he and his boy got 16. His son got a 21" brookie.

I'll let you guys know what I find out, I'll probably stop by cascade, but I'm pretty sure it's nowhere close to being ready. Hogger

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2010, 01:30 AM »
I think I would cut off my left hand for a 21" brookie!

Jim

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2010, 02:05 PM »
Did you guys lose any equipment . Like fish finders on tackle . Curt G.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2010, 04:42 PM »
No, we didn't lose a thing...  Getting Justin's stuff off the ice was a bit tricky due to the large portion of open water now next to it.

Jim

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Weeeeeee Freeeaaaakinnn Hhaaaahhhhh!!!!

I found fishable ice today!!! Cascade by the dam is completely open water, hardly any ice even on the bank.(bummer :(     So I skeedaddled up the hill to Horsethief. Found the res. completely covered, things were looking up. I went to the day use area down by the dam and found about 3" of fishable ice right off the dock. 15' out from there it got dangerously thin. Had 4 rods out, caught 7 bows, one 16" and missed tons of bites. Snowing like mad but not too cold. Stayed in my jeans. I was there for about 3hrs.

They aren't plowing the road back to the res this year. So if you go take a snowmobile, won't be too long before it'll be too deep for atv's too.

Happy Hogger

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2010, 06:34 PM »
awesome news icehogger! good job on the recon. Sorry for being a doubting thomas...Can a 4x4 truck get in do you think?

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2010, 08:10 PM »
I got in today in my expedition but there was already 5-6" on the road and it was coming down hard when I left. If you have a lift kit on it, it will still be ok I think.

Just to let you know I fished at the day use dock not too far from the dam and only 10' away from the dock. I had gone out a little further but the ice was too thin, you know...cracking under my feet.  Honestly though, all along the shore line within 10-15' should be okay. Just drill test holes as you go. 5 turns of my hand auger got me about 3" of ice any less than that I don't fish it.

Oh, by the way, the way I catch 'em is yellow marshmallows and a small piece of 'crawler on a small ice fly. I had really good luck today w/ that combo. But be ready, there where some pretty hard hits. I was using my jigger totter rod holders and the tips of the rods where buried in the holes at times.

Good luck,have fun and be safe, Hogger

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 27, 2010, 09:10 PM »
 I think i am heading up tomorrow. Anyone in? Or is anyone else heading up?

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 27, 2010, 11:15 PM »
Great news about the trout, Rob!  For you guys heading out early like this, seriously buy, or make, a spud.  A spud is nothing more than a chisel with a 5.5' pipe handle....a great tool for checking the ice.

Jim

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2010, 12:50 AM »
an early ice must. wouldnt go out on the ice without one!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.