Author Topic: old school suitcase shanty.  (Read 7949 times)

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: old school suitcase shanty.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 11, 2020, 04:58 PM »
Frabill Refuge was the one I had, no longer made but wasn't that long ago they were still being sold. I admit the floor was nice, and while it doesn't have the size of my hub, setup wasn't that much more time or effort.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 11, 2020, 05:04 PM »
Chasing a house, or taking a ride is never a good time. I had a little 1 man Ins-Tent for a lot of years that had been a hand me down from my Dad. Great little fish house, but the one major design flaw was you HAD to set it up before you could anchor it, and the entire thing weighed maybe 10 pounds. I had it get away from me several times.

The last time the framework got all bent up, so that was pretty much the death of it. I forgot anchors on a really windy day one time, too, stupidly decided to fish anyway, and ended up taking a ride about halfway across a little 30 acre lake.  :'(

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 11, 2020, 06:23 PM »
Good morning all,

It was easy to fish with a couple kids, or on really great days, with my wife and I. That shanty had four holes in the floor and room to fish them all at once. It is regrettably no more, and my sons are grown. My wife and I, however are expecting another in February.

2 sons raised and gone, and a brand new one on the way. YOU BE THE MAN!!!

Offline tautog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 11, 2020, 09:37 PM »
I love my shappell dx3000, it’s light, rugged, large enough for 2 people, easily set up, and very reasonably used considering hub style shacks are all the rage.  One tip is that there are no tie down provisions but you can easily add an anchor in each corner by drilling a hole in the plastic floor.

Offline NEWLEE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then catch 'em
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2020, 08:57 AM »
I sold my clam 2000 to my bud with a extra cover.i should of kept it but got many years out of it.in my younger days it was known as the clam baker 2000.lol.

Still have my first shelter, Clam 2000. Haven't used it in years but always liked that it had a floor. lol.

Offline pawaide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2020, 09:28 AM »

And if your wife is anything like all other women, I highly doubt she’s going to want to sit in an ice shanty and take care of a newborn all day while you ice fish lol.  :tipup:
[/quote]

I assure you two things Sir.
1. My wife is not at all like any other woman. I am richly blessed in this regard. I am at work at the moment. She is out deer hunting without me...... seven months pregnant.
2. She would be more likely to outfish me, in between taking care of a baby. lol

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2020, 10:14 AM »
I guess I have to ask, why a suitcase shanty.  They make some real nice flip overs that have lots of room for two.  And, benches big enough to put seats with backs on them, on the side and a baby seat in the middle.  Then you would have the tub for all of your gear.  Personally, I wouldn't even consider a suitcase, it would be a flip over for me.  But to each his own, if you heart is stuck on a suitcase, you should get it.  Anyone who raised two kids who are grown and has one on the way, YOU DESERVE IT!  That in itself would have most of us on suicide watch!!!

Well, here's why my fishing buddy and I both own 'em: Enough room to stand straight up, move around a bit, (Which I need to do after 3 spinal surgeries) plenty of room for gear, nice floor with the carpet on it allows you to wear a light boot or whatever, my feet never got cold in there. Big enough for two holes for each of ya. Pulls We both used full size high-back padded lawn chairs witgh plenty of room for 'em. Great on ice, drop down skiis made it slick in the snow, with bottom molded to fit 5 gal buckets of yer gear when flipped and towing......this was the Shappell DX 4000, remember. I still don't like the cramped flip overs or hub style. When you go by yourself, it was like a little friggin' cabin! That's my reason.  ;)

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2020, 11:20 AM »
The raised, carpeted floor is why I like them, too. I had severe frostbite on my feet about 20 years ago, so they have gotten cold really easy ever since, but I hate wearing big, clunky boots, too. I can be fine with normal winter boots in the DX. I'll never own a fish house that doesn't have hard floor again. I also put a little chunk of 3/4" foam under my feet, so between that and the floor they never get cold.

The standing is another perk, same as you said. My knees and one ankle are shot, so I need to stand and move around a bit once in a while, too. I'm 6'3" and can almost stand up straight in there right beside the roof bows.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2020, 11:28 AM »
Those are some of the reasons I had when first purchasing a suitcase. One of the best shanties I ever had. Still in the family. To the op: Good luck to you and the misses with the arrival of the caboose.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2020, 12:09 PM »
That's why your location is nice to have in your avatar... ::)

Agree Rebelss, I've got 1 that's been sitting in my shed, untouched for probably the last 14 years , that I could give him. (or trade for provisions)  ;)

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2020, 12:12 PM »
Well, here's why my fishing buddy and I both own 'em: Enough room to stand straight up, move around a bit, (Which I need to do after 3 spinal surgeries) plenty of room for gear, nice floor with the carpet on it allows you to wear a light boot or whatever, my feet never got cold in there. Big enough for two holes for each of ya. Pulls We both used full size high-back padded lawn chairs witgh plenty of room for 'em. Great on ice, drop down skiis made it slick in the snow, with bottom molded to fit 5 gal buckets of yer gear when flipped and towing......this was the Shappell DX 4000, remember. I still don't like the cramped flip overs or hub style. When you go by yourself, it was like a little friggin' cabin! That's my reason.  ;)

Also, loved the video! Brought back some memories & nice pike to be hand lining  ;D

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 12, 2020, 01:46 PM »
Hmm... Otter1200.. 7.5'x5.5'... no floor... $849+ 

Shappell DX4000 7.5'x5' with a carpeted floor... 30 pounds lighter... $399

I'm not a mathematician, but the area Otter is not that much bigger, and there used to be considerably larger suitcases than the DX4000. I don't remember the model, but my uncle had a humongous Frabill suitcase back in the day that was like 6 or 8 man. Heavy as all getout, but incredibly roomy.

I think I'd perfectly content with my decision not to drop an extra 5 bills when comparing the two.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 12, 2020, 02:23 PM »
I've never had a problem with gear getting wet on mine. I go pretty light on equipment though, since I walk my ice. I don't use bungees, either. Everything I bring fits in 2 buckets that fit in those bucket slots on the topside of the case, and I tuck my auger between the buckets. The only time it has ever been an issue is going up/down a really steep incline, because the buckets will tip if you are going too fast.

I would guess hubs killed the suitcase more than flips did. They flooded the market as a lighter, cheaper pricepoint rig, which was sorta the suitcase's bread and butter before the hub came around.

I like flips, but the lack of integrated flooring and higher price are dealbreakers for me.

I can't understand how hubs took over, though. I had one and despised it... used it about 3 or 4 times and got rid of it.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 13, 2020, 04:41 AM »
I'm definitely buying a dlx soon, really wish they would make a insulated version,  I have a clam 2000 that's ok, in the fall I put a ozonics machine in it and store my hunting clothes in there to keep everything scent free

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #44 on: Dec 13, 2020, 10:42 AM »
I still have my dx3000.
Frank's great outdoors has the dx4000 on sale today only.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 13, 2020, 11:37 AM »
I have a polar pal 2 rover 1.0s a s2000 s3000 and a s4000
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #46 on: Dec 13, 2020, 11:56 AM »
I had a Viking brand, had a little velcro fish door on the back side  :)... Sold it years ago to a good friend after I pulled the trigger on an one man flip. After reading through this post though I'm kinda nostalgic bout all the good times had early on in my addiction, and now with the knowledge of the Smitty sled perhaps I'll re-invest,
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 13, 2020, 12:05 PM »
I have fond memories of fishing out of my Clam 2000.  One of my favorite is when my young son, maybe 7 years old took a short ride when the wind kicked up.  I had stepped out of the shanty to check a tip up when a wind gust hit.  My back was to the shanty and I heard "Dad....I'm sliding away".  I ran over and was able to grab the shanty after it slid around 10'.  My son was new to ice fishing but he said when he saw the holes moving he knew something wasn't right.  He actually wrote a short story about his adventure on the ice for school.  Those were good times.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #48 on: Dec 13, 2020, 01:56 PM »
I had a Viking brand, had a little velcro fish door on the back side  :)... Sold it years ago to a good friend after I pulled the trigger on an one man flip. After reading through this post though I'm kinda nostalgic bout all the good times had early on in my addiction, and now with the knowledge of the Smitty sled perhaps I'll re-invest,

If you get one, the Dx4000 has built-in skis. Easy to lose a ski pin moving it opened, so keep spares.

Drill holes in each corner for ice anchors with washers. Throw the pull rope over one while setting up. I put my cabelas sled on top of the dx3000 to pull the loose items on top.
I made wind bars to keep the walls from pushing in and used extra roof bows. You could use a length of refletx over the roof bows to lower condensation and save fuel.
Use some chapstick or similar on the support pole joints to help freezing for easier take down.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 13, 2020, 02:33 PM »
I have a couple extra roof bows for my DX3000 too. I found if it is snowing much, the roof wants to sag in spots with just 2 bows, then water drips in after a while. With 4 bows, it's never an issue.

Offline tautog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 13, 2020, 09:54 PM »
I guess its all what you want.  But, apparently you haven't seen the newer flip overs.  They "are" big enough to stand up in, have way more room then "any" suitcase shanty, have tubs big enough for your lawn chairs, heaters, rods, reels, buckets, auger, etc.etc.etc..   I have been on fishing trips with everything bungeed to the top of a suitcase, what a joke!  And, are you ready for it, flip overs have tubs to keep your gear from getting wet and nasty when going through slush or when pulling them behind a sled.  Even more so if you put a cover over them.  They also have add-ons like; shelves, floor mats, lights, counsels, and many other great conveniences.  I was in one yesterday, Otter Pro XT1200 resort 3 man, that had a tub that was 8ft long and three foot wide.  More then enough room for two people to sit next to each other, both fishing out of two holes.  Heck, this things has three seats in it.  That are removeable, I might add!   I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, If you like the suitcase type, buy one and use it.  "Personally" I would go with the tub!
And yet for more than twice the price and more than twice the weight and far more complexity you feet and gear are still in the slop unless they are in the huge “tub” which unlike the shappell suitcases are almost impossible to pull by hand, cool story that you love your flip overs but there are still people that appreciate a suitcase, isn’t that crazy?

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 13, 2020, 10:04 PM »
And yet for more than twice the price and more than twice the weight and far more complexity you feet and gear are still in the slop unless they are in the huge “tub” which unlike the shappell suitcases are almost impossible to pull by hand, cool story that you love your flip overs but there are still people that appreciate a suitcase, isn’t that crazy?

I've owned both and with kids I'll take a suitcase any day of wait I have 3 of them.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 13, 2020, 10:10 PM »
Crazy is spending $100 more for a shack that weighs 3x as much as a hub with half the fishable space with limited hole configuration just to have a floor. The hubs have the same head room as well.

I was comparing the Shappell DX4000 vs Eskimo fat fish 949i.

My last memory of the suitcase style shack was I think a frabill of some sort that seemed to weigh a ton and pulled like a nightmare and could still only first 2 people. Glad we got rid of that thing and I'll never own another one.

To each their own I guess. I mean, it could be worse, you could be hauling them to the ice with a Ford!

Offline tautog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 13, 2020, 11:34 PM »
Crazy is spending $100 more for a shack that weighs 3x as much as a hub with half the fishable space with limited hole configuration just to have a floor. The hubs have the same head room as well.

I was comparing the Shappell DX4000 vs Eskimo fat fish 949i.

My last memory of the suitcase style shack was I think a frabill of some sort that seemed to weigh a ton and pulled like a nightmare and could still only first 2 people. Glad we got rid of that thing and I'll never own another one.

To each their own I guess. I mean, it could be worse, you could be hauling them to the ice with a Ford!
The 949i is 44 pounds, the dx4000 is 76 pounds, with a floor, is that three times the size????
So the Eskimo flatfish 949i is 44 pounds, and the the shappell dx4000 is 74 pounds, yup that is three times the weight lol
And the 949 fishable space is

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #54 on: Dec 14, 2020, 09:29 AM »
To each his own, but here's where I see the difference lies: The suitcase style was originally one of the first portable shacks on the market, when the run'n gun style with the all the electronics and lithium powered drill augers wasn't even thought of yet. Heck, the basic Jiffy white lightning was the standard auger around, and the early Vexie's and LXi's handhelds was the going thing. They stayed around, because they found a niche...the guys like me, who are now  25 yrs older, and don't/can't/don't like to do the running and gunning. They were never made to be towed behind a snowmobile or for long distances in the first place; just basically the short hops or as we did, the drop'n pop........right out of the back of a truck on the ice. We drug mine short distances around to the reservoirs here, which worked great, and our other spots were 125 miles away, where we drive on the lake to our spot and drop it out of the back of the pickup. Slid and fit right in perfect on a full size box PU, with gear underneath, because it sat on top of the wheel wells. Buddy drilled while I set it up, ready to fish in 10 minutes. We weren't in a huge, rush around hurry. We knew our spots/best areas, as we usually fished those in the boat all Summer and Fall. We would scan thru the ice before we drilled our spots of course, but then it was down and fish away for the day. Cook up some grub over the modified rack on the Buddy heater.
(I think Bart has some good pics of that) In the rare case of no action, it wasn't a big deal to pull it to another spot on the ice. That's how I see the differences; everyone has their own way of fishing and enjoying it most. A lot depends on how and what you started the sport out with. Ya, I used to tourney fish on open water, flying from here to there in my boat, now it's feet up, cold drink, and enjoy the day on the water...and we always come home with a nice catch. And ya know what? I enjoy this more. Like the old 70's Yamaha slogan, "Different strokes for different folks".  That's my .02    :)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 14, 2020, 09:41 AM »
To each his own, but here's where I see the difference lies: The suitcase style was originally one of the first portable shacks on the market, when the run'n gun style with the all the electronics and lithium powered drill augers wasn't even thought of yet. Heck, the basic Jiffy white lightning was the standard auger around, and the early Vexie's and LXi's handhelds was the going thing. They stayed around, because they found a niche...the guys like me, who are now  25 yrs older, and aren't interested in running and gunning. They were never made to be towed behind a snowmobile of for long distances in the first place; just basically the short hops or as we did, the drop'n pop........right out of the back of a truck on the ice. We drug mine short distances around to the reservoirs here, which worked great, and our other spots were 125 miles away, where we drive on the lake to our spot and drop it out of the back of the pickup. Slid and fit right in perfect on a full size box PU, with gear underneath, because it sat on top of the wheel wells. Buddy drilled while I set it up, ready to fish in 10 minutes. We weren't in a huge, rush around hurry. We knew our spots/best areas, as we usually fished those in the boat all Summer and Fall. We would scan thru the ice before we drilled our spots of course, but then it was down and fish away for the day. Cook up some grub over the modified rack on the Buddy heater.
(I think Bart has some good pics of that) In the rare case of no action, it wasn't a big deal to pull it to another spot on the ice. That's how I see the differences; everyone has their own way of fishing and enjoying it most. Ya, I used to tourney fish on opne water, flying from here to there in my boat, now it's feet up, cold drink, and enjoy the day on the water...and we always come home with a nice catch.
Like the old 70's Yamaha slogan, "Different strokes for different folks".  That's my .02    :)

That's a good point. I guess I do my ice fishing pretty old school... minimal movement, no fancy powered equipment or electronics. I puddle hop little ponds that I've done my homework on in the open water season.  I'd rather sit and catch fish than chase them around all day on a bigger lake. Plus, around here when we do get ice, everyone tends to run up north, or beats the crap out of the bigger water at the state and county parks, so a lot of the ponds I hit see little to no pressure in the winter, which is always a perk. I like the peace and quiet better than a crowd.

There's about a half dozen little puddles I do my fishing on, and a lot of winters, my holes are the only ones there on most of them. Why walk a mile when I can set up 100-200 yards from my parked car and catch fish? That's been my general ice fishing philosophy for the past several years, and it usually works out pretty well for me.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 14, 2020, 02:17 PM »
I love my suitcase shacks. My next shack will be a bay runner. I have 2 1 man flip overs Rover 1.0's love them also but still nothing better than the carpeted floor in suitcase shack

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.