The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Heater for hut.  (Read 1400 times)

Offline coldoutside

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heater for hut.
« on: Nov 30, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Getting older and want a heater for my hut. What is the best heater to buy? thanks

Offline Sandalsnsocks

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Heater for hut.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2018, 12:55 PM »
Mr Heater heaters have been good to me, little buddy or big buddy
Easy does it.
Let them go so they can grow.

Offline edan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Buddy heater with the hose attachment so you can hook up a refillable half gallon bottle works great without the expense of the green disposable bottles

Online fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2018, 03:42 PM »
Depends on the size of shacks but I would go with the big buddy because you can always keep it turned down on low but if you need more heat you are out of luck but I use this in my camper to keep the heater from going all the time to save batteries but have 12 foot ceilings in camper and on low it stays just nice and the heater only comes on a few times for air movement. Also have the heating buddy and use it in the toy hauler part and can have it up to 70 degrees all night if you want to change from low to high a couple times.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2018, 03:48 PM »
I got a reconditioned big buddy heater from cabelas. They go for 79.99 as compared to the 150$ they are new. You can find the regular Buddy Heater at 69.99 but for the 10$ it is so worth it to get the big buddy. The big buddy has 3 heat settings and a fan to help send the heat forward instead of all rising. Both the buddy heater and big buddy heater are designed for indoor use and have safety shutoffs if the heater ever tips over or if the carbon monoxide levels get too high. I definitely recommend getting one of these (and you don't need the excuse of being old to enjoy comfort :) )

They do not always have these in stock but I just checked are they have at least one. So I suggest jumping on it for this price is hard to beat.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Mr-Heater-Reconditioned-Portable-Big-Buddy-Heater/1089658.uts?slotId=1
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:47 PM »
the mid sized one is the: Hunting Buddy by Mr. Heater.. I would get that or the Big Buddy.. Mr. Heater's are the way to go for sure!!
Marvin

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:31 AM »
the mid sized one is the: Hunting Buddy by Mr. Heater.. I would get that or the Big Buddy.. Mr. Heater's are the way to go for sure!!

The hunting buddy has both regular size and big hunting buddy size. the difference is it uses a battery to ignite so it is a more quiet option for when you are in a hunting blind and dont want the loud "click-ping" you get from the push button starter on the regular buddy heaters. But I agree, Mr Heater has it figured out.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Hegone47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2018, 11:12 AM »
    I have a Mr. Heater that goes out when your over 6,000 ft. Does anyone else have this problem?

Offline Wyldryd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:16 PM »
I recently went to a buddy heater myself.  I started with Cabelas branded stove/heater and worked well.  However there is only one setting and it’s hot!  It was nice to cook on, but then burned me out of the hut. 

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Buddy heater.   I got the regular buddy.  But now that I have a bigger hut this year I will have to see how it does.   May have to get some more btu's
Don

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:38 PM »
heater buddy, had ones for years. but use a 5# refillable tank. long burn time plus cheap to refill

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2018, 01:56 PM »
    I have a Mr. Heater that goes out when your over 6,000 ft. Does anyone else have this problem?

Are you in a hut? I know they have an emergency shutoff when O2 levels are not high enough or CO levels are too high (not totally sure on the mechanism). At 6000+ft elevation, there will be less O2 to begin with, and in a hut you will be using it up and so will the heater. So if in a hut, be sure to have proper ventilation. I haven't had the issue myself but I have heard of others coming across troubles with it staying lit.

Offline notonmywatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2018, 12:16 AM »
Go with a  grill sized propane tank with triple heads.  You can sit in your t shirt in the hut, heaven.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2018, 01:07 AM »
mr heater brand is the safest and cleanest to use.
 i've used a few brands and styles and still have the ones i quit using. the ceramic plates on the mr heaters burn off the gas the best and i am allergic to smoke and exhaust so it matters a lot to me while others can't smell fumes on other brand heaters like coleman. that's what i get for smoking for 33 years worth of 2 packs a day of kools.
they get a little stinky when the one pound bottle is almost empty. many of us have started using the flame king refillable one pound tank system. cheapest is at meanards. always fill them out side.

Offline Wyohandscold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:30 AM »
I haven’t had a shanty in 12 year but just picked one up. I used a lantern back then and it would really warm the place up quickly. That was in an un-insulated shack. It’s nice because you get light along with heat. Do any of you use them anymore?

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:50 AM »
i had a large propane colman lantern for a while. it does produce heat that would probably be enough in an insulated hut, but its nothing like the heat a buddy heater provides. i was always worried that it was too bright for the fish, but who knows

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.