The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wyoming Hard water  (Read 2572 times)

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
Wyoming Hard water
« on: Nov 05, 2018, 09:39 PM »
New to this page and new to ice fishing in Wyoming. 23 years old, grew up in Minnesota, however have lived in Wyoming for about 10 years. With that said I’ve spent all my ice time in Minnesota. Just purchased a house and auger and a few rod/reels  this past weekend and can’t wait to get out. I live in Saratoga and am just looking for information on ice fishing in Wyoming. I don’t want your secret spots but any lakes that produce a few fish, maybe a buddy to go out with, or any info a fellow fisher would share. Look forward to meeting some people and getting lines tight together! Tight lines everyone, stay safe!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wyoming Hard water
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2018, 09:52 PM »
Good to see you made it over to the sight! I don't have any info on your area, I do travel around a lot. Game and Fish has a map that shows what is stocked and is a good resource. Seminoe is close should you want to chase a walleye and the trout will keep you busy. The sight should start getting wound up in a couple weeks. I mostly fish Keyhole and I would say it's always worth the drive as long as the weather does get you stranded. I remember said that you don't have much experience fishing trout but trout through the ice are great and willing to play. Most of the time they are aggressive and will hit about anything. Close to you there is a ton of good water. One of my favorite things to chase are kokanee because they are great eating and good fighting but hard to catch. Be safe and have fun!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:00 PM »
I hope to make a trip to keyhole I’ve read a lot of good reports on the lake! To be honest I just want to get out on the ice and hopefully my fiancé likes getting out too! It’s a whole new ball game for me this year chasing trout although I’m excited. My brother and I fished a lot in Minnesota but no trout. Hope to put a couple walleye or perch in the freezer this year! The temps have me excited for early ice. Any suggestions as to lures for trout? I picked up 2 rod reel combos and will get another 2 for in the house. Then a couple tip ups but not sure what to rig them with, and not break the bank either.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:12 PM »
I like spoons and jigging raps. Most of the time I don't tip them. Trout will eat about anything so a dead rod right next to a jigged rod will catch a lot of fish. I use small jigs tip with worm/wax worms/ spikes/ power bait. Trout feed up so stay just above them. Sometime they will hug the bottom. A lot of the time tour will be just under the ice so don't forget to try there.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:17 PM »
FYI after you have 3 post you can access the lake reports which will help as time goes on. I think there is an archive page which should help find places to go and give and idea of what to expect.

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:23 PM »
Thank you for your help sir I appreciate it!

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:40 PM »
Welcome aboard W8NonICE ;D Gonna find a lot of info right here. appleye is dead-on with the Siminoe suggestion and of course the Laramie Plains Lakes would be a do-able day trip for ya too. Diamond is even a shorter distance and the Game and Fish report has been pretty optimistic about it. I've not been there since the '70s and am unsure about current regs regarding it but would be something to look into. Most of my tip-up experience is with minnows but they're not permitted in most of the lakes in your area. Pathfinder and Alcova are good options fairly close to you too and minnows are allowed there. They both support Walleye populations. Not sure how to access last years posts in reports and conditions but if you can get them there will be a lot of great info there! Have a great season and be safe ;D

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:53 PM »
reelrusty thank you! I am more optimistic about Saratoga lake after reading what guys have posted about the derby over here! Hopefully be able to find a fish or two! I have looked at the Laramie Plaines lakes and hopefully get over there. Where is Diamond? I haven’t heard of that. A buddy of mine has fished alcove and pathfinder and has had luck, however said the ice can change all the time. I’ve got that itch to hook up! If you guys come down for the derby I’d love to meet you guys and swap fish stories!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2018, 02:29 PM »
Welcome to the site and the state! You'll learn that us wyomingites are willing to travel to fish. We have to travel for everything so it's commonplace for us!

The majority of the state are trout waters, and also the majority of the water are reservoirs. So just be mindful of the fact that there are river and creek channels which can create thin ice in spots. Same with the wind!

There's plenty of info on ice fishing trout but theres typically not much of a science to it. Find a point. Drill holes from 6-20 fow and fish away. Whites and bright colors are typically best for me. Various sizes of plastics on a jig head and tipped with a night crawler or meal worm will catch fish. Good luck!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2018, 03:05 PM »
I believe the Admins deleted that requirement last season because newbies were flooding the forums with 1st, 2nd, 3rd posts with nothing in them but a dot or something, then just hitting the R&C boards.

FYI after you have 3 post you can access the lake reports which will help as time goes on. I think there is an archive page which should help find places to go and give and idea of what to expect.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2018, 03:06 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty! You can place your locale in your profile so others can see where you're from and the regions you may be interested in.  :tipup:

New to this page and new to ice fishing in Wyoming. 23 years old, grew up in Minnesota, however have lived in Wyoming for about 10 years. With that said I’ve spent all my ice time in Minnesota. Just purchased a house and auger and a few rod/reels  this past weekend and can’t wait to get out. I live in Saratoga and am just looking for information on ice fishing in Wyoming. I don’t want your secret spots but any lakes that produce a few fish, maybe a buddy to go out with, or any info a fellow fisher would share. Look forward to meeting some people and getting lines tight together! Tight lines everyone, stay safe!

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Saratoga Tourney is a blast. Good prizes too. High Savery Res is not bad for trout. Appleye pointed out good areas. Your close enough for some Lakers at flaming gorge. Medicine bow pond has some good trout. There are a few ponds you find out from locals. Wheatland 3 is defiantly worth the drive.
No one left behind.     

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2018, 07:38 PM »
Thanks for that info! Walked out on the lake today right off shore! I’m doing my research and may try to find a high country lake for next weekend but I also know there’s a lot of ice time ahead of us so I won’t rush anything! Looking forward to making a few trips and hopefully will meet some of you at the Saratoga Derby

Offline Donniet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Yes sir high Savery is a blast

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2018, 06:53 PM »
I am looking forward to goin to savery. Got out on Saratoga lake this weekend and caught a few so that was fun! Ready for a good season though! Tight lines and stay safe to everyone!

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:03 PM »
High Savery is good, lots of tiger trout which are a cool fish, but access can be tough at times due to wind caused snow drifts. Keyhole is my favorite as it is the only lake in Wyoming with state approved northern pike and northerns are my favorite ice fishing species. Tough to beat the fight and a fair amount of nicer sized pike to be caught. Way to liberal regulations on the pike though.

Offline kaydo59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Another good lake that's a few hours away is Flaming Gorge. Looks of trout. It's got some ice on it now. Good rainbow and Laker fishing. You need a fish finder for lake trout they come in all over the water collum. 3" jig with a chunk of sucker for Lakers.

Offline ND_Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2018, 05:30 PM »
High Savery is good, lots of tiger trout which are a cool fish, but access can be tough at times due to wind caused snow drifts. Keyhole is my favorite as it is the only lake in Wyoming with state approved northern pike and northerns are my favorite ice fishing species. Tough to beat the fight and a fair amount of nicer sized pike to be caught. Way to liberal regulations on the pike though.

Go to ND and fish northerns. There are so many because no one keeps them. You will catch so many you will get tired of catching them.

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:02 PM »
ND_outdoorsman no offense but I don’t think I could get tired of catching northern up there!! I’m used to Minnesota and we had a few lakes we could do extremely well on. I’ve been out a decent amount and just love being on the ice! If anyone is ever over fishing Saratoga Lake (I know it’s not a huge hot spot) but I’ve been doin my research and I’d love to fish with someone else! Minus the derby I’ll be tryin to win that my self :)  tight lines y’all if anyone needs a fishing buddy let me know! Got my own stuff so just need the invite out!

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:51 PM »
ND Outdoorsman; Keyhole has a fair population of 20lb and bigger northerns. If you get tired of those size fish, I question your opinion. Hammer handle northerns are a different animal. Plus I prefer to eat northerns over everyone's over rated and beloved walleyes. Plus walleyes don't fight worth a darn, I've caught a fair amount of walleyes over 10 lbs and a 2 lb trout will outfight them. A double digit northern is a very strong fish. You are more than welcome to continue fishing North Dakota, I'll stay in Wyoming for big pike.

Offline ND_Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:43 AM »
ND Outdoorsman; Keyhole has a fair population of 20lb and bigger northerns. If you get tired of those size fish, I question your opinion. Hammer handle northerns are a different animal. Plus I prefer to eat northerns over everyone's over rated and beloved walleyes. Plus walleyes don't fight worth a darn, I've caught a fair amount of walleyes over 10 lbs and a 2 lb trout will outfight them. A double digit northern is a very strong fish. You are more than welcome to continue fishing North Dakota, I'll stay in Wyoming for big pike.
I agree big pike are a blast to catch and if I could catch a 20lb pike every time out I would chase pike. How easy is it to catch 20lb pike in Keyhole? There are 20lb pike in ND but finding them most of the time is difficult unless it is spring time. What I am talking about is catching 2-4 lb northerns that tangle up all your lines in the house and them bite off your expensive fishing lures. I would like to schedule a trip to Ft Peck or Canyon Ferry in MT to catch some monster northerns. I have also seen alot of lakes being stunted by small northern populations so I wish more people would keep them.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Man we need some more ice. Guys are arguing about if you'd get tired of catching fish or not!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2018, 01:21 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.