The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: What's the best Ice suit?  (Read 7771 times)

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
What's the best Ice suit?
« on: Nov 20, 2010, 11:32 AM »
Ive been looking for a decent ice suit and thought some of you guys may have some opinions you'd like to share.
I checked out the thread on the forum but wanted some advice from the fellas here in Wyoming

Offline BigBassLee

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What's the best Ice suit?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2010, 11:51 AM »
I bought the Arctic Armor this year.  I had the ice armor for the last 4 years.  It's not very warm for night time ice.  I went through the ice last year.  Late ice and I was alone.  Very difficult to get out.  The ice armor absorbed a lot of water quickly.  My friend suggested that I get this Arctic armor suit.  It is designed to float.  After seeing a news anchor woman purposely jump into 40 deg. water in minnesota, then float easily and stay warm,  I was sold.  My friend goes out in 50mph winds at 0 deg. f.  -30wind chill.  He said his arctic armor suit has never let him down.
Big Bass Lee

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Thanks Bigbass, seem's like most people like them for the added security the flotation provides-never a bad thing....

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2010, 12:56 PM »
I just got my second Arctic Armor suit and they are worth every penny. I got the one with floatation this time and they will keep you warm even in our Wyoming winds.
Wyohunter

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2010, 02:04 PM »
I just got my second Arctic Armor suit and they are worth every penny. I got the one with floatation this time and they will keep you warm even in our Wyoming winds.
Wyohunter
Do you have any problems with overheating or condensation? That seemed to be the most common complaint on the forum.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2010, 02:11 PM »
I am picking up 2 this year, one for me one for my wife
Don

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2010, 02:17 PM »
Have you had arctic armor before or some other suit-was just wondering.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2010, 02:20 PM »
I am just getting the idi artic armor suits.  I am sold on them!
Don

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Well, I guess it's going to be the idi suits...
Thanks for the info guys!!

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2010, 02:31 PM »
I have had my first arctic suit for about 4 years now with no problems. I usually wear a pair of sweats under it and stay warm enough that I can leave the top unfasted most days.

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2010, 05:39 PM »
I have had my first arctic suit for about 4 years now with no problems. I usually wear a pair of sweats under it and stay warm enough that I can leave the top unfasted most days.
I'm pretty sure that I'll get the arctic armor-the floatation kind of tips things that direction.
Hope to run into you this year do you fish the local lakes much?

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:35 AM »
I'm probably the exeption here, but I just purchased the Strikemaster bibs and parka. The whole set costs $279. Only downfall is that it doesn't float, but upside is it's very affordable and a well made product.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Thank's for the info doublehaul. saw some pretty good reports on the guide gear suits on the main forum.
they were saying it's a great suit for the money I think around 120.00$.
I'm still leaning Arctic armor way though.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2010, 03:58 PM »
This will be my second year with Arctic Armor.  I would buy it again in a heartbeat! The only drawback could be that they get pretty warm during heavy activity and don't breathe as well as some other fabrics, but that is their strong side - they don't let in the cold.  I found that I tried to layer on as much clothes as the old days and got too hot.  Now I know that I don't need that much under the Arctic Armor suit.

Last year, as I was mulling over what suit to get, as you are now, I thought to myself:  If I got something else and did go through the ice, there I would be, under the ice cold water, looking up at the underside of the ice thinking "I should have spent the extra few bucks to get a suit that floats"! 

By the way, I have no connection to Arctic Armor whatsoever, except that I am a happy Arctic Armor owner.

Good fishing guys,
Keith

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:49 PM »
Thanks for the info Kieth. The wife just saw your post and totally agreed on the under the ice cold water thing.
Sooooo apparently it's now been decided.LOL

Kieth, I was just wondering if theres much  fishing on the Niobrara I used to guide for whitetails and muleys south of Rushville but in all my time there I never saw any fish bigger than a minnow.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:13 PM »
i bought the blue/black ice armor suit this summer so i have not tried it out yet.  i asked on the dressing for ice fishing page about the blue/black suit.  i gave my fishing conditions, temps i fish in.  everyone said the blue black suit would be fine.  it fits really well and it seems very well built.  i was thinking about the artic armor for the floating part of it.  i have never put myself in a situation where i will need that and wont.  so i couldnt see spending the exta money.  just my opinion.

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:44 PM »
I plan on hitting Gray rocks a good bit this year as it's not to long a drive for me. I hear that the ice can be unpredictable up there. Having spent a while in the corps I'm a firm believer in the six P's.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:47 PM »
I just wear my summer gor tex rain gear, under armour and sweats under it and toasty... Don't float but can see spending another $300-$400 for something to wear just on ice.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:42 PM »
I just read my post from a number of years ago...pretty old school like a dinosaur! See below.
For me it starts with good long johns, wool pants and sweater and Carharrts.  Mickey mouse boots and a couple ski masks and mittens finish out the ensomble.
Thread killer

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Thanks for the info Kieth. The wife just saw your post and totally agreed on the under the ice cold water thing.
Sooooo apparently it's now been decided.LOL

Kieth, I was just wondering if theres much  fishing on the Niobrara I used to guide for whitetails and muleys south of Rushville but in all my time there I never saw any fish bigger than a minnow.

I haven't fished the Niobrara for a long, long time.  We used to catch some really nice rainbow and brown trout.  This was west of Box Butte Reservoir.  In those days there didn't seem to be much east of Box Butte except for suckers and chubs.  (By a long time, I'm thinking it was over thirty years ago).

Come on ice!

Keith

Offline Linganator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Whether you are wearing flotation or not, a set of picks that are easily accessible are really important if you are on questionable ice.  I had an opportunity to do some training as a vol fireman years ago, and the slap of cold water cannot be described on your physical strength, it flat took the wind outta me.    $10 = cheap insurance

Offline madmatt192

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2010, 03:14 PM »
I guess I don't make the kind of money for arctic armour, everything I have heard is it's the best. I opted for a set of guide gear bibs from sportsman guide for $70.  They seem well made, I guess time will tell how well they last.  I tried them out on the 4 wheeler for about 4 hours on sunday in the blizzard, I never got chilled, they were waterproof and windproof, and I liked the padded knees. They are a lot better than my old insulated carhartts.

Offline Xartharin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Money in de house
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2018, 04:19 AM »
I apologize for bumping this old thread...just my two cents...

I am in my 10th season on my Cabela's Guide wear. Still repels rain like it did when it was new. I went for the Bibs and the Parka to stay nice and dry. The only place you will ever get wet is down the front when you forget to zip it all the way up. When it is really cold I wear mine with a duofold long underwear, sweats, wool pants and then the Bibs on the bottom. Tee shirt, knit henley, sweatshirt and then fleece on top. I am talkin' about ice up weather now. You can then peel a layer as the day gets warmer. I just purchased a light weight pair of Frog Togs this year for the summer however. The Guide wear is just to warm. Don't forget something warm and dry for your head and feet. You can get mighty miserable with a cold wet head and cold wet feet.

Offline Quicsilver171

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2018, 06:17 PM »
I’ve had really good luck with the frabill bibs. Plenty warm but when I neal down in the wet ice me knee gets wet

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2018, 10:42 PM »
I apologize for bumping this old thread...just my two cents...

I am in my 10th season on my Cabela's Guide wear. Still repels rain like it did when it was new. I went for the Bibs and the Parka to stay nice and dry. The only place you will ever get wet is down the front when you forget to zip it all the way up. When it is really cold I wear mine with a duofold long underwear, sweats, wool pants and then the Bibs on the bottom. Tee shirt, knit henley, sweatshirt and then fleece on top. I am talkin' about ice up weather now. You can then peel a layer as the day gets warmer. I just purchased a light weight pair of Frog Togs this year for the summer however. The Guide wear is just to warm. Don't forget something warm and dry for your head and feet. You can get mighty miserable with a cold wet head and cold wet feet.

My Guidewear Xtreme suit has also been amazingly good.  No need to apologize for bumping a useful thread!

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2018, 05:00 AM »
I see this is a 2010 thread, striker has passed many of these brands, and that is the only suit I would even consider. Check out the newer threads, and it will be striker 5-1 !! I would not even consider a suit unless it floats, but to each his own!!

Offline brownb56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Is the striker suit a coast guard approved flotation device? Personally I like my frabil set because it is.
Teach a man to fish and he will have food for life, teach a woman to fish and he will be happy for life.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2018, 02:02 PM »
Is the striker suit a coast guard approved flotation device?

No.  From the FAQ at :

Are STRIKERICE suits Coast Guard approved?

No, they are not a PFD. The suits are designed to aid in keeping you afloat.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 13, 2018, 05:03 PM »
Is the striker suit a coast guard approved flotation device? Personally I like my frabil set because it is.
If you go in, either suit will keep you bobbing long enough to either get yourself out, or you’ll be dead from hypothermia before you sink, so that’s kind of a push. I really like my StrikerIce Hardwater suit, but that’s just my two cents worth.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2018, 05:08 PM »
, no , but the Mustang and I-float are , as stated hypothermia will come into play long before you sink , a spud in hand is also a great piece of equipment

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.