Author Topic: After your catch.. Fish recipes  (Read 36027 times)

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
After your catch.. Fish recipes
« on: Feb 07, 2012, 05:22 AM »
Lets see how everyone likes to make your fish "After your catch", Enjoy and lets see something to make us all HUNGRY!!!!!!

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: After your catch.. Fish recipes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:04 AM »
Slayer's chowder Perch Chowder......

13 fillet's of diced perch (1/2"x1/2" or so)
1/4 cup bacon bits
1/4 butter
1/2 onion
1/4 cup floor
salt and pepper too taste
1/2 tea spoon basal
4 cups milk
and 8 red pototoes cut into 4...

melt butter in pot, add onion, cook till onion is soft on low, don't want too burn the butter, add flour, salt, pepper, potatoes, gradually stir in milk and add fish on medium heat until it boils, you have too stir constantly so milk does not stick too bottom of pot, sauce will thicken, when it thickens, fish is flaking, and potatoes are soft your done....

Enjoy,
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline RedfishHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Guy Martin
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:19 AM »
Duck,  this recipe sounds good but I had a question...you put the potatoes and fish at the same time?

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:42 AM »
Yes, you cut the potatoes small enough it only takes 10 minutes simmering too get them soft,
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline RedfishHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Guy Martin
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Thanks Matt...this is going to be tomorrow night meal....

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2013, 01:58 PM »
Basic Grilled Trout

Rules

1. No guts make it home.  Clean fish and put on ice ASAP.  Easy in the Winter!  Entrails are good for the ecosystem.  Just don't clean 'em in shallow water or by the boat dock (unsightly).
2. No heads or tails make it to the pan (or grill).
3. No bones make it to the pan or the table (that includes pin bones come on don't be lazy).

Recipe

2 Large Boneless Trout Fillets (3+ lbs original fish weight), cool from the fridge.
3 TBSP Melted Butter
1 Lemon
Kosher Salt
Lawry's Lemon Pepper
Olive Oil Spray

Clean grill grates are imperative.
Preheat the grill to 500 deg F
While the grill is preheating prepare the fillets:

1. Spray the skin side with olive oil and place flesh side up.  Continue on the flesh side:
2. Apply kosher salt to taste.
3. Apply lemon pepper to taste.
4. Brush with melted butter
5. Spray with olive oil.

Once the grill is preheated, set for medium direct cooking.
Spray the grates with Weber Grill Spray.
Place the fillets at a 45 deg angle flesh side down.  Cook 4 minutes.
Carefully rotate the fillets 90 degrees.  Cook 4 more minutes.
Turn the fillets skin side down.  Cook 4-6 more minutes.  This is the side to adjust timing for your doneness preference.
Serve hot with lemon wedges.

With some practice and clean grates, this makes a beautiful presentation and beats foil or a fish basket.

Mom's favorite!

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:14 PM »
I grew up in the south and all fish was breaded in seasoned cornmeal and deepfried, I didn't know there was any other way of eating fish.  I caught a mess of perch the other day and was doing some messing around cooking them different ways to find a different way of cooking them.  I really liked one of the ways, I did not measure anything, because I rarely do, so here goes.

Ritz crackers smashed up really well
lemon pepper seasoning to taste
granulated garlic powder to taste
mix well

beaten eggs for an eggwash

flour seasoned with some creole seasoning, not much, just some.

dip fillets in flour, then into eggwash, then into crackers
I pan fried them with some olive oil and a little butter turning them once and letting them get browned on both sides.

You can taste a little lemon from the lemon pepper, I really enjoyed those perch cooked this way.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:05 AM »
Basic Grilled Trout

Rules

1. No guts make it home.  Clean fish and put on ice ASAP.  Easy in the Winter!  Entrails are good for the ecosystem.  Just don't clean 'em in shallow water or by the boat dock (unsightly).
2. No heads or tails make it to the pan (or grill).
3. No bones make it to the pan or the table (that includes pin bones come on don't be lazy).

Recipe

1 Large Boneless Trout Fillet (3+ lbs original fish weight), cool from the fridge.
3 TBSP Melted Butter
1 Lemon
Kosher Salt
Lawry's Lemon Pepper
Olive Oil Spray

Clean grill grates are imperative.
Preheat the grill to 500 deg F
While the grill is preheating prepare the fillet:

1. Spray the skin side with olive oil and place flesh side up.  Continue on the flesh side:
2. Apply kosher salt to taste.
3. Apply lemon pepper to taste.
4. Brush with melted butter
5. Spray with olive oil.

Once the grill is preheated, set for medium direct cooking.
Spray the grates with Weber Grill Spray.
Place the fillet at a 45 deg angle flesh side down.  Cook 4 minutes.
Carefully rotate the fillet 90 degrees.  Cook 4 more minutes.
Turn the fillet skin side down.  Cook 4-6 more minutes.  This is the side to adjust timing for your doneness preference.
Serve hot with lemon wedges.

With some practice and clean grates, this makes a beautiful presentation and beats foil or a fish basket.

I'll see if I can't get some pics next time we do this.  Mom's favorite!

That sounds pretty good !

WS

Offline clearwaterice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:40 AM »
Hello fellow spudheads. I just found this site. I enjoy all of your recipes. I usually swing flies for steelies all winter but I've got a great urge to get back on the ice. Winchester is the target next week. It's a trout tourney but I would not mind being a successful perchjerker and bring home a mess of them. I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2013, 07:38 PM »
We make fish tacos:

Filet and deep fry your perch as you like.

Warm up your favorite tortillas in the microwave (Fresh corn is the best if you ask me)

Prepare Chiptle mayo with Mayo,canned  chipotle (If you don't know how hot a chipotle is, use part of 1 pepper to start. A can is enough to kill a guy)

Dress angel hair shredded cabbage with chipotle mayo.

Make a taco with 1-2 filets, chiptotle cabbage, and a squeeze of lime  lime, Add salsa, hot sauce etc. to taste.

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:03 AM »
Had my eye on these recipes for a bit now.  Can't wait to try all of them here soon.

Thanks

Offline Bigggcountry

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm not a man prone to sharing my secrets.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2013, 01:36 PM »
Perch Butter

1 can sweetened condensed milk   
1/2 cup vinegar   
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp cayenne pepper   
1 tsp paprika (smoked)
2 cups Miracle Whip Salad Dressing

I make this spread when making perch sandwiches. Make sure you toast the buns. Cook the perch fillets however you like. I prefer to deep fry em.  Even my picky kids love it.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:32 PM »
Basic Fried Trout

One of my very favorite foods since I can remember.  In my effort to do the best job possible it appears that I have overdone it with the pictures.  I hope that's OK.

Rules

2. No heads or tails make it to the pan.

Recipe

Boneless Trout Fillets, fresh or completely thawed, skin on
Iodized Table Salt
Lawry's Lemon Pepper
Yellow Corn Meal
Hard White Whole Wheat Flour
Olive Oil
Fresh Lemon

Before cooking the fish, get the rest of the meal ready to eat and the table set, so that the fish can be eaten hot.

1. Prepare a heat-resistant plate with two paper towels on it.  Set aside with a third paper towel.
2. Slice the lemon into wedges.
3. Salt and pepper the fillets to taste.

4. Mix equal parts flour and corn meal.  If unsure how much to use, 1/4c of each should be plenty.
5. Dredge the fillets in the corn meal / flour mix until well coated.

6. Preheat oil in a non-stick pan at medium-high heat.  If using an electric griddle, set to 400 deg F.  Preheat until the oil just begins to smoke.
7. Cook fillets skin side up until the skin starts to bubble and/or the flesh is lightly browned.

8. Turn fillets skin side down and cook until the skin browns.

9. Turn fillets skin side up and cook to brown the flesh side just a little more.  This will freshen and seal the crispiness of the flesh side.

Perform the following steps promptly:

10. Remove each fillet and place it skin side down on the prepared plate. 
11. As each fillet is removed, use the third paper towel to quickly blot the flesh side, to remove any extra oil or juices.

12. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.  Fish will stay at optimal crispiness for a few minutes.

Notes

Fish is cooked when the flesh is opaque.  This method can somewhat overcook the fish, but leaving the skin attached helps retain moisture.  I love crisp on the outside and moist on the inside.

While the skin and darker flesh are both edible, most of us peel off the skin and use a fork to scrape away the darker flesh on the back side, just before eating.

Offline Zolar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2014, 06:51 PM »

Offline donnie2guns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2014, 10:21 PM »
Boiled some perch fillets in salted water until they started to flake. Dipped in garlic butter and also sriracha sauce. Very good! Quick, simple, poor mans lobster! 
No signature required

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:48 PM »
Anyone got a good recipes for CATFISH... kept one for my 3 year old son who wanted me too bring home a big fishy.... ;D
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2014, 04:30 AM »
Anyone got a good recipes for CATFISH... kept one for my 3 year old son who wanted me too bring home a big fishy.... ;D
Matt

Friday night fish fry's were almost always exclusively catfish filets on the Mississippi.

I usually use Zatarains southern style for the fry mix and use just a pure egg wash, oil at 375 and cook for 3-4 minutes depending on thickness.  I guess you could go as wild or mild as you want with the fry mix some folks mix their own and don't use the store bought stuff.

I've also poached (cooking method not illegal action ;) ) channel cats before in beer with spices in a pinch while camping, it was ok but frying seemed to be the best for them, man I miss those big bar fry's.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Zatarains southern style that's what I had in my camper, went out and brought it in the house and used that.... was great, we put them on a bed of rice with a side of sliced fried potatoes.... it was awesome...
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Zatarain's Southern Style is good stuff.  McCormick's isn't bad either and seems easier to find.

Offline elkhunter1834

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:35 PM »
I like Lousianna Fish Fry Cajan Style, There different one thats the one i prefer.

Offline gillis37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2014, 02:33 PM »
My family has a technique that they have been using since I can remember. My grandmother and my aunts soak catfish fillets in buttermilk overnight to remove the lactic acids in the meat that the catfish release when they are rolling and banging on the bottom during the catching of the catfish. This, in my personal opinion, makes a significant difference in the joy of eating catfish.

Matt

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:25 AM »
I made my third attempt at perch and corn chowder last night.  Made it entirely from scratch.  As it turns out, the third time is the charm.  Why didn't I write that recipe down!!!!!

Turned out really good.  Hope I can do it again.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Here's another one I like quite well.

Lightly sprinkle potlatch seasoning (or your favorite seafood seasoning) over white meat fish fillets (bass, perch, crappie, or bluegill all work well, probably any white fish would) on both sides.  Spread a thin coating of mayonaisse (about 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick) on top of fillets.  Bake at around 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until nearly done.  Remove from oven and drain off water that may (or may not) come out of the fish meat.  Then cover with thin slices of Sharp Cheddar, Provolone, or Swiss Cheese and broil until cheese is melted and bubbling.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:27 PM »
Duck-Slayer, tried the perch chowder and that was damn good  altered it a little left over's where even better, wish we got perch that size over in MT. thanks YUM YUM!!
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2016, 09:03 PM »
Ingredients from bottom to top:
Tortilla,Blew Cheese, perch, Avocado, lettuce, tomato, salsa, sharp cheddar.

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2016, 04:29 PM »
Does anyone have any way to cook farmed trout that makes them edible? I've tried smoking, frying, baking, grilling... Always the same result. Mushy, inedible, muddy taste. :(

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2016, 08:29 PM »
I cooked some from Horse thief in  beer batter. I de boned them and cut them into 1 inch pieces. I put them in the freezer.
I got the oil hot, dipped the frozen chunks in the beer batter, and deep fried them until golden brown. Trout was tasty and firm. 
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:15 PM »
my go to for trout salmon steelhead is as follows
clean and ice fish immediately, keep fish on ice and ABOVE water in cooler this allows meet to stay firm and flavorfull (it makes a huge difference)
fillet, skin, and completely debone
place fish single layer in a large ziplock freezer bag
garlic salt and pepper to your preference
place very thinly sliced lemons over fillets
cover lemon slices in thinly sliced evenly placed pads of butter, OR ad a sprinkling of olive oil, either option to your preference
cover all previous ingredients in a liberal amount of Fresh sprigs of dill
remove air as best you can and seal bag (this process also works wonderfully with seal a meal bags and can be done some time in advance)
fully submerge bag in simmering water time may vary, (i use the pinch test, when its firm its done)
cooking in the bag helps retain flavor and moisture producing wonderful succulent fish with a fantastic fresh taste 
if you carefully cut the top off the bag and slide the contents out you can maintain a relatively nice presentation as well

Offline Smellsfishy!

• IceShanty Rookie
Mushy trout (hugeinchina)
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Something to keep in mind is the time of year you are catching the fish. If the water is warmer the fish will start to eat moss, no matter what you do to the fish you will never get a great flavor out of the fish especially if your catching planters.. Try fishing before the temps get above 75 deg on the year for the keepers and I think you will find the fish taste much better. If you are going to keep fish above 80 deg temps you might want to start fishing for bass perch or crappy.  Personally I have found that frying them in lower heat and I use coconut oil to be the best way to cook Trout with any of the above methods from this great board. Another why I enjoy them is by filling them up with spices (I like lemon) cut up some onions and fresh garlic inserting the ingredient inside the trout and literally sowing up the cavity and barque them. (be careful not to overcook and keep the heat down).

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 25, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Apple Brined Smoked Trout

In about 1977 my Scoutmaster fed me some smoked trout from his homemade fridge smoker.  He used apple wood from the pruning of his own trees.  That started a lifelong interest in smoked trout.  This version has been a favorite in our family for a year or two.

Rules

2. No heads or tails make it to the smoker.
3. No bones make it to the smoker or the table (that includes pin bones come on don't be lazy).

Recipe

1 quart water
1/3 cup non-iodized table salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce (I like La Choy)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
12 oz. green hard cider, such as Hornsby’s Crisp or Angry Orchard Green
3-4 lbs. trout fillets

[Variation #1: Instead of 12 oz. cider, use 6 oz. cider and 6 oz. water]

1.  Mix the brine and refrigerate it until thoroughly cooled.

2. Use vertical cuts to divide the fillets into strips 1 or 2 inches wide.

3. Immerse all fish in the brine.  I recommend the Briner Jr.  Brine 7-8 hours in the fridge, stirring a few times during the brining process.  (This image shows the fish in the brine but not yet immersed.)

4. Remove fish from the brine.  Rinse each piece in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.  Place on lightly oiled smoker rack and let sit for an hour to form a good pellicle.

5. Smoke using your favorite smoker and methods.  Apple wood is strongly recommended for this recipe.

6. (Optional) Remove the skin and dark flesh from each piece.

Vacuum seal portions ASAP and store in the fridge or freezer.  Serve completely chilled.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.