Author Topic: What do you use for big crappies?  (Read 4101 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
What do you use for big crappies?
« on: Nov 30, 2004, 05:45 PM »
There is a lake in my area that has some huge crappies, and I will be hitting it a few times a week once the ice is safe because safe ice doesn't last long on this lake. I am wondering what do you guys use for big crappies?
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
Re: What do you use for big crappies?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2004, 07:43 PM »
Big rolls of TP

* Chucker ducks and runs!
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2004, 10:09 PM »
This will be the first winter I go for crappies through the ice, but I have found on open water that the same lures have caught all sizes of crappies - it just depends on where you are relative to the big fish.  My most consistent lures have been micro tubes (1" or so).

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2004, 01:33 PM »
TipDowns with 2" crappie minnows for bait (Emerald Shiners if you can get them are great) on a small glow treble hook #12 or smaller.  Best times are early morning before and during sunrise, and just before and after sunset.  A heavy overcast day can also be good all day long.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2004, 07:32 PM »
At one time I was a live minnow/bobber user. Now use silver jigging raps most of the time at night that I've added glow paint to the "V" tail and a minnow type attractant. Size #1 has become hard to find but #2s and #3s work. Can be strange at times, big bait little fish, small bait bigger fish. Raps and 1" tubes loaded with a fish attractant work well when running and gunning to find them during the day.

fisher35

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2004, 09:19 PM »
plain hook and minnow and a little bobber with spit shot

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2004, 11:39 AM »
A minnow and a splitshot about 6 inches up from the hook.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2004, 11:48 AM »
jigging rapalla with waxworms on the hook.  flashy spoons tipped with minnow head, or minnow.  if the rap doesnt work, i go to a hopkins shorty spoon, i prefer to tip the treble with minnow head, and work it agressively starting on the bottom, and work it up through the water column.
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Paradice

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2004, 01:38 PM »
a small plain hook and a minnow.  My brother would throw down glow in the dark this, rattle that, neon so and so, with a trailer hook and so on.  While he was tying and retying, i just pulled up one after another.   

just sayin...

A-BOMB guy

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2004, 10:38 PM »
If they are on, about anything will work. Most of the time if you mark 'em and cant catch 'em try a small jig or smaller ice fly. Don't let the size of the fish and the tiny lure fool ya. I caught my 2 largest crappie last year about 1 pm on a # 18 ice fly.
Bright sunny day , too. I guess its kinda like after a big meal you can't eat another bite, but that little mint always gets stuffed in your mouth. 

iceman480

« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2004, 01:30 PM »
I've had lol with A glow or red glow gem n eye tipped with either a small minnow or waxies.

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:53 PM »
Ill use 3 different baits on the line. I usually start out with a pole with 4 or 6 pound test.  Ill tie on 2 small jigs about 6 inches apart with a waxie and a minnow on them.  Then on the acxess line ill put on a sweetish pimple. I usually put either a minnow or a waxie on a hook.  Then if i find what they are biting on ill put that bait on a rod with 2 lb test on.
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.