Author Topic: walleye tips  (Read 4782 times)

Offline Braaap-n-Trap

• IceShanty Rookie
  • team dale ny
walleye tips
« on: Sep 22, 2010, 10:05 PM »
Im looking to get into walleye fishing this year you guys have any tips? What do you use for your set ups for both jigging and tip-ups?

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: walleye tips
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2010, 04:17 PM »
Jigging, I like to use a Jigging Rapala, or one of the knock offs.

For Tip ups, I usually use #8 pound Florocarbon with small treble hooks. (#10 or #12)
Then I add a bead or two, usually red or glow. (sometimes both)

You need smooth tipups.  IF Walleye feel any resistance, they are gone.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2010, 06:21 PM »
When jigging I use either jigging raps (or off brand) or buckshots usually tipped with a minnow or minnow head if they are being finicky. Basically same set up as wiener for the tip up. When fishing for eyes with tip ups, I always put it on the more sensitive trip setting if the wind allows it. The would still trip it on the less sensitive setting, but as wiener said the extra resistance could scare off the fish.

Offline Braaap-n-Trap

• IceShanty Rookie
  • team dale ny
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2010, 11:48 PM »
alright thanks alot guys im gona try those jiggin raps and try those setups on my tip ups and try to remember to set them light lol

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2010, 04:44 PM »
Hali's are one of my go too in the chartreuse or the fire red with walleye and perch. My other go to jig is KIT'S Glass Minnow . in the 1/8oz in fire tiger or perch. And this year I am going to try the drop shot rig with some gulp minnows and maybe a tube bait or two. I have never had luck on tip-ups with walleye. GREAT for pike.

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:35 PM »
for tipups i stick a light northern sucker minnow on a jb gemneye but i slide a #8 or 10 treble onto the splitring. 24-36 inch 10# floro leader with a splitshot at the swivel  connected to 20# mason tipup line all underneath a beaverdam tipup.. i only catch a few walleyes a year on the jigstick, it seems like everytime i get into jigging i get a flag, but when i do catch em its usually a 1/8 oz buckshot with minnowhead.
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:50 PM »
minnows on tip ups and buckshot for jigging.

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 01:09 AM »
I jig with a buckshot rattle spoon or walleye flyer most of the time. I fish them under a bobber about 95% of the time. Walleye can bite very light in the winter and with the float they sometime will bite at the lure for a few seconds before they actually have it inhaled enough to set the hook. The lure weight I use almost completely submerges the float so there is very little to no resistance as they inhale the bait.Using the float has probably increased my hookup ratio to almost 100%. The float in the pic is actually about 6 inches long.

I gotta chubby

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:39 PM »
I use
Heritage Laker Tip-ups with about 150 yards of braided nylon 50lb test line, with about a 5ft 10lb test mono leader.
A small number 5 splitshot
number 4 octopus hook
3-4" Hunts minnows
and have reflective tape on all tip-ups so they are easy to see when a flag is up AND so snowmobilers wont run them over.
Attach the splitshot 10-12" above the hook and connect the braid to the mono with a barrel swivel.

GOOD LUCK!

Offline unkymer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigan's Upper Peninsula
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2010, 02:56 PM »
I can't agree more with icontact. I also use a submerged bobber setup for walleye, frankly for every fish, but it's most important for walleye. I want as little resistance as possible and as a result I try not to use tip-ups if possible, as they just run off too many fish for my liking. I'd rather have jig rods set with submerged bobbers and hang them on a bucket. If I'm close enough to see the bobbers I'll just leave the bail open to free spool line. If not, I'll pull a couple of feet of line out and close the bail, and make sure there is enough wait in the bucket and the drag set right to "fight" the fish until I can reach it. That's just my preference and may not be shared by others, but it's how I've evolved to work walleye.

Offline bjones1984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:20 PM »
I can't agree more with icontact. I also use a submerged bobber setup for walleye, frankly for every fish, but it's most important for walleye. I want as little resistance as possible and as a result I try not to use tip-ups if possible, as they just run off too many fish for my liking. I'd rather have jig rods set with submerged bobbers and hang them on a bucket. If I'm close enough to see the bobbers I'll just leave the bail open to free spool line. If not, I'll pull a couple of feet of line out and close the bail, and make sure there is enough wait in the bucket and the drag set right to "fight" the fish until I can reach it. That's just my preference and may not be shared by others, but it's how I've evolved to work walleye.

whats the reasoning behind not using tip ups?

Offline HardWaterMachine31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:25 PM »
Hali's are one of my go too in the chartreuse or the fire red with walleye and perch. My other go to jig is KIT'S Glass Minnow . in the 1/8oz in fire tiger or perch. And this year I am going to try the drop shot rig with some gulp minnows and maybe a tube bait or two. I have never had luck on tip-ups with walleye. GREAT for pike.

I just recently caught a 24 incher on a hali and my super ultra light perch rod. Fought it for 10 minutes, it almost straightend out the hook! Do you know if they make heavier dutier chain? Other than that my main rig is a Z+3 teardrop in white (I'll get a pic up monday), tipped with a minnow head and constantly jigged. They always hit it on the fall and usually the next jig sets the hook. I dont use tip ups for lack of windows in my perm shanty. But I do use a set line. Its just a sinker tied with a palomar knot about a foot and a half above a small treble. I like bigger 3.5 to 5 inch greys. I pulled the sinker about 10 inches off the bottom and put a bobber on. The simpler it is to get off the better. I use an inline with a twist top so all i have to do is bump the top and start reeling to set the hook. I usually cut my bail and let them swim off a little bit before I nail them.

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Tip ups can have a bit or resistance depending on the one you used and when a walleye feels any thing that is off they will jet leaving your bait to rest. i have tried it a few times and noticed such action. they would like a bit of motion also. i have tried using the Windlass tip ups  with a light set up down hole and had little more luck but if there is no wind than back to the same ol. you also cant have any bagadge on your bait so using thin 8 pound test or lighter is a must. I have a needle i use and i thred my two octopus hooks through the center point of a minnow and attatch to a swivel about 2 feet above the bait. use a tiny green split shot right above the minnow and two up top and send it down. that has been my only luck with tip ups for walleye

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:16 PM »
i catch walleyes all the time with tipups. i put a sucker minnow on a jb gemenye with a treble hook on the split ring.. beaver dam tipups with 20 lb mason line and a 2 foot leader of 10 lb floro. couple a splitshot. as long as you take care of your beaver dams they wont be stiff. ive caught so many walleyes on this setup its not even funny. they swallow that minnow, hook and all and ive had them run for hours and hours before i set the hook...i left em out all night and woke up in the morning and they were still on there. so if you dont think walleyes can be caught succesfully on tipups, ive got about 100+ fish just last year that beg to differ.
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.