The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New VHS Regulations  (Read 7987 times)

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
New VHS Regulations
« on: Nov 02, 2007, 01:52 PM »
Anyone read about the new regs posted on the F & W Website???  Looks like a lot of bait dealers may close up shop.  I dealt with this in New York last year, looks like Vermont is joining in this year.  You cannot trap your own bait, cannot save bait to reuse another day, must have receipt confirming it is tested bait, etc.  Should be an interesting year. 
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Drakeman70

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New VHS Regulations
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2007, 09:05 AM »
It ought to be pretty interesting.  With not being able to transport off the ice I'll just have to spend the night in the shanty on Saturday's and keep fishing all night long.  Hopefully that excuse will work with the wife and get some more fishing time in.

Offline backwater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish now, work later.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2007, 02:33 PM »
This might make me just go with artificials or worms only.  This is a headache I don't need, and a big extra expense.  I would think at least half of the bait dealers will be finished.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2007, 06:11 PM »
They talked about this in Michigan too but for now the DNR has realized that it would have shut down over 90% of the states sport shops. And minnows would have cost at lest 5.00 a doz for crappie size minnows
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2007, 06:17 PM »
Wow, this is going to shut down most of the pike anglers in the state.  I read of the VHS kill in St Lawrence River last year, it was huge. VHS is a very real threat to the fish population. I suppose NOT fishing with minnows is better than having thousands of fish die off from VHS. 

gofish33

Offline edp13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2007, 03:38 PM »
what the scoop on dead bait?
Slaying fish on the hard water

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2007, 12:24 PM »
I believe dead or alive, the same rules apply, check out the website.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2007, 06:03 PM »
I emailed F&W about the preserved bait that you can buy from Dick's / WalMart.  I got an answer from a 'Tom Jones' who said it was legal at this point.  He didn't suggest that it might be illegal sometime in the future, but you gotta wonder.  Best to keep a watch on the VT F&W site for breaking news.

gofish33

Offline fishfarmer69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2007, 04:27 PM »
Ok the way I've been reading it, you have 48 hours to use the bait you just bought for Lake whatever. I'm thinking about how this will affect weekend derbies. You bring you bait home, split it up for two days supply( or can you leave some bait in your truck in the access area/camp/ etc off the waterbody?). You bring out enough bait for the first day of fishing, end of day, toss it. You still have the receipt for the rest of the bait which you can use for the next day, but must be used in the same water body.

Does this sound legal?

It will be interesting to see where the Inland bait dealers will be able to get bait. There really aren't that many stores that sell bait in this state and I'm not sure if Hog Island is considered a Champlain source. I know of one local  inland dealer who used to get bait there.

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2007, 09:21 AM »
Looks correct to me.....  :tipup:
"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.