Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Bluegill

where to find the big ones?

(1/2) > >>

wick:
Ive cought alot of bluegills over the past few weekends but never seem to find the big ones. What is the general depth that you find big gills. I remember last year i was fishing deep and cought a few nice gills but i cant remember the depth. Do gills go in or on the edge of weed beds?  Thanks for any info ;D

Iceshanty:
First you need a lake with big slabs in it then
I drill holes until I find the school of slabs, Big gills can be found anywhere on a given lake; deep, shallow, suspended. I prefer to fish shallow so I look shallow. Prime areas are weed edges, holes, and structure. Gills can change their pattern in the blink of an eye. When you find a school of little ones in weeds, drill the area out throughly the big boys may be close by.

-Scott

Fish247:
When you find little ones you may have also found pigs.  If I start catching a bunch of little dinks I don't move right away.  I don't sit there all day either.  Little gills eat just about any thing you dish out, and that's great when you're 5.  If you want to catch momma gill in the midst of her young....KEEP YOUR BAIT/LURE MOVING!  The constant movement seems to intimidate the dinks, but it just pi**'s the big ones off.  I usually start with slow methodical 3-4in bobs of the rod(this imitates the move ment of fresh water shrimp and daphnea).  If that doesn't work then I speed things up a bit with short 1-2in twiches of the rod tip(hang onto your rod though they usually hammer it on this one).  Small, light jigs work good for a lift and fall technique.  Lift the rod about a foot or two and drop the rod back to its original spot; WATCH your line on this one!If none of these things work "Carry on my wayward son there will be fish when the day is done!"  

Just my .02.  Hope it helps.

Eric

fishingking:
the lift n drop technique works well for both gills and crappie going small also helps. ive found gills in weeds, along edges, shallow, deep it all depends what lake you are on ussually i try to fish 8-12 ft for gills unless your in a shallow area with weeds then there ussually in there too 3ft or deeper

asphalt_kid:
Sometimes when I am catching the smaller gills and I just cant seem to get the bigger ones I sometimes just move just a little bit deeper water. For example I just may move out 20-30 feet and this seems to work sometimes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version