Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

Flooded River = BIG BROWN PICS (actually they are salmon) I stand corrected!

(1/4) > >>

Bluefinforme:
well................I am pumped to say the least.  This AM was my first trip to the sweetwater this season....me and Mike grabbed our fly rods and headed to a spot we knew would be "unfishable" in many people's minds....we arrived to the river.....and it was raging....it was a long drive up there so we threw the waders on and headed out into the whitewater. First we had to walk through knee high water....which is usually woods.  I stood there, in the water, looked down at my feet, and saw a HUGE brown.  I knew they hadn't stocked the river yet, so this lone ranger must have been a native.  To make a long story short, I casted a grey ghost (modified) up stream and as soon as it hit the water, the brown took off for it.  I lost site of the fish and was mending my line when.........WHAMMM... .a huge hit....I set it and the fish EXPLODED out of the water for one of it's 6 or 7 jumps.  10 minutes after battling this thing in the current, Mike was able to get to hands under the fish...we left our nets at home, figuring we would only "take a look at the river".  So without a net, it was tough!  we looked at the fins...and no clip!  the fish looked like an old pro that must have made it's way up from the pond.  Thankfully I had my camera phone ;D

After Mike gave me my phone back he whispered "there's another one!!"
Sure enough....in the same spot.....even after all the commotion, another SMALLER brown was resting in the current.  I casted the same ghost up stream and BAM

I released both fish, and man you could tell they weren't stocked.  Even after a 10 minute fight with multiple, leaps, I could barley hold on to the big one.  Hopefully when the river drops, they make their way back down river and stay out of the "snag" guys way.

BillB:
The fat lady may be singing the salt but she sure ain't singing the sweetwater, huh?  Nice fish! 

jacksmelt71:
nice fish ben! good to see theres a few big ones left. congrats!!

Scott Wright:
Nice job, skipper!! sweet fish...

billditrite:
great fish ben!! nice job once again bud!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version