New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1093715 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks again

Just bring your creepers and if there might be wind plan to anchor down your shanty or tent.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got creepers and tent anchor . All set thanks

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Highland lake contest for tomorrow

From FB page

CONTEST IS STILL ON. There is generally 6-8 inches but there are also some thin spots, ATV’s ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED DUE TO THIN ICE

https://www.facebook.com/Mahogany-Ridge-Hunting-Fishing-Club-944741532276259/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Highland lake contest for tomorrow

From FB page

CONTEST IS STILL ON. There is generally 6-8 inches but there are also some thin spots, ATV’s ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED DUE TO THIN ICE

https://www.facebook.com/Mahogany-Ridge-Hunting-Fishing-Club-944741532276259/

Too bad I don't bother with Screw Book and can't post a comment. Why not just mark off the thin spots and let the folks go play? "Generally", 6-8 inches is a go for even a wuss like me. The guy doing the measuring must be using the same ruler I use with my wife, this is - - - 6 inches! Bet it is a foot in most spots.

Gam

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
TWhy not just mark off the thin spots and let the folks go play?
Gam

One word..... Liability

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
One word..... Liability

What will be seen at the contest is ATVs and snowmobiles on the ice and fishing the contest but they entered from private properties other than the Sand Beach Bar. Highland is in fact a private lake so they can set any rules they want for those entering from their property but have no control over those entering from other private homes around the lake.

Gam

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good day best to all attending  Highland Lake and King of the Ice contests this weekend . Loudmouth879,Gamalot thank you gentlemen for recent ice condition reports for your respective areas. To all only attending King of Ice contest below is link to Sullivan County Conservation Club's website believe they also have a Facebook page where you can check for any news on ice conditions and if the contest will be held. You might deal with snow Sunday morning have a good time at either contest.

www.sullivancountyconservationclub.org I checked hyperlink it is correct website under Kong of Ice says to check Facebook page for latest ice condition/contest news. Also a question for all of you has anyone ever heard of Sportman's Garage they are providing bait for contest. I'm not familiar with this business.

IceBalls hope you are feeling better and get over cold quickly. Harwater diehard thank you for update on Highland Lake contest.
Steve

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
A friend talked me into going to King of Ice, ugh, I hope I won't regret it!  :o
He even talked me into bringing my quad, stupid me?
3-400 people??? I'm used to having the ice to myself...should be "interesting".

Any hints on how to deal with crowds and catch a few fish?   ???

Current plans are to be there early, but I bet most peoples will be too.
Planned on jigging with many different jigs, spoons and Swedish pimples. Tip downs at multiple depths...

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A friend talked me into going to King of Ice, ugh, I hope I won't regret it!  :o
He even talked me into bringing my quad, stupid me?
3-400 people??? I'm used to having the ice to myself...should be "interesting".

Any hints on how to deal with crowds and catch a few fish?   ???

Current plans are to be there early, but I bet most peoples will be too.
Planned on jigging with many different jigs, spoons and Swedish pimples. Tip downs at multiple depths...

It can be a real zoo for sure but usually a good time is had by most. No tips on how or where to catch fish but if you bring your quad you better have all the proper paperwork, registration and insurance proof and be wearing your helmets.

Gam

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
BlueSail...bait receipts ...all applicable licenses/registrations ..helmets..ridged tow bar ...Navionics free two week App on your smartphone probably not a bad thing ..... Good luck at KOI

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating/mapOptions@14&key=kuj%7DFpawgM

https://www.navionics.com/usa/apps/navionics-boating
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There should be guys on the forum out on Highland now. I think they have cell service there so maybe one will post how it is going, turn out, ice thickness and if there are machines out there.

Gam

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I am in Dutchess County and hit the ice this morning.   I needed a plank to get onto the ice. 

The lake and I went to about 3 feet of thin ice before I got to the good stuff, so be prepared if you’re going to go out tomorrow.

Once I got out I had 9 inches over 20 -30 feet of water.   

We pulled some nice perch out, and the wife lost a decent pickerel. 

With the snow covering the thin spots, please be careful tomorrow. No fish is worth your life   

This will probably be my last weekend on the ice, after this will be kayak fishing once the water opens up.  If there are any other members who go out in kayaks, let me know as I would be more than happy to go out with friends.

Not only will I be striper fishing  in the Hudson, I’ll also be hitting the freshwater for perch and crappies.

Congratulations to everybody for finally having a semi-decent winter in years     Lol
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good morning does anyone who attended Highland Lake contest have a report the Mahogany Ridge Hunting/Fishing club facebook page only has a post thanking all who came out for the event. Looks like a nice day for King of Ice light winds presently here in New Windsor received a couple inches of snow overnight so could be more on ice in Sullivan County.

Kb I attend the men's lacrosse game at Marist yesterday noticed a few of the small ponds I passed only had skim ice. Forecast for this week will not help ice. Be safe everyone and enjoy what remains on this season.
Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just returned home from White Lake, King of the Ice contest. It had to be one of the all time most miserable days of ice fishing this year! I arrived there at 4:30 AM to register and was on the ice by 5:30 setting up. I fished the straights between the lakes right where it opens to the White Lake 17B side.

It was OK until about 8 Am when the fierce winds began to blow. I had my Clam 2 man anchored down solid but the winds were so strong I began to get concerned the fabric was going to rip right off and the tent frame poles bent. Had to be gusts well over 30 MPH straight out of the north. Very poor turn out based on years past and those who did not come were the smart ones. I had one good fish on for about 5 minutes but never did see what it was before it spit the hook. I was after the Lake Trout fishing over 70 FOW and the fish came 2 feet right off the very bottom on a 4 inch minnow.

It was brutal and to those who stuck it out my hat is off to you. I packed it in at 11:30 and was happy to get off that miserable lake. I only saw one Pickerel  about 18 inches that was caught up close to the launch and that was all they had caught.

I hate fishing in strong winds and it will take the rest of the day to get my equipment thawed and dried out. Next week looks like a disaster for us hard water guys but there is a measured 12.5 inches of ice where I fished today.

Gam

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Gary:  I hate White Lake....never had a decent day there!!!  Almost makes me glad that I have this head cold and didn't go there !!  Have you heard anything about the Highland Lake contest??  Wondering how everyone did there and if there was a decent gathering of IceShanty.com guys ???

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gary:  I hate White Lake....never had a decent day there!!!  Almost makes me glad that I have this head cold and didn't go there !!  Have you heard anything about the Highland Lake contest??  Wondering how everyone did there and if there was a decent gathering of IceShanty.com guys ???

White Lake does give up some nice fish but they are few and far between. You didn't miss anything today Rog. I don't fish the Highland contest because no trout or walleyes there and have heard nothing from any members who might have gone to it. I do think they shot their feet saying no machines allowed and I just don't get it with 12.5 inches of good ice on White Lake and unsafe on Highland???? I would expect Huntington to be fine right now as well.

Gam

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good evening looks like I was wrong about being nice day for King of the Ice . Gamalot sounds like the wind made for a nasty outing wonder if last nights snow helped keep turnout low. IceBalls hope your feeling better guess we will have to wait and see if anyone will post about Highland Lake contest.
Steve

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
11.5" on Onteora. Not a bite. Getting out my open water gear.

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
We had a blast at King of the Ice today, fishing was slow but venison sausages, jerky, friends and IPA made it well worth our effort. The wind did occasionally knock over buckets but mild temps kept it very bearable. One member of our party ended up with 6th largest pickerel. Turnout was 380 entrants, they were pleased to see a high number after the last few poor ice years.  A bunch of nice perch were caught nearby too. This was my first venture off my home ice in ~30 years so it was fun to explore new ice. Ended going out this evening at home to catch crappie. Today could've been one of the last of an overall decent ice fishing season. Cheers to all!

Offline browningboy4

• IceShanty Rookie
I did both and fished next to bluesail today, both were good wind was bad at times but I caught about 40+ fish and had a 24" picky almost got 3rd by a hair...

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
11.5" on Onteora. Not a bite. Getting out my open water gear.

Today could've been one of the last of an overall decent ice fishing season. Cheers to all!

If the ice holds through the 25th there will be at least one more week of fishing after that

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
BlueSail,Browningboy4 thank you for you reports from King of Ice contest .I checked Times Herald Record website and see history was made yesterday at contest first Queen of the ice . Rae Mootz of Kenoza Lake (Sullivan county) took the title with 26 inch,4.27 pound chain pickerel .

While out on Saturday and Sunday passed several small ponds that had mixture of skim ice/open water those still iced over had grayish looking ice so remember your spud and safety gear if venturing out this week. Getting onto and off ice surface maybe a challenge.

Also a couple days back I inquired for info. on business called Sportsman's garage with some searching found address and phone number.

Sportsman's Garage   (845)-627-3380    72 Third Street Godeffrey,NY.     Bud Flanagan is owner.

Enjoy the President's  Day holiday .
Steve

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
I fished Highland on Saturday my buddy took first with a 15" crappie and I took second with a 14 3/4" crappie. It was a good day on the ice with alot of nice fish caught. Fun little derby. Didn't fish KOI this year but did fish Superior and had a good day with a mixed bag of fish. Superior had around 14" of ice.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Superior camera work Tom !!!  Looks like you all had fun. Sorry I couldn't be there.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Not my photos IB ..just passing along from SCCC FB post .

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
They're saying March is going to be colder than average... if the ice holds up we should be good to go

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who is saying that?  The NOAA monthly prediction map has March running at a 30% chance for being above normal temperatures on average.

The 8-14 day, taking us to March 5th, is also around a 30% chance for above average.

Basically, they give me hope for quick open water and sadness for their being safe ice.

They're saying March is going to be colder than average... if the ice holds up we should be good to go

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Time to get the boat ready , these mild temps are gonna put an end to the shorelines in no time at all
It was too good to last after such a bitter cold December and January

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Superior camera work Tom !!! 

I especially love the multiple photos of the port-a-potties!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.