Author Topic: 9:45 on a Tuesday..  (Read 1630355 times)

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 9:45 on a Tuesday..
« Reply #13830 on: Nov 09, 2018, 04:28 AM »
Capt. Jim, so very sorry for your families loss. You are all in my thoughts.

32 degrees and light wind this morning. Rain moving in late morning.  No deer seen in the woods yesterday. Maybe they will be up and about today.

Have a good day everyone....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13831 on: Nov 09, 2018, 05:07 AM »
Good Morning Everyone :bow:

22 degrees with light snow. By afternoon 30mph winds and a chill to go with it ???

Capt. Jim you all remain in our prayers, keep strong for the family. Good advice mr.clean.

Eddie thanks for the info. I thought there was something about shotguns. 41 years ??? That's crazy, what a fantastic tradition. Hope you have a good wrap to the week Sir!

John good luck with the new helper :thumbsup: When do you expect the processing to peak?

WW you are probably about to return. Looking forward to updates on Mr WW's hunting.

Good luck in the woods today h2l :thumbsup:

The snowblower mounting went fine. I have a JD Lawn tractor so it's fairly easy to take off the mower and put on the blower. My usual problem is the need to get up and down 20X's to tweak this and tweak that lining up holes for the pins. Tire chains is an area that can make you talk to yourself. It always seems like I am missing a link. It's either too tight or a little sloppy. I don't have any problems with my 4 wheeler, or truck when I put chains on. Somehow the mower chains aren't my friend. And of course when I get mine done I still have the s-i-l's to do.

Hope you all have an excellent Friday :thumbsup: Stay safe!

WS

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13832 on: Nov 09, 2018, 06:23 AM »
Capt. Jim You have my deepest sympathy on the loss of your daughter.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13833 on: Nov 09, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Capt. Jim...my condolences to you and your family.

34 here in the Metro Detroit area with the first snowfall of this winter.

You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13834 on: Nov 09, 2018, 09:43 AM »
So sorry Capt.Jim  for your loss. Your family is in my prayers. 

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #13835 on: Nov 09, 2018, 11:58 AM »
To All of the friends and members of I.S., and the crew of the 9:45

Thank You for all of your thoughts, prayers, well wishes, and condolences - It helps to know that you(we) are not alone in this time of sorrow, and that there are people who take
     time for a quick chat when it is needed to help with the understanding of the grief we have over her passing, it is a great comfort to us all here

O.S. - My father said the same thing to me when we lost my youngest sister in a auto accident over 30 years ago, Now, I know the feeling, and the sentiment

W.S. - P.M. rec'd - Thank You

Mr. Clean - The clergy was of great help yesterday, we will be in touch with them later after the 'dust' settles - Thank You

The wife had a restless night last night, understandable, she was better at talking about things this morning, Time will help to numb and lessen the pain

Again - from the bottom of my heart - Thank You to all of the I.S. family members for thoughts and prayers

Be Safe-Stay Warm-Have Fun-Tight Lines or Straight Shots-Records & Limits-Good Eats-Get Well Soon
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13836 on: Nov 09, 2018, 09:47 PM »
Good evening ,if there are no last minute problems house closing will happen on morning of Nov.15 TH . Currently raining  folks in upstate sections of NY. might see snow from this storm system.
Tom Turkey did your neighbor finish work on garage door hope he took your recommendation and purchased new springs and cables.
Hunts2long may things turn around with your hunting.
Wallyworld good journey home looking forward to hear about Mr.WW's hunting trips.
Whopper Stopper glad snow blower hook up was not a major project. May you have same experience when doing your SIL's.
Eddie  probably is a good plan to have money budget for Capital/Empire Plaza maintenance rather then having to pass special bill if something major needed repair. Best to you and your buddy if hunting this weekend.
Capt.Jim happy your clergy has been a help during this trying time when the dust settles as you say things can get difficult as friends and neighbors get back to their lifes and your alone to deal with the change in your life.

A good Saturday to all, best to everyone hunting and fishing.
Steve

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #13837 on: Nov 10, 2018, 03:18 AM »
Good morning ER'S!!!!!!
It's currently 3:35 with a brisk 30° temp with a real feel of 16° and snowing.. Right now we have just a dusting on the ground but they are calling for 2-4" by the end of the day and of course..ITS WINDY OUTSIDE!!! Kinda the way this season has gone for us, if it hasnt been raining/snowing, it's been windy!!!!! If my time in the stand wasnt limited like it is I'd surely be staying home this a.mm as I'm sure I'm going to be swaying around in that stand!!!!
Capt jim...  Hope your and your wife had a good day yesterday (as best as you could) and both of you were able to get some rest..
H2L.. The woods have been heating up around here so hopefully you get to see some action from the stand!
WS.... Glad the snowblower excursion went off without a problem and hopefully the SILs does as well!!! Hopefully the honey do list is starting to shrink a little! Lol.. In the spring time i create my own list and hang it on the fridge.. Crossing off as ingo.. helps ke feel like I'm accomplishing things.. My CRAZY TIME starts next weekend.. so the peak will for surely be next week.. probably will see somewhere around 40-50 deer the week of the 18th...
New hire came last night.. Great kid and I hope he catches on.. is a very sincere fella and has a unbelievable story to his life.. honeslty.. I'm excited to have him on board 1..because I think he can really use the money
2.. I love it when people recognize their life is in shambles and they take it upon themselves to fix it. He is very open about this so I'll share just a little. Hes a recovering drug addict.. He recognized he had an issues after a few years of bad decisions and checked himself into rehab.. been clean for 3 years but openly talks about his struggles in Hope's that it keeps him on the straight clean path.. he has a newborn boy about 1 1/2 old and that's his main focus.. he grew up without a dad and he wants to make sure his boy is in his life so that's his focus to stay clean.. He likes to talk, but that might be a downfall for him as I see he can't work and talk at the same time... I'm confident hell pick up the pace and we will do well together..
Last night was one of those nights that was kinda crazy.. got alot done but seemed like I was chasing my tail in a circle like a dog.. Both phones ringing at the same time, guy dropping off, guy picking up.. new hire "rocko" asking questions on how to cut tending to smoker,working on euro, cutting deer... busy busy... all in all a good night.. I broke down and called the skinners last night to have them skin the couple that came in as I just didnt have time to do it myself.....
Been pondering the new puppy and how to go about this.. Wasnt supposed to be ready till Christmas eve but I can pick him up in 2 weeks.. guy says hell keep him as long as I need cause he messed up the date.. might break down and get him the first week in dec and give to kiddos early as I dont really have a place to keep him so kids dont find out..
The girl I started seeing has been acting odd the last 2 weeks... She doesnt hardly reply back to me.. only texts me in the a.m.'s and often doesnt respond back.. I decided that I'm going to play the silent card for a few days and return the favor of not responding.. I dont have time for games.. ironically enough I drive past her ex BF's house on the way to work.. I see what appears to be her car parked in the driveway(which explains why she doesnt respond back after 4(very much)
I might be reading too much into things, however with my past relationships and knowing how sneaky people can be(experience with ex wife) I'm pretty confident I know what's going on here and about ready to pull the plug..
Coffees on fellas and the wind is calling me.. time to get ready to feel like a squirrel in s tree..
Good luck and stay safe

Finished product

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #13838 on: Nov 10, 2018, 06:03 AM »
Good Morning John, Morning Everyone,
  37* with mist and fog at the moment, temps will slowly decrease as the day goes on. We got our first snow yesterday, started late afternoon and by 8pm we had about an inch on the ground. Glad there wasn't much more than that with so many trees holding leaves yet.

Capt.Jim...thoughts and prayers sent to you and all the family, may each passing day bring you all a little more comfort. I am so glad speaking to the clergy has helped some Jim, and agree, there are some very, truly good, and caring people here on this site.

John...very nice job on the Euro mount!   :clap:  Be safe up in that tree stand today, best of luck! Glad the new hand is showing signs of working out for you, very busy pace in your day to day agenda, wow! Hope everything  works out for you with your GF. Guess the only thing I could say would be to follow your gut feelings, they're usually right IMO.  :thumbsup:
  Steve...it's been a long road for you and your sister with the house, I'm certain you feel some relief now....congratulations on locking in on the closing date Sir!   :clap:
  Marv...glad the snowblower hook up went fairly well, hope your SIL's goes the same for you. Looking forward to this years deer opener, the odds are against me, lol. I was late purchasing my hunting license and missed out on the doe permits, so it will be buck only for me until the blackpowder season opens. The doe to buck ratio in the area we'll be hunting is quite high, but there's always a few around...maybe I'll step in a pile of something on my way into my ground blind.  ;D
  H2...hoping that colder weather yesterday got things moving in your woods. Good luck with today's hunting if you're heading out. A fresh blanket of snow should help.    :thumbsup:
  WW...safe travels back, looking forward to your post! Hope you had a great time in Va.   :thumbsup:
  Jeff...hope things are going well on your Maine hunting trip!   :thumbsup:
  Tom...if I lived closer to you, wouldn't have let you sold that shelter...we'd be putting it to use.

A 3 day weekend has started, will be nice having an extra day off even if the weather isn't the best. Going to take a walk in a little while up to my hunting grounds and do a little scouting, it's higher in elevation than here and I'm sure most of the snow we got yesterday should still be on the ground.
  We haven't put one mouse on the official measuring board yet at the shop, but we did have 2 near misses. The newbies on our crew don't know what to think about this, lol, but they're getting a kick out of it. We actually keep a log book with dates, length, and bait used..told them its not all about masonry around here, we like trapping season!  :roflmao:
  Thanks for putting on the cawfee John...thinking scrambled eggs and bacon to go with it this am.
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing/hunting.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13839 on: Nov 10, 2018, 06:30 AM »
Good morning everyone,
Capt, you're all still in our thoughts and prayers. Hope you are holding up ok

John, the mount looks great. Glad you're willing to take a chance on the guy regardless of his past. Always nice to help someone who's willing to help themself. Sometimes a chance is all they need to turn things around for themselves :bow:

Eddie, gotta love a good mouse roundup! We have crow tournaments around here. One of them counts crows as 5 points apiece and pigeons as 1 point apiece. My buddy and I won it a few years ago and never shot a crow. Hammered the pigeons at the family farm and cleaned house. The hardcore crow hunters (yes, we have such a thing around here) were pretty angry that we beat them at their own game by following their rules :woot:

It's just above the freezing point here this morning and WINDY! I think I can smell John's maple sticks from here! (it's coming from his direction) ;D I headed to the biggest tree in our woods with a permanent wooden stand in it this morning to avoid getting blown all over the place. If this big oak starts swaying then I've got bigger problems than the wind! It's a great spot with awesome woods all 360 degrees around it and the deer funnel through the area. It has already produced a nice 8pt 3 weeks ago so now hopefully it's my turn! :thumbsup:

Hope everyone has a great day. Good luck and stay safe!
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13840 on: Nov 10, 2018, 06:56 AM »
I lost my post yesterday due to operator ERROR. I had too my much to do so I never tried again. With my feeble mind being what it is I can not remember what I had typed.

Capt Jim I want to add my condolences to you and your family for the loss of your daughter. You and your family are in my prayers.

We had an inch of snow on the ground yesterday morning that was melted off by noon. When the wife left bingo last night almost every ones car doors were froze shut. The wife priced out a remote start so she could get into a warm car but it was way to many $$$. Oh for the day when you could put on yourself. She is going to take my key tonight so she can go start the car and open it with her key when she gets out of bingo. That is if it is not froze shut when she wants to start it.

Mr C The guy did not have to buy new springs. They come with the door. He was trying to short cut the install. He hooked up the old ones. When trying to get the tension right he over wound them so he had a hard time getting it back down.

Fishinjohn. It is good that your new hire is able to open up to you about his past. Hopefully working with you will help keep him on the right path in life. My stepsons new girl friend has been very open about her past with us. She has beome very close with the wife since she knows we do not hold her past against her. She has been a great influnce with the step son improving his life as well.

WS Hopefully the chains on your sil's blower do not give you the same trouble as yours did. I got my mower put away and my blower pulled out yesterday. Gladly it does not have chains. When I was just out of HS I was working at a service station. We could here the chains hitting the fender of the mailmans Studerbaker a block away. We were constantly fixing his chains. The fenders of his Studebaker were beat up pretty bad.

I realized yeaterday that I need to get a bushel of apples made into sauce today. I miss not having my garage refridgerator to keep them in any more so they do not ripen until I have time to process them.

Every one have a great day.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13841 on: Nov 10, 2018, 07:38 AM »
Good morning everyone :bow:

11 degrees with a high of about 25 today. Many of the little ponds are ice covered and a couple of the small lakes have some crust around the edges. About the time things look promising for ice they are calling near 50 as we get into the weekend.

Gee John after reading your report I need a nap. Wow what a pace! For years I worked along side some nice young guys, many 20-30+ years younger than I that had some real tough stories. I always took things a day at a time and in many cases some are good friends yet today. Unfortunately others just weren't ready or hadn't hit bottom hard enough and the stays weren't long. Three after trying to get straightened out committed suicide. Hope he works out for you, "Way To Go" giving him a chance :thumbsup: One other comment, I can't believe how many people that can not work and talk at the same time. That always drove me nuts. The good thing is it can be over come :thumbsup:

Eddie hope you find some good deer sign when out scouting :thumbsup: Are you going to take any time off for hunting? Enjoy your long weekend Sir :thumbsup:

Fishy good luck in the stand today :thumbsup: Fingers crossed for your crack at an 8pt. :thumbsup:

TT good luck with the apple sauce :thumbsup: I love that :thumbsup:

WW safe travels :thumbsup:

I just noticed I am way behind this morning so I need to get going.

Hope everyone has an excellent day :thumbsup: Stay safe!

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13842 on: Nov 10, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Morning all,

Aaaahhhh.........home sweet home again  ;D   :thumbsup:  it was nice to get away and visit a friend, but NOTHING beats home  :woot:

MrWW hasn't had any luck so far, seeing a few does and fawns that's about it. He's hoping the cold weather will stir them up a little  ;)2

WS....good luck with your s-i-l's snowblower, hope it's a painless process for you  :flex:

Eddie....enjoy the long weekend, hope there's some good signs in the woods  :)

TT.....mmmmm I can almost smell the apples simmering  :clap:

MrC.....glad to hear it seems the closing will finally get done even tho I'm sure it will be a little bittersweet   :-\

John.....kudos for giving the young fella a chance, hope he keeps it together and works out for you  ;)2

Fishy....be careful out there sir  :o

Time to get things unpacked and catch up on chores around here.

Have a good day whatever your plans. Stay safe.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13843 on: Nov 10, 2018, 05:12 PM »
WW, it is always great to get back home after at trip. Glad you had a good time. Good Luck to MRWW.

Hunted from 6:30 until about 2pm on Friday. I did see some deer in the afternoon before the front moved in. Two were does and didn't get a good look at the other two. But they were moving. We got about 2/3 inches of wet heavy snow and real windy overnight and all day today. Our power went out at 7:30 last night and just came back on about half an hour ago. Wife went shopping with the daughter and spend the day at her house as we had no heat. Sure do miss the wood stove at times like these. I didn't hunt today with the wind and the snow blowing out of the trees. I am either getting old or smarter. I heard some shots about 8 this morning, guys that hunt the hill across the river got a nice 8pt.

Hope all is fine with everyone....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13844 on: Nov 11, 2018, 03:54 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  31* with light winds this am, high of 36.
  Happy Veterans Day....wishing all of our Vets here on IceShanty a very Happy Veterans Day, thank you all for your service!!   :bow: :thumbsup: :clap:

H2...glad you're back up and running again, losing power is never good especially this time of year. Best of luck with today's hunting if you're heading out!   :thumbsup:
  Wally...welcome back, nothing beats the comfort of your own home after a trip, that's for sure!  :thumbsup:  Seems like I saw more coyote than deer tracks yesterday, but there was some good signs of bucks in the area which was encouraging.
  Marv...some good cold weather out your way, that's unfortunate the thermometer is going up. I doubt I'll be taking any time off of work hunting this season, but one thing nice about the 5am starts is I can get back home and catch the last hour or two at a close by spot. Any plans for a trip back up to the shack?
  Tom..hope the applesauce turns out well, sure loved the smell of that being made as a kid when my Dad made it.
  DFF...looking forward your post, hope that big old oak stand produced for you!   :thumbsup:    Wtg beating those boys at their own game, good stuff!   :clap:
  Capt.Jim...thoughts and prayers sent to you all this morning.

The weather sure had a bite in it yesterday up in the woods, winds up to 25mph or so and some snow squalls while I was there. I sprayed all my hunting clothing down with a good dose of Permethrin to ward off the ticks, stayed out of the brush as much as possible. Seemed to work, nothing found crawling around when I got back to my truck. Placed them in big plastic bins with a few pine branches I whittled the bark off for cover scent and topped them until next week.
  The deer sign was so so, found a nice scrape within shooting range of my spot, and a few rubs. Seems like there's more coyotes than deer there, but it sure fealt nice getting back in the woods and away from it all even for a little while. Kind of anxious to get back there in the Pre dawn hours next weekend and hear the woods come alive.
  One of my nieces will be saying her vows this morning, looking forward to that and seeing some family members who will be in town.
  Cawfee's on...
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing/hunting!

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13845 on: Nov 11, 2018, 07:04 AM »
Morning all,

Happy Veteran's Day  :thumbsup:  Thank you all for your service and sacrifice  :bow:

Eddie.....hopefully the cold will slow the ticks down a little  :-\  glad to hear you made it thru the woods w/o any unwanted hitchhikers  :thumbsup:  best wishes to your niece, enjoy the family time  :clap:

H2L....sorry to hear you lost power, not good to not have heat  :nono:  that wind yesterday was a bit much for sitting in the woods  :o  maybe today will be THE day for you  ;)   good luck at the alley tonight  :)

Woke up to a blanket of snow on the ground this morning and the town sander driving by  ;D   looks like it's time to put the bike up for the winter  :( now if the ground would freeze up we could move the tractor/snowblower from the back barn to the garage w/o either getting stuck or tearing up the lawn  :blink: 

Have a good day. Stay safe.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13846 on: Nov 11, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Good Morning Everyone, looks like it’s going to be a chilly day.

Captain Jim, i’m Sorry for your loss. Your family is in our prayers.

Wally i’m Glad you got the blower on the tractor ok.

Off to church this morning. The Mrs is staying home. She’s not feeling well.

I hope everyone has a great Veterans Day and everyone remembers the soldiers who have served to make this a great country.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #13847 on: Nov 11, 2018, 05:47 PM »
To All of the Veterans here on the I.S., To the Families who have Veterans, living & past, And to All Veterans themselves - Thank You for Your Service, to keep all of the citizens
     of this country safe and away from harm, and to the Families for their Sacrifice of a loved one for the same reason, I Salute You

Good Evening, All

Sunny with a brisk breeze today, never got to 50*, Come On Ice

The events of the week have not severely dampened our spirits, Ellie(wife) & myself took the long ride today to clear our heads and reflect on things, Even thou it was way too
     soon, we realize that some things are inevitable, and the happenings of our week could have been much sooner then now, we are grateful for the time we had with Melisa,
     and have no regrets over past actions

To All of the I.S. Family from us here at the Jersey Shore, Thank You for your Support, both in P.M.'s and General Chit Chat

I placed an order for my plastics, and some more jigs late last night, just have to pull the gear out and go over it, a couple of small changes that pop up in mind, nothing major
     planed, going to put new line on the reels, I don't know about an 'itch', but I am now getting anxious

45 - Hope the Mrs. feels better

Mrs. W.W. - The snow can wait till after Thanksgiving

Mason - Good Luck when you get to hunting

Fishinjohn - I agree with W.S., that pace is 'killer', Hold up Well, my friend, don't burnout

T.T. - Now , he has to put the new factory springs on to get the door working right, Like Mason says,'DOH'

Ellie wants out for dinner tonite, Talk to all later

Be Safe-Stay Warm-Have Fun-Tight Lines or Straight Shots-Records & Limits-Good Eats-Get Well Soon
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13848 on: Nov 11, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Finally got the apple sauce in the freezer this after noon. I took off some of the juice. it is some fine tasting stuff. I had a few apples that would not fit in the last pans I cooked so the wife made me a great pie out of them. I used to do two bushels into sauce. I have bought all of the kids the stuff to make their own sauce so they are on their own from here on out.

The guy is still going to use the old springs on the door. I am done doing any thing for him. I will probably steering clear of him from now on. he will probably give away the new tracks and springs with the old door. You can not fix stupid.

My firearms season opens on the 15th so I will be heading to the property on Tuesday. The wife has a Dr's appointment in the morning or I would be going over tomorrow. There are a lot of things that need attention at the other house.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13849 on: Nov 12, 2018, 04:57 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Calm and 23* this am, high of 43 today with sunshine forecasted.

Tom...nothing quite like the home made applesauce, sounds like a fine batch! Best of luck to you and your son with the deer hunting this season.  :thumbsup:
  Capt.Jim...I've been thinking about using plastics more myself this season for panfish. Just can't seem to build up enough confidence and get away from using bait on my jigs. Best wishes sent to you and Ellie Sir.
  I-45...hope your wife is feeling better today Sir.   :thumbsup:
  Wally...looks like some colder weather for this week, hope its enough to firm up the ground for you. Good luck to Mr.WW if he's hunting this am!   :thumbsup:
  Marv...hope the gremlins haven't invaded your computer again.

Very nice time at the wedding yesterday with family and friends. Saw two of our old neighbors we grew up with as kids, many many years between our last conversations...lots of laughs catching up.
  I'm thinking I'd have the local lake to myself today...going to throw the Jonboat on my truck and see if I can get a few perch to play after the sun comes up.   Cawfee's on...
  Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing/hunting.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #13850 on: Nov 12, 2018, 05:21 AM »
Good morning All ER'S!!!!
TT... Homemade applesauce... Yummo!!! The ONLY THING I miss about the EX wife is her cooking! Now dont get me wrong.. I can cook and I do make some pretty dang good food, HOWEVER, that woman can cook!!!! Probably why I was 70lbs heavier when I was married! Lol
Capt jim..WS... You are right.. this time of year my life is BEYOND CRAZY!!! However... some days I feel it's what keeps me young.. I guarantee I'll burn out before season is over.. but.. it's all gotta get done so I'll push through it!
Eddie.... Glad the wedding went off without any glitches! And it's so neat to see old friend and catch up.  Take ya back years and unusually feels good to relive the past a little bit.. kinda makes one feel a little younger maybe..IDK..
And I definitely am enviuos of you fishing today!!!!!!  Good luck and put some perch in the freezer!!!!
Rocko(the new hire) came over again last night... Def not catching on.. hes pretty good on breaking the deer down, BUT MAN O MAN HES SLOW!!! He was over for over 2 hrs and didnt get one deer completed.. glad I dont pay by the hour! Lol
This Saturday all hell breaks loose... hope he can find a little more speed by then.. lol
Well fellas/ladies.. off to real job!
Have a great day

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13851 on: Nov 12, 2018, 05:35 AM »
Morning all,

Eddie......good luck out on the water today  ;)   glad you had an enjoyable time at the wedding, always fun catching up with old friends    :)

IF45.....hope your wife is feeling better today  :)  how is your back doing since the shots  ???

TT.....applesauce AND pie  :o   you, sir, are one lucky man  :woot:  good luck in the woods  ;)2

CapJ....agreed on the snow holding off, it's a little early yet for my liking  ::)  hope you and MrsCap had a nice dinner  :)

WS.....hope all is well in your neck of the woods  ;)2 

John...at least the young fella's trying, probably going slow so as not to mess up and lose the job  :blink:  he's got to be better than no help at all  ;D

MrWW saw 2 bucks yesterday while in his stand, one chasing a doe, so he was pretty happy when I talked to him last night :clap:  guess it's game on now  ;D

Looks like a nice day on tap to finish winterizing the yard, put some fencing around the shrubs, cut back and cover my roses, clean up the remaining leaves, put the driveway markers out,  wash the mud off the mowers so they can be put up for the winter  ;D  back to rain/snow tomorrow  :wacko: 

Have a good day at work or play. Stay safe.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13852 on: Nov 12, 2018, 06:01 AM »
Good morning everyone,
I was busy all day yesterday and never had a chance to post so let me start with a belated Happy Veterans Day and THANK YOU! to all of the veterans here on IS and everywhere else. :bow: :clap: :thumbsup: I hope you all had a great day.

WW, glad you made it home safe and had a good trip :) Good luck around the yard today.

Eddie, I have only found a couple ticks on my clothes after one of my outings so far this year (without spraying them). They seem to be a little bit better than the past few years around here. Hope you get a limit of perch today!

h2l, a few years back I installed a Generac 10Kw standby generator with an automatic transfer switch at my house. Best home investment I have ever made! I like knowing that my wife and kids will have power even if I'm not home to her a portable generator fired up. Power goes out... mine comes right back on about 10 seconds later. My neighbor got sick of seeing my lights on every time we lost power and a few months ago I helped him install one at his house. We had one small outage about a month ago and he sent me a text that was just a smiley emoji  ;D

John, hope the new guy can hit his stride this week. Maybe a little practice will get him up to speed

IF45, hope the Mrs gets feeling better

Tt, had some of our homemade applesauce with dinner last night. Can't beat it!

WS, hope the temps stay low and the ice keeps building for you!

I didn't see anything by 11am from the "big oak" and the wind was freezing me so I ran home to get lunch and warm up. I took my climber back out to a different spot in the woods off the edge of my uncle's field that surrounds his house. I saw one doe walking along the edge of his field but that was it. Yesterday morning he told me I should have gone back out to the same spot (I had too many commitments to hunt at all yesterday) and sent me a picture of a small 8pt at an old feeder by his house (he used to feed them when it was still legal in NY just so he could see what was out there... back before trail cameras). A little while later he sent me a pic of a spike in his field and a little while after that, a big bodied 5pt. They all came out from where my climber is. Guess where I am this morning... ;)
I would let the 8pt walk because he has a small body, hence a young buck with great genetics to have that much horn at a young age. I want him to keep breeding and be a 10 next year. I will probably shoot the 5pt for the same logic. He has a big body and not much bone, hence poor genetics that should be culled out. Really still hoping for a crack at one of the 10s though. Just saw 2 doe walking through about 150 yards below me. Come on boneheads! Hope everyone has a great day. Good luck and stay safe  ;D
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13853 on: Nov 12, 2018, 07:09 AM »
Good morning cold overnight frost still coating cars. My sister came up yesterday and we got leaves raked so now just some cleaning to do before closing on Thursday.
Eddie good luck finding the perch today may you get a heads up on where to start fishing once  lakes freeze over in your area. Congratulations to your niece on her marriage always fun to catch up with old friends . Hope the coyotes have not caused deer to move from your hunting area.
FisherJohn ditto others comments about not over working and stressing yourself in coming weeks. If your new employee had no experience in meat cutting /processing before starting at the supermarket it will take him some time to get up to the speed you and others with more experience work at some people's top speed will be your low gear hopefully not the case and he proves to be a good addition.
Deerefishyfishy may the location change yield a shot and deer harvest .  Nice to have a back up generator just have to remember to keep a watch on your supply of fuel to run the unit. After Hurricane Sandy had run on gas stations as folks stocked up to keep generators running some people were buying over fifty gallons of gasoline just for the generators  every couple of days.
Tom Turkey enjoy the apple sauce nice that you also got a pie out of your apple supply. May your neighbor not get injure by the new garage door if he has problems closing the door it must jump up from floor when unlocked good may to injure your wrists and shoulders.
Wallyworld glad Mr.WW is seeing activity may he get a deer soon and make up for last year. Is it possible to put in a path similar to one Ice Wanderer built so it would be easier to move the tractor and snow blower between the barns.
Icefisher-45 hope your wife is feeling better today.
Hunts2long glad your power is back never fun being in a cold house and having to be concerned about pipes possibly freezing. Hope you had a good night at the bowling alley. Best to you on your next hunt.
Capt.Jim next big hurdle will be arranging and getting through the funeral will be thinking of you and your family. Hope your son is not on deployment and can attended .
Ice Wanderer may things be going well up in Maine and your hunting partners and you seeing plenty of deer.
Whopper Stopper my area will also probably see a warm spell before Winter officially arrives seems we get good weather for ice building every year then the temperature rises.

A safe and good Monday to all. Best to everyone fishing and hunting.
Steve

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13854 on: Nov 12, 2018, 07:35 AM »
Good Morning ER's  22* with a foot of snow, and icy roads to contend with on way to work, I best get an early start.  Later all.
Bud

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13855 on: Nov 12, 2018, 07:56 AM »
IFF......A foot of snow  :o  way too early for that   ::)  be safe

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13856 on: Nov 12, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Good afternoon everyone :bow:

A cold 10 degrees here when I woke up this morning. The one thing that was very noticeable was the wind which has an uncanny ability to chew through you, down to the your bones.

Last night I had a call from a fella a couple miles from my house that was wondering if I had any wood to sell. I said not really but was wondering how much he needed. As it turned out he has family coming from out of town for Thanksgiving and said he would love to have a fire in his fire place. He said it was something he used to do but just couldn't make wood anymore.

I just got back from giving him a trailer full. It should be enough for a two to three weeks and he was actually pretty emotional about it. I guess his wife had always loved a nice wood fire and he hasn't had one since she passed. It always amazes me how little it takes to make someones day special.

Eddie hope you are having some luck with the perch Sir! Funny you ask about the shack. My sister called this morning and was wondering if I had planned to hunt anymore this season. I really hadn't but she said if I did to please keep them in mind, as they didn't get any venison this season. Being I still have a tag left I decided I am going to head back to the woods Thursday for a couple of days. Things had really tapered down when I was up hunting last, so hard telling what I will find. Saturday the rifle season begins and things get pretty slim after that.

Fishy hope something with bones make it past your stand :thumbsup:

TT  good luck to you when you take to the woods on the 15th :thumbsup: Hope you get a chance at one.

WW good luck winding things up on the yard. You going to bake any Turkey cookies?

John hope Rocko snaps out of it and starts piling up the meat soon. We had guys that just seemed like they wouldn't work out but between patience and talking with them they caught on. Trouble is with your short season, you need production fast. Good luck :thumbsup:

Capt. Jim you and your family remain in our thoughts and prayers!

Hope everyone has a good afternoon-evening, best of luck if sitting in the stand :thumbsup:  Stay safe

WS

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #13857 on: Nov 12, 2018, 07:11 PM »
I just thought to post some jokes for the ER's. With IW up in Maine, and Tuesday being a 6:30 reveille, you'll have some humor with your coffee! Ain't I a thoughtful old fart???  ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13858 on: Nov 12, 2018, 07:25 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

WS

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13859 on: Nov 12, 2018, 07:34 PM »
 ;D get em OS LOL