Author Topic: Too much tackle!  (Read 1128 times)

Offline FishnWishn

• IceShanty Rookie
Too much tackle!
« on: Mar 02, 2019, 11:26 PM »
How much do you pull onto the ice? Pulling 2 sleds is insane! Putting all that weight on one is only for the young. Had to cut some of my gear. This is what I accumulated my first couple maths of ice fishing. What you don't see is the stove, grill, heater and what may or may not be beer cans on the bottom of the fish trap. All staying in the truck from now on. The kids tow trailer was going into the dumpster so I picked up a set of $10 ski's from goodwill and built a Smitty Sled. No modification except for cutting away material and unbolting the top. Jet sled fit right between the mounts. Quick disconnect wheels. I know it's an old mod, but new to me.

This is what I ended up with. The sled, hopefully, will make it easier on my old bones. The Fish Trap will only go on the ice if I can tow it with my RZR. Going to test it out tomorrow. Hopefully run into this old girl and her friends from last weekend again.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Too much tackle!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2019, 12:16 AM »
I stopped taking a hut a long time ago.  Also, I highly recommend keeping those auger blades covered unless they’re shaving ice.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:38 AM »
No question that you've enough stuff but you'll need a team of mules to get it all out there smitty sled or no. I've cut back maybe 60% on the stuff I used to haul as I got older and

gravity got so mean. The ice fishing actually got to be more enjoyable when the focus shifted from equipment to the fishing part.

We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Here's what I bring. Except for the fuel/Mora auger and 3 rods, thats everything. If I hafta hike or bike I ditch the sled and carry the auger. Lite is rite!

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline FishnWishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:42 AM »
No question that you've enough stuff but you'll need a team of mules to get it all out there smitty sled or no. I've cut back maybe 60% on the stuff I used to haul as I got older and

gravity got so mean. The ice fishing actually got to be more enjoyable when the focus shifted from equipment to the fishing part.
yea, trying but still in that learning curve. As long as I have my mule... I mean son-n-law, I'll carry just enough to keep this Hawaiian butt comfy on those -degree mornings. That load in the pictures was gear for 3 of us
I stopped taking a hut a long time ago.  Also, I highly recommend keeping those auger blades covered unless they’re shaving ice.
I rarely use the hut and prefer hole hopping, but s-n-l wants it and gotta admit, when that wind blows, I head straight for it. I have a lung disease as well as Rheumatiod/Osteo Arthritis which limits my time in the cold. Usually have the cover on the augers but I just broke the band on the cover as I loaded it.

Offline FishnWishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:52 AM »
We tested the sled out at Aurora this morning and s-n-l was able to run the 100 yards with ease pulling the sled with that lift strap harness I attached. this was one of his rewards.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.