Author Topic: planning a lk Gogebic trip ?  (Read 19951 times)

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: planning a lk Gogibic trip ?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:16 AM »
Hey UP Hunter i will be commin over to fish in a week or 2 maybee we can get together and do some fishin or at least maybee you can turn me oon to a few hot spots  ::) Also i will most likely fishin alone maybee you can give me a name of a good place to stay for a few nights.Not lookin for much justr a place to rest my head after a full day of fishin
I have stayed many times at the Walleye Lodge and really like it there.
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Fished this past weekend caught good numbers of both walleye and perch.  Most perch were in the 11" range.  Wanted to get out again before this cold snap but didn't get a chance.  It was 25 below in Bessemer at 11:00 last night, calling for more of the same through Friday.  Hope for a little warm up to allow us to try again this coming weekend. 

davemillertime - I PM'd you a few days ago with info, not sure if you got the message or not.  Let me know when you might be coming up maybe we could meet up.

Yeah sorry i got you PM and i didnt have time to respond. Anywho I got my date set in stone now, i will be comming down the 31st of jan so if you got that weekend free let me know  :tipup: Also keep me posted about the fishin. DO you think that will be an ok time to come ? as far as the fishin has been past years ?

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2009, 03:58 PM »
How much snow is currently on Lake Gogebic?
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:46 PM »
How much snow is currently on Lake Gogebic?

Well, I walked out on the East shore on Saturday and it was pretty deep.  I thought I was gonna have a heart attack on my way back in!!  It probably took me an hour to walk 300 yards.  I'm no Bruce Jenner (although I wish I was these days) but I am somewhat in shape.   There hadda be over a foot fer sure... 

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:50 PM »
Well, I walked out on the East shore on Saturday and it was pretty deep.  I thought I was gonna have a heart attack on my way back in!!  It probably took me an hour to walk 300 yards.  I'm no Bruce Jenner (although I wish I was these days) but I am somewhat in shape.   There hadda be over a foot fer sure... 

yeah well how is the fishin these days ?? I havent heard a report from that way in a few weeks. ANY PERCH ??

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:53 PM »
I was so consumed about the possible heart attack I forgot to mention the fishing.. :)  There were 4 of us and we ended up w/about 20 perch total.  Fished South of Porky Pt. for about 5 hours total.  Most fish were in the 10-11 range w/a few 14'ers.  ALL fish caught were females incidentally!

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:51 PM »
I fished this afternoon/evening for 4-5 hours just north of Porcupine Point caught 5 perch and 2 eyes, fishing was pretty good.  I wish I could have been out fishing perch all day today.  There is a lot of snow on the lake, at least 1' to 1 1/2' with slush underneath in places.  It would be a tough go with a fourwheeler right now.   
[img]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teamU.gif[img]

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:57 PM »
well with this cold weather we  have had it seems like the fishin sure went south. Hows the bite on gogibic ?  :tipup:

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:00 PM »
I haven't had a chance to get out since Thursday >:(, I hope to get out a few times this week and again next weekend, I will keep you posted...

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:27 AM »
Fished yesterday from noon until about 7:00PM only picked up a few small eyes and one 18" walleye after dark.  I tried fishing for perch off of Porcupine Point and south from noon till 3:30 before retreating back to my permanent for the evening.  I only marked a handfull of fish the entire day.  Slowest day I have had so far this season , A bad day on the ice is still better than an good day at work though :).  Hopefully things will pick up with the warm up this week!   

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:20 PM »
Wondering if anyone fished Gogebic today?  I haven't been there for 2 weeks and was planning to take my little guy (4-1/2 yr. old) out there tomorrow or Sat.  Any suggestions?  North end, south end?
Shut off their video games/TV and take 'em fishing!

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:31 PM »
Thought I would share our results...we did try Gogebic this afternoon/evening off the DNR boatlaunch on east shore.  Pretty slow, and after a couple hours of nothing finally marked 'a couple' fish at sunset.  Had one hit, lost one, and finally caught one 20-1/2" eye. Anyone else having any luck out there?  May head down to the Lodge tomorrow to try the opposite shore.

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:46 PM »
Agreed, very slow this afternoon/evening two 15" eye's between three of us no perch today, hopefullly tomorrow is better.

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 01, 2009, 04:05 PM »
My wife and I were there for a week January 24- 31.  Not the best week but not the worst either caught an average of 6-8 perch (10-13") a day not my walleye.  My wife did catch a 12" crappie though one day a pleasant surprise.  Early in the week the slush was a big problem alot of snow machines were get caught in it, especially in Bergland Bay.  We fished mainly south of Porkie Point all week in shacks from Maple Ridge.

BOB   
“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2009, 08:06 PM »
Thanks for the report.  Did you get over there by going through/across the bay? I've been thinking about trying over that way but seems like a long haul...especially if you get caught out in the slop. Wonder if going across from Ont. Co. park would be quickest/easiest?

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:33 PM »
We were staying at a place that is just a little north of Porkie Point, there was some slush in close but farther out front it was better.  A couple of guys staying at Maple Ridge went through the bay and really got slushed in bad took them a couple days to get an older sled out.  If you are towing anything portable shanty or tub type sled you better go like heck until you are sure you are on solid hardpacked snow.  The early morning/late afternoon bite seem the best.  On Friday we almost had a triple, my wife and I both had a perch on as I was watching Vexilar another fish was under our third rod.  Not many doubles there as you know, let alone a triple, crazy !!!  Then we didn't even mark a fish for a hour or so.   

BOB   
“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:33 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I have a Polaris 600 Switchback (for now) that will 'go like heck' as you say, but I usually take my little guy with and do pull the sled so I'd be lucky to get over 20 MPH (safely) with him on there.  Maybe I'll run down there and try a 'go like heck' run by myself first to assess and see what's it's like.  At least I could say I actually rode my sled this season!  Happy fishing... :tipup:

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:22 AM »
Fished perch on Sunday and did about the best i've done all year...  Got 17 total and a nice crappie to boot.  The largest was just shy of 2 lbs.  It read 1/15 on my digital scale...

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:54 AM »
Perchpounder - Sounds like you had a great day!  I knew that I should have gone out on Sunday also.  We did pretty good on both perch and eye's the last few times out.

downriverbob - I have a permanent shack just off of PP and normally access the lake from just north of the Ontonagon County park.  I have some slush near my shack under the snow, but haven't seen anything that I would be too concerned about with my snowmobile (700 SKS towing a otter sled).  I had to run out to the shack yesterday, and the winds Sunday seemed to set up the top layers of snow quite a bit.  I don't know about the conditions in the bay, haven't been over there in a few weeks.

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:32 PM »
We usually fish out of one of Gus's shacks from Maple Ridge that are off the point, #4 or #5.  We live south of Detroit so my wife and I do the trip once a year for a week.  We usually go the last week in January but are thinking about another time in the winter.  For you regular Lake Gogebic fisherman other than 1st ice what time of year do you favor ?  The 1st year we were ther in March and did OK.  The only time I have fished in Bergland Bay has been in the fall of the year in open water.

BOB   

Norman Maclean

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:13 PM »
Perchpounder - wowza!  that musta been fun.  hope we have a day like that this weekend...my little guy will be bugging me to go more than he is already  8)  are you hanging in the 20-25 ft. areas?  Thanks - former Wakefielder (I did K-5th there in the 70s).

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:23 PM »
Bob I meant to reply to fishhooked in the above post.

To answer your question on the best time to come up: It really depends on what you are targeting.  In my opinion the walleye action really slows down in February and the Perch are just starting to turn on.  I have had my best perch days in March and some years April (final day on the ice last season was April 18th).  The best walleye action is from first ice to the beginning of Feb.  Walleye season is extended to March 15th this year and I expect that the walleye bite will pick up again in March.  I would tell you to come sometime in March, the weather is usually pretty nice, and with the snowmobile season winding down the resorts/restaurants are not as busy.  

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2009, 10:11 PM »
UPhunter - yes, thank you for the reply to my access question and conditions report.  I should definitely be out there (somewhere) this weekend, and with the predicted weather i just might have to take Friday off too  ;D  I have an access "option" a couple miles south of PP so may go out and try there, or maybe head over by the Lodge.  either way, will post my results if all goes as planned.  Good luck!

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2009, 07:39 AM »
Perchpounder - wowza!  that musta been fun.  hope we have a day like that this weekend...my little guy will be bugging me to go more than he is already  8)  are you hanging in the 20-25 ft. areas?  Thanks - former Wakefielder (I did K-5th there in the 70s).

Yep, it was fun and all in about 4 hours.  Sometimes you just get on top of em and it's non-stop.  That usually doesn't happen though.   I can remember days in the late 90's where I would get 70+ for 2 or 3 days in a row.  Those days are gone though!  And yes, I believe I was in 23 ft.  Good luck and maybe I'll see ya out there. 

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:54 PM »
Yup...some days you catch 'em, some days you don't.  One of my high school buddies is home and called tonight so I guess we're going to try for some gills & crapps tomorrow, but may try the 17-mile pond (gogebic) on Sat. and/or Sun.  Let me know if they're bitin' if you get out there tomorrow.  thanks!

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 06, 2009, 08:52 AM »
Fished yesterday afternoon/evening, caught 3 crappies, 5 perch, and two eyes. not a bad afternoon.  The crappies were a nice suprise I haven't caught any out there in few years.  The lake has quite a bit of slush in spots, if the the temps reach what is forcasted today and this weekend I expect it to get worse.  I punched 2 holes under my permanent late yesterday afternoon and immediately and had a 10" moat around the shack.  Hopefully we will get some cold weather again after this warm up to set everyting up nice and tight for the rest of the season. 

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 06, 2009, 11:10 AM »
I'm shocked that I'm not seeing more reports on pike on this lake. When I fish Gogebic at the end of May, I can't hardly keep pike off of the line while I'm trolling for walleye.

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2009, 12:45 PM »
Seriously, I've only caught 2-3 pike all winter, I seem to catch quite a few more in the summer though.

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 07, 2009, 07:40 PM »
Tried down near the south end this afternoon/evening...very slow down that way.  Saw a couple lookers on the graph, but no takers.  Other guys down there had same results.  Anybody else having better luck?  May try another area towards the north end tomorrow. Can't do any worse, that's for sure  :-\

Offline fishhooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:24 PM »
Tried just north of the county line off the east shore this afternoon/evening.  Same results as yesterday, but saw a few more 'lookers' on the graph.  Tried two different color jigs tipped with waxie/wiggler and we had suckers out on the tip-ups...but nothing would hit.  Am I missing the magic lure or something  ???  I expected at least some action with the full moon on the horizon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.