Author Topic: copper harbor ice  (Read 8881 times)

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
copper harbor ice
« on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:16 AM »
does anyone know the ice conditions in copper harbor?
da splake chaser

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: copper harbor ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:06 AM »
We were thinking you'd give us the report since your always up that way!  ;D

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:14 AM »
http://www.copperharbor.org/
East camera is only working, but looks like ice if you ask me!

Offline larbut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Was up there yesterday...walked to the marina. Ice is out past docks but is not safe. Couple more days if the wind does not blow it out.

Offline finnspoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:49 PM »
was up fanny hooe this afternoon, caught one around 4:30 or 5, 15 inch. comin down the hill, harbor ice still looked sketchy. hopefully a few days to a week with the right weather it'll be fishable

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Hoping to make the trip to the harbor on saturday from chassell. Thats if the updates keep rolling in to see how the ice is. I'm not too scared to walk on a inch or two. Done it before.

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:10 AM »
be very cautious on less than 3-4 inches of ice on the harbor. there is lots of current and what might be a "safe" 3-4 inch area could only be 1-2 inches 20 feet away.
da splake chaser

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2011, 03:46 PM »
any reports of the ice today?

Offline finnspoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:18 PM »
went back to fanny hooe tonight didnt look at lake ice but fanny hooe was a good 10 to 12 inches where we were, after drilling two holes with the manual auger, i was more than ready to take a seat. 1 bite but no fish on the ice tonight. no people out either... a bad day fishin is better than a good day at work...

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:20 PM »
went back to fanny hooe tonight didnt look at lake ice but fanny hooe was a good 10 to 12 inches where we were, after drilling two holes with the manual auger, i was more than ready to take a seat. 1 bite but no fish on the ice tonight. no people out either... a bad day fishin is better than a good day at work...

FS--How much snow would you say was on the ice?
Chris Raymond

Offline bmbiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:09 AM »
keep us posted, i might drive up there after class today and give her a look, got some time to get out there if there's ice this weekend. Actually just looked at webcam from the east end and there is either ice or heavy slush on that end so the west could be good to go.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:25 PM »
keep us posted, i might drive up there after class today and give her a look, got some time to get out there if there's ice this weekend. Actually just looked at webcam from the east end and there is either ice or heavy slush on that end so the west could be good to go.

This is what i was thinking. I hope its all good to go by saturday. Or at least part of it.

Offline finnspoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2011, 03:00 PM »
CR sorry for the late post, theres about 4 to 5 inches? of snow maybe on top of the ice at fanny hooe, got one bite last night about 4:30 no fish though, a guy got 3 splakers around 2:30 he said.

Offline finnspoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2011, 03:04 PM »
by the looks of the copper harbor cam, id say theres gotta be some safe ice towards the marina, think ill head up sunday and check for sure

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:44 PM »
CR sorry for the late post, theres about 4 to 5 inches? of snow maybe on top of the ice at fanny hooe, got one bite last night about 4:30 no fish though, a guy got 3 splakers around 2:30 he said.
  No worries.  Thanks for the update.  Might be there in the morning depending upon my partner and his thoughts on the blow that's coming our way.   
Chris Raymond

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2011, 04:19 AM »
fished on the harbor on friday the 14th, 4-5 good inches of ice off the 10th street dock out maybe 250 feet then it goes to 2-3 inches. there was enough to walk all the way across but you had to be careful when you got on the other side as it was 2 inches at best. there was 5 of us fishing and there was only one fish caught.
da splake chaser

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2011, 03:14 PM »
fished on the harbor on friday the 14th, 4-5 good inches of ice off the 10th street dock out maybe 250 feet then it goes to 2-3 inches. there was enough to walk all the way across but you had to be careful when you got on the other side as it was 2 inches at best. there was 5 of us fishing and there was only one fish caught.

Saturday the 15th, straight across from 10th street dock, about 4 inches of decent ice. After moving straight across from the 10th street dock (being 100 yards away from open water), we were there for about half hour and guys behind me and my cousin drew are warning us saying there is ice breaking off and its getting closer to us. They said they could see the tent we were in moving up and down. We continued to fish for about 10 minutes and heard a couple loud pops in the ice. So i get out and realize the open water is now about 30 yards from us. We quickly throw all of our stuff in the sled and run off the ice. We get back up to my car and I asked drew where the spud was. He said i thought you grabbed it??? Well we left it out there and as we walk out onto the dock its starting to bust up and drew climbs off the dock and goes sprinting for the spud, as he was running i could see the ice moving up and down. He grabbed it and ran back. Within 10 minutes of getting the spud, where we were fishing it was floating ice sheets. Oh yeah, we didn't see or catch anything but it was a good time to say the least!  ;D

Offline Segrat1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2011, 03:21 PM »
Never for a spud buddy, never.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2011, 03:22 PM »
But it was my buddies and it was a $60 spud! We like the adrenaline rush so it was worth it!!

Offline Segrat1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Whatever. Spuds are cheap. Throwed a few through thin ice and never looked back. Someone would play hell explaining to a family about loosing someone over a spud. Could ruin a good outing forever. You guys were lucky.....today.

Offline PikkuJussi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:02 PM »
Chase,  you guys are lucky!!!  By the way, I also think you are nuts.  To go out on that thin of ice and knowing it is breaking up and still go out there,  you guys just are not thinking.   JMHO,  John

Offline Wall-I-dude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:25 PM »
Father lives in Copper Harbor and has good view of the harbor.  Today on the 16th there was no safe ice, but was making.  The wind cleared everything out that there was on the marina end the last couple of days.

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:01 PM »
wednesday the 19th   no safe ice in the harbor, big floating chunks. maybe by saturday it will freeze back together if no wind.
da splake chaser

Offline finnspoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:36 PM »
any safe ice reports in the harbor yet?

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2011, 01:07 PM »
went up today (22nd). a little bit up safe ice on far west end, but it was really windy so i dont imagine it will last.
da splake chaser

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:51 AM »
anybody fish on sunday?????????
da splake chaser

Offline The Old Mud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Any reports on the ice in copper harbor?
Ross Rinkinen
The Old Mud

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:20 AM »
we fished all day wednesday on the harbor.  went out through the marina on west end but we were able to cross harbor and move eastward a long ways. ice was good (4-5) should be able to cross over from 10th street dock friday or saturday if no wind.
da splake chaser

Offline larbut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:43 AM »
How was the fishing?

Offline yooperland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:58 PM »
Fished in the harbor for a few hours this afternoon. Walked across to Hunter's Point from the 10th street dock, although the ice wasn't very thick. Caught 4. Bring your spud and use caution.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.