Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 536723 times)

Offline Stiks32

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #3480 on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:07 PM »
Spirit was solid. 3-4" of milky over 2-3" of clear ice. Bite was slow tho. Caught a few small perch in 4 hours of fishing.

Offline teamcoco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3481 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:21 AM »
Thoughts on lower vs upper twin? Advantages to each? Fished upper twin a few days ago but it was really slow and seemed slow for everyone out there.

(Btw, last I was out on coco there was a lot of open water but 5 ish inches of ice in some places. Not consistent enough thickness for me to want to be out there)

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #3482 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:03 PM »
Spirit was solid. 3-4" of milky over 2-3" of clear ice. Bite was slow tho. Caught a few small perch in 4 hours of fishing.

Did you go to the main launch where you go through town and down to the lake? Or did you go on Nautical Loop Rd to the Maiden Rock access?

I know some of you don't think that posting where the fish are but, Kokanee are a schooling fish and the more baits in the water the better. The limit is 25 there to control the Kokanee population so they get bigger, they also planted chinook in there to thin the population.
Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline waltermaurer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3483 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:19 PM »
Rose Lake has open water and skim ice.  Hauser has good ice and people are fishing.  Upper and Lower Twin have good ice and people are fishing both.  Fernan has thin ice at pull outs, but people are fishing inside the power line on the West end.
Fernan under the power line with spheres (not the power line by west dock):  4" ice thirty yds off east shore, increasing to 8" towards middle of lake.  One of the best fishermen I know got skunked yesterday in over 6 hrs (his buddy caught 8 perch), so i felt OK when I got a 9.5" and 8" perch in the 2 late-afternoon hrs I was there.  HOWEVER:  I got skunked today  ??? :  only 2 bites in 4 hrs, tried lots of holes.  Yesterday's expert and a guy today used their electronics to see fish on the bottom which would rise to the bait but not bite.  Same behavior I saw on Upper Twin last Saturday and Monday (note: the handful of upper twin perch I caught were 4"-6" pike bait).  Looking forward to trying Avondale, although my records from last Jan-Feb showed that the panfishing wasn't that great either. 

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3484 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:28 AM »
Fished Spirit today plenty of ice over 4'' clear some frozen slush on top with some water on top where our holes had let water come on there. Kokanee were few and far between, maybe because the chinook would stay away. 4 of us landed 8 and lost several more. Nothing big enough to keep, 14''-17'' but fun to catch or lose. Did anyone fish Lower Twin or Mirror?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3485 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:19 AM »
Fished avondale with a friend we kept a 21"rainbow  and with 8 tipup/jawjackers plus our 2 jigging rod(10 lines altogether)  we land well over 2dozen trout had one break off and had a lot of bites, the bite slowed down a lot after 1pm
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Stiks32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3486 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:34 PM »
Did you go to the main launch where you go through town and down to the lake? Or did you go on Nautical Loop Rd to the Maiden Rock access?

This time I went by the main launch. There were plenty of tracks on both ends however. I normally go to nautical loop if I'm targeting Kokes, but this time I was going for trout/perch.

Offline Fishnfire1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3487 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Fish lower twin from about 7 a.m. to noon plenty of ice,plenty of Fish but they just would not bite. The kokes  were coming in thick but they just weren't hungry I guess.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3488 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Can I ask what setup you were trying for the kokanee?

Offline Fishnfire1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3489 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Silver spoon with a small orange glow hook about 4 inches below the spoon with white corn. (Usually use maggots as well but I didn't have any that morning)
Also tried a Silver bead chain the with same hook setup. The Kokanee would come in and they were either biting super super light or just bumping into my lure.

sihlms391

« Reply #3490 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Maybe we will get lucky and Hayden will freeze over. 

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3491 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:01 PM »
Thanks to everyone that reported on conditions and what they were catching. It really helps to know what was being caught or not caught and on what.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3492 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Can I ask what setup you were trying for the kokanee?

I talked to a guy that fishes for kokes a lot one day on Lower Twin and he had several rods all with the same heavy spoon on bottom with a couple of hand tied flies with dark bodies and horse hair collars at the hook eye tie and all tied onto the main line with short leader of a couple inches above the weighted spoon.  I do not remember if the lower weight had hooks.  Probably #12 hooks on flies.  Probably put a single kennel of corn or maggots on flies.   

Offline teamcoco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3493 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Fished upper twin for less than 2 hours today, lots of little nibbles but only caught one little perch and a little bluegill on jig heads tipped with worms

Offline flavescens123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3494 on: Feb 06, 2019, 02:10 PM »
Anyone fish Shepherd near Sandpoint? My dad used to take me to Shepherd and Gambel for a weekend in the summer for big crappies and big perch. That wa a lot of years ago and I'm sure times have changed, but I'd like to do it again for 'Old-Times-Sake'.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3495 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:54 PM »
Shepard has tiger muskies which usually means the panfish are bigger because they thin them out.  Go drill one of them and see how you do.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3496 on: Feb 06, 2019, 11:03 PM »
Almost forgot to mention.  There is a big perch tourney on Diamond Lake, WA this weekend. That is just south of Newport,Wa and Old Town, ID.  Sign-up at the boat launch at 7 am.  Big perch by weight wins the contest and half the entry fees of $20 per angler.  The rest goes to a local youth charity.  Big trout wins a prize of some sort.  That is all I know from sign at launch and the anglers I talked to on lake.  I caught a couple of nice trout and some big perch of 10 inches or so this afternoon.  Call 509-447-2035 for more info. 
Tourney is Sat Feb 9th at 7am.

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3497 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Fernan is up and running finally. 4 inches of ice throughout. Parked and walked acrossed the middle yesterday. Bite was slow but was able to snag a dozen or so nice sized perch by the end of the day. Perch wouldn't touch anything besides a pheasant tail bead headed nymph with a single maggot.

Offline IcekiddKt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3498 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:09 AM »
Anyone checked out bronze bay lately?

Offline TwoBucketBruce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3499 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Fernan is up and running finally. 4 inches of ice throughout. Parked and walked acrossed the middle yesterday. Bite was slow but was able to snag a dozen or so nice sized perch by the end of the day. Perch wouldn't touch anything besides a pheasant tail bead headed nymph with a single maggot.

S.moyer, were you on the west end near the boat launch? What depth were the perch?

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3500 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:01 PM »
S.moyer, were you on the west end near the boat launch? What depth were the perch?

Negative, we parked at a pullout halfway down to the East end Lilly pads. The ice is good throughout.

Offline IcekiddKt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3501 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Went to spirit lake,Bronze bay 3-4” of clear.I had a few fish on the electronics but no bites. 😩

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3502 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:32 PM »
Heading up  from  Clearwater  valley. Going to the chain lakes.  If the  ice ain't right PLEASE give me a holler. ........... long drive if the ice ain't right

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3503 on: Feb 09, 2019, 03:38 AM »
Plenty of ice on those lakes. The issue might be the depth of snow to be trudging through! Good luck, and give us a report!

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3504 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Went to Thompson 1 1/2 inches of ice got wet feet. Checked medicine stomped through the ice. Got wetter feet

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3505 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:35 PM »
Fished mirror today from 7:00-12:30. The ice was 10”, 4 was clear and 6 was white. We were in 60 fow and caught two limits of Kokanee and released about a dozen more that weren’t quite big enough to keep. The fish we kept were fairly small in the 8-10” range. They were biting anywhere from 40’ to 5’  the one around 5’ we could see down the hole which was pretty neat.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3506 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:23 PM »
Went to Thompson 1 1/2 inches of ice got wet feet. Checked medicine stomped through the ice. Got wetter feet
Rose Lake has open water and skim ice.  Hauser has good ice and people are fishing.  Upper and Lower Twin have good ice and people are fishing both.  Fernan has thin ice at pull outs, but people are fishing inside the power line on the West end.

This is what I wrote about Rose which is the upper most lake on the chains on Jan 31st.  Too bad you did not see it and I did not see you post.  How is the southern end of the Coeur d'alene or Benewah?

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3507 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:32 PM »

This is what I wrote about Rose which is the upper most lake on the chains on Jan 31st.  Too bad you did not see it and I did not see you post.  How is the southern end of the Coeur d'alene or Benewah?

Rose has 2-3 inches but it’s layered. Benewah just froze over last week and S end of the Lake is similar. Cave has 3-4, I imagine more in the bay, but wasn’t able to check cause people were there fishing, so it must be alright. Black lake has 3 inches. Haven’t checked Killarney, but it might have more being tucked away. Heard similar reports about Thompson as previously reported. Water is a lot lower everywhere this year on the chain lakes.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3508 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:48 PM »
I heard the lowered the lake do to doing sewer repair on a camp ground somewhere down there I think Harrison area
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline cocolallakid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3509 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:38 AM »
Tried Sunnyside yesterday for about 2 hrs nothing bit. Was out as far as the island and it's only 1.5 fow. Ice varied from 6-7" in spots and only 2" in others so I did not do any exploring. Checked fry creek on my way home and it is totally dried up with no safe ice over fishable water. They really dropped the lake down this year. I'll be surprised if we ever get solid ice fishing on pol again in the future if they keep dropping it so low. Think I'm gunna explore a new lake today and try spirit for kokes. I'll keep yalls updated

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.