The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Wilhelm  (Read 13016 times)

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Wilhelm
« on: Jan 12, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Hi guys, if anyone happens  around the lake mid-week and could be kind enough to give me a ice report I would appreciate it. With the temps being what there suppose to be I'm hoping to get out within the next week and half. I'll probably be checking Friday and if I do I will give a report.

Thanx in advance!   :tipup: :tipup:
How much ice do you need?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: Lake Wilhelm
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2007, 02:58 PM »
hey fm is that next friday or today? if we get some more sno up there will take a look see its r--ning here     mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:16 PM »
Hey 1MOFISH that would be next Friday. Hopefully those temps that Accu weather is forecasting holds up. Shouldn't take long with temps down around 15 at night and not above freezing during the day. :tipup:

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:36 PM »
great last year i found ice at woodcock and wilhelm nobody was talking about  mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:29 PM »
I drove by Wilhelm today after work (Wishful thinking).  The local farm ponds in Sandy Lake don't even have a skim over them yet.  That rain strom up here last week really hurt the water temp.  I will keep my eye on it!!!!!!!!!!     I would guess somewhere around the 23- 24 of Jan
[]

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:06 PM »
Thanx for the report velcro, didn't figure anything at this time but once it locks up shouldn't take long. ;D

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2007, 03:38 AM »
Thanx for the report velcro, didn't figure anything at this time but once it locks up shouldn't take long. ;D
yes thankx weather man says only cold air will be north of pgh thats you guys  i'm prayin    mofish

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2007, 11:04 PM »
This rain is killing me!!!!!
[]

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2007, 07:41 AM »
Hoping those low temps hold up starting Monday night, Let us all pray. Would be nice to get some ice time this season!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:09 AM »
Hoping those low temps hold up starting Monday night, Let us all pray. Would be nice to get some ice time this season!
if i didnt know better i'd start building an ark. if all this rain was snow it would be up to our knees,on them i need to be.       mofish

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Amen to that mofish. Amen to that.

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2007, 06:33 PM »
3/4 of an inch of rain water is a lot of rain water to cool down!!!!   Hopefully Wilhelm has the dam wide open!!!  I just hope to have a skim by the 20th now.  Unfortunately it looking more and more that are days of ice fishing are getting further and further away!!!  Maybe Dec of 2007 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
[]

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2007, 06:51 PM »
Come on velcro have some faith! Low temps mostly in the teens at night then shave another 3-5 degrees for being in the valley. My concern would be the wind and the snow at this point. Regardless Ill be out checking things this weekend. If not Wilhelm hopfully Mosquito or Sugar Lake by late next week. Was wondering what you think approx. water temp. would be right now. Last year when I was fishing Wilhelm the temp. in the lake was holding around 41 degrees. :tipup:

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2007, 03:32 AM »
a little snow today is good chill it down block the wind it will make ice tomorrow if all goes right  next 3 nights teens   boy am i ready   i hear sugar good lake for dem mooooskis  keepin the faith      mofish

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:15 AM »
Yea 1mofish, There calling for a total of 4-6 inches of snow. I guess its a good thing we dont have a thin layer yet although it would of been nice to have 6 inches by now. Im sooooo ready!!!! :tipup:

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2007, 02:03 PM »
maybe we need to plan a wilhelm get together been fishin there for 20 years   no stranger to fergies counter :o   mofish

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2007, 03:02 PM »
That sounds like a plan MOFISH, I haven't been fishing it anywhere that long but its such a nice lake to fish. I generally fish off the 3 post area towards the dam but Ive learned you have to be so carefull because of all the springs. Generally during first ice I'm drilling holes all the out due to lack of people around. It seems once you locate the fish your golden, although I have never seen fish so finicky at times. Its amazing what you see on a camera. ;D

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2007, 03:43 PM »
i have fished 3 posts once usually fish park road  i'm a meat hunter lookin for the big bass and crappies. fished donallies farm area good spot for crappies in the cribz heard the stumps good late in the year dream about the spot across from launch 1 its a really fishy spot if it stays this way  might take a look sunday or monday unless i hear different    thankx may GOD bless us      mofish

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2007, 04:02 PM »
I plan on taking a ride down there Saturday, Ill keep ya posted. Not real familiar with the lake and the different spots. Ive heard of the place off of launch 1 and the stumps but not the other. Ive done pretty well where I generally fish, your right the fish arnt huge most times but generally keepers with some nice ones mixed in. Like I said, generally so few people around so I fish the area I know best. I'm from the Erie area and I'm a stone throw away from the bay but we just haven't been getting the ice to get out on any consistent basis. When it does freeze to the channel the perchin can be spectacular!

Offline Bull Lifter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:33 PM »
how is fishing off the pier right now? i heard the barbots were/are hitting..alittle perch action? my buddy just told me over the phone but i forget when he said that was going on....

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:16 PM »
how is fishing off the pier right now? i heard the barbots were/are hitting..alittle perch action? my buddy just told me over the phone but i forget when he said that was going on....
They were slamming the burbot off the south Pier for quite awhile but with the weather finally turning colder most of the Pier fishing will be done due to ice on the walkway. Last week I heard they were catching some nice size perch off the dock and Holland street.

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:30 PM »
Its 18 in Franklin so I would guess about 15 at Wilhelm with just a dusting of snow.  I'm planning to check the surface water in the morning before work I'll let you guys know what I find out.  Maybe ice isn't as far off as I once thought.  This year has been an emotional roller coaster so far!!! ??? ??? ???
[]

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:33 PM »
Come on velcro have some faith! Low temps mostly in the teens at night then shave another 3-5 degrees for being in the valley. My concern would be the wind and the snow at this point. Regardless Ill be out checking things this weekend. If not Wilhelm hopfully Mosquito or Sugar Lake by late next week. Was wondering what you think approx. water temp. would be right now. Last year when I was fishing Wilhelm the temp. in the lake was holding around 41 degrees. :tipup:

This just a guess 40-43 range!!! I'm checking in the morning!!!
[]

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:06 PM »
18 degrees in Sandy Lake at 8:00am.The lake down by the dam 1/4 of the way skimmed over but by afternoon the sun was still hitting it at 2:45 and there was only some spotty shore ice.  NO sign of ice down by the stumps, I thought that was a little odd.   The water looks high down at the Game land parking area by the stumps maybe that why.  There were deer tracks on the concrete dock on launch 1 this morning, its nice to see at least a couple deer made it through the PA slaughter house this year.
[]

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:11 PM »
Thanx for the report Velcro, hopfully see something better this weekend. Suppose to be down in low teens again tonight. You said there was skim down by the dam? How much?

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Not a whole bunch, just about 1/4 to half way across the lower section down by the dam. But differently a step in the right direction. I swing by tommorrow morning and see what it looks like.
[]

Offline fishin madman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:30 PM »
Not a whole bunch, just about 1/4 to half way across the lower section down by the dam. But differently a step in the right direction. I swing by tommorrow morning and see what it looks like.
Thanx Ill be watching for your report, I dont know whats worse having the warm weather and waiting for the cold or having the cold waiting for the ice.  :-\

Offline Bull Lifter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2007, 09:08 PM »
Id definetly say having cold weather and waiting for ice haha cuase its way closer to being able to fish on the ice then not even being close... ;)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2007, 03:28 AM »
thankx guys anyone other lakes skimmin over up there   mofish

Offline fly_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frozen holes are no good!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2007, 09:33 AM »
With all the rain and warm temps the water temp was up in the 40's. The reason why the stumps had no skim ice is because of the high water. There is a channel that runs through there and the water is moving pretty good. It is going to be a good while before we are fishing Wilhelm. They are call for pretty high winds Friday and Saturday. That isn't going to help our cause by any means.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.