The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 8892 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2020, 06:58 AM »
I had to take a day off from work, but got out on 5" of ice in NEPA on Friday. Slow bite, but didn't get the skunk!  ;)

That makes 8 trips so far for the season. Hope to be back out there soon.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RepGerg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:40 AM »
SWPA is tough after a great 2019 was really excited about 2020, I will drive north for a solid 4” lake I feel mid Feb we will get some opportunities.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2020, 11:44 AM »
Been out 4 or 5 times this year.  Will drive 2 hours to Hills Creek to get on safe ice or if I'm really needing a fix, will go to Black Moshanon.  We just need a few days of really cold weather and will be on many more lakes.  Don't put your stuff away yet.  Nez

Offline DeSotoJoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2020, 12:38 PM »
New to the community. Been ice fishing with a family friend and bought a bunch of gear with him today. I'm hoping to get up to Sayers lake a few times if we get some decent ice!

Offline gww110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2020, 05:03 PM »
Don't give up; middle of feb. into middle of march should have good ice!!😁

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2020, 05:21 PM »
forcast for feb temps below ice is coming

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2020, 06:29 PM »
Don't give up; middle of feb. into middle of march should have good ice!!😁
Sounds Great to me. March is the best perch fishing  :icefish:

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:00 PM »
Headin north tomorrow capt I hope the infro I was told on tobyhanna was good may try gouldsboro too. A/P  :tipup:

Offline crappieman2380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2020, 05:24 PM »
Not giving up quite yet, but getting ready to wave the white flag. This winter has sucked so far. Local lake made it with a layer of ice through last weekend, but it hasn't been cold enough to form much new ice. Still looks like that sickly gray color. Forcast looks like crap for building ice. The weatherman is always wrong, so why can't he be wrong about all of these warmer temps. Blah....

Offline Bull gill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2020, 09:35 PM »
I'm losing hope fast, next 10 days for NW PA :'(

Offline barch7

• IceShanty Rookie
  • gulkanariver
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2020, 01:44 AM »
What kind of feeble winter is this?  I certainly don't believe in Global Warming;  this winter must just be an anomaly that occurs periodically. Well, we still have February and March. A few years ago, I remember fishing through the ice at the end of March.  I don't really think we'll go through a whole winter without safe ice,  it's gonna happen sometime before winter is over.  Just a little bit of time on the ice is better than none at all.

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2020, 07:49 AM »
The record high temp for this day was 74 in 1946 an the low 7 in 2019 it still looks bleak but we may get to fish up north. Not ready to get the boat out yet . Stay safe A/P  :tipup:

Offline Unclejoestuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2020, 07:59 PM »
I think this all my fault I bought 10 new tip ups from 40 up in October.

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2020, 08:26 PM »
It might be mine. I bought a new one man flip over.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2020, 10:42 PM »
It really sucks if you live in the far Southeast! Probably fish tomorrow but I'll have to travel over 200 mi. to do so. At least in the Northeast you have some options.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:14 AM »
It really sucks if you live in the far Southeast! Probably fish tomorrow but I'll have to travel over 200 mi. to do so. At least in the Northeast you have some options.
Good luck Fred. I feel your pain. However I can't see  driving that far for a day trip. Just to stand on some ice to fish. I would rather wait and drive that distance to catch flounder in the summer ! 

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Not only have I thrown in the towel . I washed it folded it and put it away

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2020, 09:01 AM »
Wow all this talk about throwing the towel, I'm so glad I live in Maine ice fishing is my all-time favorite pastime don't get me wrong I love open water but something about ice fishing just has me hooked, all year I can't wait for ice it's always on my mind. So I honestly feel for you guys out there not on ice I couldn't do it, I can't be the only guy out there who would trade open water for ice anyday, keep the faith don't throw in the towel so soon. I know it can be a pain to take time off and travel if that's what I had to do to get on ice I'd seriously consider moving north!

Chute82

« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2020, 05:04 PM »
I was just outside and saw a brown bat flying around my yard...you know it’s warm when a brown bat is flying around on 1-31-20 in NW Pa

Offline jdfoxpro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dorothy
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2020, 05:45 PM »
Just got done cleaning a 5 gal bucket of fish, pickerel 2 -24 ". 1- 23" , trout up to 15 " and more gills and perch then I'd like to clean . Ice was a good 6 to 7 " was making ice in the hole all day.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2020, 05:23 PM »

I did “THE CIRCUIT” the last 2 days. Spent all day at my daughter’s swim meet yesterday in Scranton(1 hr drive), so took my fishing stuff and drove 45 min to Prompton for some night fishing. Bite was off, so only fished 6pm to 10. Drove the hour+ home to charge batteries and make a couple pots of coffee for thermoses and get something to eat. Watched some H.S. Wrestling on TV to stay awake, then drove back up to Upper Woods (1 hr+) at 3am. Fished 4:30 to 10:30 this morning. Friends think I’m NUTS, but gotta fish while we got safe ice! 😜
Where's the FISH?!

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2020, 05:36 PM »
I did “THE CIRCUIT” the last 2 days. Spent all day at my daughter’s swim meet yesterday in Scranton(1 hr drive), so took my fishing stuff and drove 45 min to Prompton for some night fishing. Bite was off, so only fished 6pm to 10. Drove the hour+ home to charge batteries and make a couple pots of coffee for thermoses and get something to eat. Watched some H.S. Wrestling on TV to stay awake, then drove back up to Upper Woods (1 hr+) at 3am. Fished 4:30 to 10:30 this morning. Friends think I’m NUTS, but gotta fish while we got safe ice! 😜
Yea am wishing I woulda made a pocono's road trip this weekend. With the forecast for this week. Its lookin iffy for the foreseeable future. I didn't get out once this season. I gotta find a buddy to go with !!

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 02, 2020, 07:02 PM »
Well, I did it! I got rid of all my ice fishing gear.
I did it quick and easy.
A 6 minute video will show you how it was done.
Be sure to watch till the end ...
Let me know which of the 4 ways was best!

https://youtu.be/AM_4SLWYi_I
I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish, that I have caught enough fish!

Offline jdfoxpro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dorothy
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2020, 06:37 AM »
Gotta suck it up, all over the normal ice fishing north there has been sketchy ice . South east PA. is the very edge of ice fishing territory , ya on cold years SEPA gets good ice but years like this your gonna have to go north. I just read a news paper article from   "1790 ya 1790 from Schuylkill CO. it was so warm in Jan. that year 70* most days that kids were swimming in the Schuylkill River and Delaware River in Jan. in and around Philadelphia. It,s not global warming, don't get rid of your gear , its just weather and it is cyclical and will be cold again but maybe not this year . We can only hope that life will give us another year to fish on the ice.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:42 AM »
They're calling for 50's the next few days here in central PA.  Looks like we'll be starting from scratch again.  I'm not throwing in the towel yet, but I think I'll spend my free time tinkering with my open water tackle.  Get some reels cleaned and repaired.  Make sure I'm ready for open water.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline appleorangefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 03, 2020, 04:13 PM »
Well, I did it! I got rid of all my ice fishing gear.
I did it quick and easy.
A 6 minute video will show you how it was done.
Be sure to watch till the end ...
Let me know which of the 4 ways was best!

https://youtu.be/AM_4SLWYi_I
I'm in SEPA too, this year you have to make a drive up to the poconos to get any safe ice. Tobyhanna and gouldsboro were good this weekend though, and if you're willing to make the 2 hr drive it's not bad for a whole day of fishing.

Too bad about the warm weather these next few days

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 03, 2020, 06:08 PM »
I'm in SEPA too, this year you have to make a drive up to the poconos to get any safe ice. Tobyhanna and gouldsboro were good this weekend though, and if you're willing to make the 2 hr drive it's not bad for a whole day of fishing.

Too bad about the warm weather these next few days

Thanks for that info. Perhaps I will take a day or two off, if the cold weather returns, and head up to one of those. Never fished them but it might be the only chance I get. (just for the record … I did not really get rid of my stuff. It is still ready to go at a moments notice)
I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish, that I have caught enough fish!

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 03, 2020, 06:45 PM »
Hey #4 was my favorite too! That's why I left it till the very end. Thanks for viewing. ;D

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 04, 2020, 05:33 AM »
all that but you still got the spud bar...…. ;D

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 04, 2020, 05:42 AM »
geez, I went to three different lakes this weekend and ice fished on ice from 4-8". Just gotta make the drive. Heck one guy I know fished Prompton in the evening, camped out over night and fished another lake the next day. If you really wanna do it, then do it. Pick a lake or 2 that's getting reports and make the run up. Bring a friend or 2 for safety... and spud bars.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.