The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Major Upgrades this season  (Read 11770 times)

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Major Upgrades this season
« Reply #60 on: Dec 11, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Back to the original topic  ;) I got a Dakota Lithium Ion battery to replace the lead core on my flasher. What a difference in weight! Supposedly less than half. I just know when I went to put it in my truck last time out (Sun.) the difference was really noticeable.

Offline chuck22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 11, 2019, 02:35 PM »
Both me and my nephew got panoptix for the new season and can’t wait to use it

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 11, 2019, 02:39 PM »
I purchased the new 2nd generation AquaVu HD10i Pro that I checked out at the St. Paul Ice Show.

125 feet of cable instead of the 50 feet on my Revolution Micro 5.

It will get over 8 hours of battery life (Using an Amped Up Lithium 12AH).

This should expand ICE FISHING TV to new places deeper than 50 feet.

Looking forward to it.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 11, 2019, 07:14 PM »
My vexilar flx20 arrived last week. I am also considering buying the shappell fx100. What is your honest opinion on the fx100?

I haven't had any real problems so far. The only thing I would suggest is upgrading the windbreak hinges. They don't hold up very well, cheap metal. I have yet to replace them, I bought material to upgrade them. Overall I'd buy it again. I teetered between getting a 1 man or a 2 man, but not disappointed I got a 1 man.
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 11, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Wanted to go light weight. Thinking about going with the insulated one. It is only a few pounds more for a few more dollars. Thank you for the reply.

Offline Bigtrout131

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 11, 2019, 10:02 PM »
Greetings,

I've been researching Jet Sled modifications over the past few years.  There are a lot of cool mods out there.  I finally put all the research into action last season.  My goal has been to have enclosed storage utilizing the Jet Sled base.  I wanted to be mobile and not need an ATV or Snowmobile to drag this thing around because it is so heavy.  After all the modifications that I have made to this, it is a little heavier than my original intent but I can still drag it around (very easy on ice).  I'm strong enough to get this into the back of my truck with all gear inside, but really its a 2 person job.  I did recently add a tow hitch so that it can be towed with a snowmobile when I go up to Northern Maine for my annual ice fishing trip.  Last year it tipped over on the trail due to dragging it with a rope and half of my gear was spread out over the trail  :(

This is on the Smaller Jet Sled (25" Wide x 54" Long).  I can now put in the following major gear and still have room to spare other miscellaneous supplies.

10" ION-X Ice Auger (Power Head and 10" Drill, Also have enough room if I wanted to bring my 8" drill too)
ION-X Battery bag w/ two batteries
6 Gallon Bucket/Seat
Small Tackle Box (Fits in Back Storage Bin)
Jack Trap Tipups w/ Case (Can also put in probably 8-10 more tipups when I bring my children out)
Marcum Flasher
Propane Heater (Like the Mr. Heater Type)
2-Jig Rods and Case
Propane Lantern w/ extra propane bottles
I also if desired could put in propane camping stove (Smaller one) and a griddle and a few cooking items if desired (Would have to keep it to a minimum, but it could be done)
Handwarmers, Toilet Paper, Bags, Gloves, Hats, Small Tackle Storage Boxes, and numerous miscellaneous necessities. 

With the lid open and hinges placed against the wind, (So the lid doesn't blow shut) I have used this as a good wind break when I want to be mobile and don't want to set up my portable shanty.  On really nice (warmer days) I simply leave the portable shanty in the truck for weight reduction.  Many times I just have my Marcum, Jig Rod and Auger out and I sit on this.  Scoot it right up to a hole, sit on it and jig.  I have one more item coming this week, which is Wear Bars for the jet sled so I don't wear holes in the sled.  (Should be here tomorrow).  Last year I also purchased the 13QT Frabill Magnum Bait Station.  Bait cooler (Has a molded in aerator) and is awesome.  Looks like a normal cooler.  I'd recommend to all ice fisherman.  A little pricey but worth it IMO.

Last year this was started as you can see from pictures below, and this year I added a back storage bin which doubles as my bait cooler shelf.  This is solid, you can sit on it no problem and I'm 275lbs.  I finished this with Gunstock Stain, and 3 coats of Varnish.  I think it came out decent.

As You can tell I'm pumped for some ice fishing.  It's just a waiting game now.  I'm hoping to find some safe shoreline ice this weekend.  It's 26°F as I'm typing this, so there is hope.

Trout Fear Me!

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:21 AM »
Very nice project bigtrout it is thought out very well tight lines bring on da ice...

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 12, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Wanted to go light weight. Thinking about going with the insulated one. It is only a few pounds more for a few more dollars. Thank you for the reply.

I probably should've gone with the insulated version, but no complaints otherwise.
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:11 PM »
Looks like insulated is only 5#more at 42#.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #69 on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:49 PM »
I'm always looking for ways to downgrade.  I'm getting there! ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #70 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Great job BigTrout, looks very nice and you obviously gave it a lot of thought.

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #71 on: Dec 13, 2019, 09:12 PM »
My only "upgrades" for this season is a sleeker "Smitty" sled and another 36" Ice Blues rod in the arsenal!
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 14, 2019, 12:27 PM »

Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 14, 2019, 09:23 PM »
Mr. Charlie
I have that same box. Bought it for holding freshwater trout flys and didn’t like how it held them. Seeing those jigs in it, I’m glad I didn’t toss it. It’s getting repurposed for ice fishing. Thanks for posting.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Yeah but seems to work great. I love being able to see the collection.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 16, 2019, 05:15 PM »
The wife just gave me permission to upgrade my flasher if I sold the two I have now, marcum showdown and marcum LX5I... Just sold the showdown, as soon as the LX5I is sold I think I will have a vexilar 28 on the way.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:56 PM »
What are you asking for the marcum ?
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Chilly Chile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 17, 2019, 06:16 AM »

Some new rabbit hair jigs I'm excited to try out.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 17, 2019, 06:23 AM »
I’ve gotta stop buying things and start fishing things.

Keep yer worms warm!

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 19, 2019, 11:03 AM »
Just got her mostly assembled. Probably never really be "finished" as there is always room for improvement. 7 rod holder in back. Rear caddy is detachable by removing 4 quick pins. Perfect for bait, electronics, and bucket. Was considering a auger rack in rear between caddy and where flip over sits. Maybe a nice flag pole to display a little pride. Pulls like a dream, loaded down pic from 2 weeks ago on 3 night camping trip in northern Minnesota. Need to get on the paint but not to worried. Ready for the pa ice already

Online RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:54 PM »
DANG!  :o  Now that's a PIMPED OUT smitty sled!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Black Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Dec 19, 2019, 04:56 PM »
I have to stop reading this thread. It's giving me the urge to go out and buy something, even though I don't need a thing. Somebody please help me before I order again!!

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 19, 2019, 10:32 PM »
DANG!  :o  Now that's a PIMPED OUT smitty sled!  @)
Thanks, I put a little time into it. Chomping at the bit here and going crazy for some safe ice.  So close now.

Online RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Dec 20, 2019, 12:13 PM »
I got something for an early Christmas present that I will use on the ice, as well as out in the woods.

I pulled the trigger on a Garmin InReach GPS + Satellite communicator. Has an SOS button and can also text from anywhere on the planet using the Iridium Satellite Network.

Figured as much as I am hunting, hiking, backpacking and fishing in areas with sketchy cell service, this will come in handy and at the very least will provide piece of mind.

I clip it to my jacket or pack now every time I go into the “outdoors”(it has a caribiner clip)
I even marked a couple spots on the lake recently with the gps.  ;)

Not cheap, but I needed a better gps anyway, so really I am just paying $12/month for the safety plan.(for texts and SOS) You get 10 (free)texts per month and unlimited preset messages. (And SOS function)

Where's the FISH?!

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 20, 2019, 03:20 PM »
After all these years I finally built my first Smitty!
Cool project and can’t wait to use it!

Keep yer worms warm!

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 20, 2019, 04:27 PM »
I got something for an early Christmas present that I will use on the ice, as well as out in the woods.

I pulled the trigger on a Garmin InReach GPS + Satellite communicator. Has an SOS button and can also text from anywhere on the planet using the Iridium Satellite Network.

Figured as much as I am hunting, hiking, backpacking and fishing in areas with sketchy cell service, this will come in handy and at the very least will provide piece of mind.

I clip it to my jacket or pack now every time I go into the “outdoors”(it has a caribiner clip)
I even marked a couple spots on the lake recently with the gps.  ;)

Not cheap, but I needed a better gps anyway, so really I am just paying $12/month for the safety plan.(for texts and SOS) You get 10 (free)texts per month and unlimited preset messages. (And SOS function)

Nice! Been thinking about one but hate plans and commitment. Be a great piece of mind especially when camping out on ice and the blizzards roll in. There's been a few times I had slight concern.

Online RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Dec 20, 2019, 09:47 PM »
I have the Annual safety plan. It’s a one year commitment at $12/month

You can get the Freedom safety plan. Only 30 day commitment at $15/month but you can suspend at any time. Basically paying only for the months you use it. Activate it when you need it.
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.