The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Promised land  (Read 8990 times)

Offline Prefer9inches

• IceShanty Rookie
Promised land
« on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:50 AM »
Heading up there for the 1st time. Where is the best place to go for parking and ice fishing. Im bringing my 10 year old niece

Offline jto97

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Promised land
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:52 AM »
I'm going today too. Ill be at pickerel point

Offline Uticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2016, 07:02 AM »
What part of PA is that?

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:40 AM »
How much ice is on promised land? Was gonna head up to shohola tomorrow but a little worried about the comments on the other post....

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline edwardfirman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:36 AM »
I was there this morning. Only 3 of us on the lake. Very slow. Only had 6 bites in 3 hours. Caught 1 bluegill,1 bass and 1 pickerel. The other two gents didn't fare much better. Tomorrow should be better

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:44 AM »
I think it is getting a lot more pressure than usual. I was on lower lake on Sat. morning and there were a lot of guys. Stopped up at Pickerel Point on the way home at 10:30 and there were guys all over upper lake. Guys were parked on the side of the road around the point(all parking spaces taken).

I think because it is one of the few areas in the Poconos that has more than 4-5" of ice, everyone is flocking there.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:16 PM »
huh?

I was there saturday and there weren't that many guys. I was there sunday and I only saw 6 other people and most of them left early. I went to the lower lake for the afternoon and I was the only one there. The bite was slow cuz there was back to back high pressure fronts going through. by the end of the weekend the fronts had gone through and the fish started biting again. I was there until after dark. Got my pb gill, 10 1/4".

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Well, it looked like a lot of guys to me. Snow shanty parking lot was full, guys out over there and when I was driving around saw guys over towards Ridgefield? Not to mention pickerel point.

Who knows? Maybe it was just more guys than normal getting out early Sat. before their New Years's Eve plans.  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:58 PM »
I think it is getting a lot more pressure than usual. I was on lower lake on Sat. morning and there were a lot of guys. Stopped up at Pickerel Point on the way home at 10:30 and there were guys all over upper lake. Guys were parked on the side of the road around the point(all parking spaces taken).

I think because it is one of the few areas in the Poconos that has more than 4-5" of ice, everyone is flocking there.

I was at pickerel point saturday the 31st.
Me and my buddy.Spider met us a few minutes later.
We were there right at day break.still a bit dark..fished till 11 am only 2 other guys at pp.
A lot of guys at snowshanty.we did pretty well.only seen 1 suv parked on the side of the road.and it was pulling a trailer.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:59 AM »
it's ok rutt, you just spend too much time hiding on the lower lake chasing stockers... you're not used to the upper lake. That was the normal crowd, seemed a little light to me ;)

:tipup:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:00 AM »
LOL! OK- I'll take your word for it.................... ...................... .....you guys are UPPER LAKE DIEHARDS!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:05 AM »
nope, I have fun on both lakes. heck, I had a better day on the lower on the 1st than I did on the upper the day before... except I didn't ice any perch...

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:27 AM »
When are us guys hitting the Lower Lake????

CowDawg

« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:32 AM »
When are us guys hitting the Lower Lake????

After ruts stockies?   ::)

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:36 AM »
No Buddy.
The Calico and Gills ;)
Rutnutt can keep all those trout. :)

Offline bob3567

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2017, 02:37 PM »
You guys do know that if promised land is crowed you can always take the hike in to Egypt meadows. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:49 PM »
Can you please post some info on Egypt Meadows, I was there years ago but can't remember how to get there.

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:09 PM »
This link should get you to the site with the Promised Land Trail Maps.  This should help you get there.  I haven't hiked into it, only heard old timers talking about how they would have someone drop them off with a canoe during high water off RT 84 and paddle in. 
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/promisedland/index.htm?tab=Maps#Maps

Can you please post some info on Egypt Meadows, I was there years ago but can't remember how to get there.

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:18 PM »
This link should get you to the site with the Promised Land Trail Maps.  This should help you get there.  I haven't hiked into it, only heard old timers talking about how they would have someone drop them off with a canoe during high water off RT 84 and paddle in. 
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/promisedland/index.htm?tab=Maps#Maps

Paddled in from I-84????   LOL That my friend never happened nor could it happen. FT

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Here's the '67 aerial that shows the stream they used to use right when '84 was built.  They could have been full of it, but Pike County has changed a lot with the development and depletion of ground water from the 50s.

http://data.cei.psu.edu/pennpilot/era1970/pike_1969/pike_1969_photos_jpg_200/pike_101069_aqx_5kk_194.jpg

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:41 PM »
Thanks for the link to the map.  It looks like like it's probably a mile or more to get there, I wonder if the fishing is worth the hike?

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:22 AM »
No Buddy.
The Calico and Gills ;)
Rutnutt can keep all those trout. :)

It's a deal, Chez!  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:24 AM »
Thanks for the link to the map.  It looks like like it's probably a mile or more to get there, I wonder if the fishing is worth the hike?

We were just talking about this the other day. I have hiked into Bruce lake, but never Egypt Meadow. I think it would be worth it. Don't think many folks would hike that far. Wouldn't be bad with a couple inches of snow and the smitty sled. Deep snow would be another story................. ..................
Where's the FISH?!

Offline bob3567

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:30 AM »
The link to the map is accurate.  If coming in from 84 heading towards promised land.  It's the first pull off on your left once your off 84.  I'm pretty sure the trail it's self is called Egypt Meadows.  Just stay straight on the trail when you see a split. 

Also if your very athletic and like long hikes.  You can follow the trail past Egypt Meadows and it will take you to Bruce lake.

Personally I've never done well at Bruce but have had many excellent days on Egypt Meadows. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:26 AM »
Yeah a smitty sled would be a must or a trapper's basket.  If there was no snow rig up a set of wheels to the smitty and it'd be a lot easier.  No matter that'd be a spot you want to make it an all day trip.  How long did it take you to get to Bruce Lake?

Offline BUFFORT T JUSTICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICE FISHING 4 EVER!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Smitty Sled is a must i would think.
SHOOT ALL THE BAD GUYS,,LET GOD SORT THEM.

Offline bob3567

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:22 PM »
There is a road that goes back to Bruce lake I'm just not sure if it's open in the winter and to walk it is the long way to go.  Parking at Egypt Meadows is a closer walk.  Google earth says its 1.75 from the parking area for Egypt Meadows I mentioned earlier.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:23 PM »
Any idea how much closer?  Can you drive to Egypt Meadows?

Offline charlijones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:35 PM »
No vehicles allowed on those trails to either lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.