The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Who keeps?  (Read 4539 times)

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who keeps?
« Reply #60 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:27 AM »
Reintroduced to ice fishing last year. Been almost 50 years since I went with my dad. Now hooked on it. So far I have not kept anything. Have got some nice Rainbows and LMB and slime rockets. Have not got into the gills and perch which I would keep a mess to eat.
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline gallitzinice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 05, 2016, 10:39 AM »
Obey the law.  Do not take more than you will use.  Enjoy.  Most of us have personal standards that we follow that limit us more than regulations because of tastes and conservation beliefs.  However, there is no valid reason for criticizing others because their personal standards are different, as long as the law is followed and fish are not wasted.  Personal standards are just that: personal. 

Offline digdog23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 14, 2016, 01:19 PM »
I would be curious to note how many hardwater fisherman keep many fish in the summer months as the taste is totally different.  I do keep fish for eating maybe three months out of a year.  In open water, many species of fish like LM bass and crappie are targeted specifically during their spawning cycle.  Who is to say which technique has a larger negative impact? 

Offline panfishnut51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 14, 2016, 01:31 PM »
with my eyesight I waste too much meat to fillet them so ice or open water everything I catch goes back......sure miss fresh fish though

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:29 PM »
Kept every good fish that I got out of the hole today on muddy creek that total was zero. But will keep and eat till water gets warm. Them switch activities to golf and ground hogs. And no I don't keep them

Offline rlusk3030

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #65 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:34 PM »
For what it's worth. i saw some people were interested in a count. I keep what I will eat while its fresh during the winter I don't like having to freeze fish just a personal preference.  During the summer I usually don't keep fish but that's not to say if somebody wants to have a fish fry I won't participate.

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:38 PM »
I used to keep trout, throughout the spring and summer,, not anymore, I target panfish,mostly thru the ice.. but need to put some springtime crappie fishing time in..I think they are best thru the ice tho.. I  also need to look up a video on how to fillet a pickerel... was pretty slick at filleting trout at one time... now would have to think about what I was doin... panfish are the way to go... . ...walleye delicious too. (but don't know much bout fishing for them)...I also will give a batch or two to a lady I work with, who misses  fish more than she misses her ex-husband.

Offline panfishnut51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 15, 2016, 04:46 AM »
 ;Di think that's how 95% of the exes feel

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 15, 2016, 10:09 AM »
Out of a whole year I'll keep 2 or 3 walleye, a 6ish perch and maybe 5-10 trout (my dad loves trout, I am not a fan). I fish a pretty decent amount and although I enjoy my time on the water I do not enjoy cleaning, cooking or the taste of fish.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 15, 2016, 10:57 AM »
I gotta say I don't like cleaning but sure like the eating ;D ;D

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #70 on: Feb 15, 2016, 11:02 AM »
I gotta say I don't like cleaning but sure like the eating ;D ;D
ya my mister twister   "CHAINSAW"   is boggin down got a new 9 inch blade didnt help think the blades are slippin anyone know if the twister got a 50000 fish warranty? any ideas?
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 15, 2016, 02:48 PM »
37  today will get introduced to Mr Twister later tonight. Great bite till 2 pm.

Offline StoneCat24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 15, 2016, 03:15 PM »
Most def keep but depends on species targeted and places your fishing. Just dislike the ones who keep just to keep and walk with a catch. Ice fisherman barely has this happen but soon we will see trout killed for no reason. Just an opinion. Love the site you guess are great and happy to be a member.. keep on fishing!!!
What are you going to do,just stand there and worry about it? IF that's the card you're dealt that's the card you play.Just pick up the slack and keep on going.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Captian54 was a great day on the ice with you and your son...here is a picture of some of your fish....img]
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:18 PM »
Captian54 was a great day on the ice with you and your son...here is a picture of some of your fish....(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)img]

KOV, you left a little extra in your img link. I fixed it in my quote.

When's the fish fry? Mmmm just need a bun.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Feb 16, 2016, 06:28 AM »
Thanks Kov. Nice fishing with you. I think Wednesday and Thursday's we'll be ok. I'm going to clean 37 slabs and bulls this morning.

Offline walikilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:13 AM »
Thanks Kov. Nice fishing with you. I think Wednesday and Thursday's we'll be ok. I'm going to clean 37 slabs and bulls this morning.
With all the rain and snow in Beaver County your go to lake will be in real bad shape. Don't drill to many holes at one time. Might get sloppy fast. " No fish is worth dying for. Be safe."

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:48 AM »
Kov,you where right I've got a stalker.

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my IG @perfect_drifter412
« Reply #78 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:07 PM »
I'm not a big fish eater myself, but my girlfriend is, so when she gets a hankering I'll keep a few.  Don't really like to keep pan fish unless they're in the double digits,  seems like a lot of work for such a small amount of meat, but I'm probably very inefficient because I don't fillet often.  I slot bass and walleye.  Will only keep Bass from 15-18", anything bigger and you can almost assume that the fish is female.  Anything bigger than 20", it's 99% a female.  Biologically, lakes that contain a higher population percentage of female bass, will have bigger bass on average than a lake that has more males.  Not to mention the quality of the meat degrades as the bass gets older.  For these reasons I see absolutely no point of keeping bass over 20".  However, with that being said, I would never criticize or condemn any fisherman who legally harvests any fish they catch, we all have to pay the same price for licenses and all have a right to the resources.  Just my $0.02
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:04 AM »
Captian54 was a great day on the ice with you and your son...here is a picture of some of your fish....(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)img]
KOV, you left a little extra in your img link. I fixed it in my quote.

When's the fish fry? Mmmm just need a bun.

Some Decent fillets there.  I need to get rid of some shark meat and king mac I'll throw into the fish fry haha.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.