The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: how many carry a spud ?  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: how many carry a spud ?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:48 PM »
I consider tip-ups, bait, and an auger "essential" to land fish. Bring 50 spuds, but no bait or lures, tell me what you land.

Genius question ~ Smart answer is, with 500 pounds of spuds, you'll very likely land when you touch bottom.        :woot:

So, if you try that, I wish you good luck.      ;)2

Good luck this season & may you stay dry.    :roflmao:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:50 PM »
I don't use a wrist attachment if I do fall through I don't want to be attached  to a heavy steel bar. Any thoughts?

Yes sir, best thought is ~ use a spud of solid gold.       ;)2

Thought #2, use some common sense.    :whistle:

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:52 PM »
Ha, down under.     :woot: :roflmao:

Stop littering the bottom ~  use a wrist attachment.      ;)2

It's caveman easy.     ;D

lol, I didn't do it on purpose!  ::)

Actually, I had a strap but it was just like a second thought to grab the spud and expected the ice to be around 4". live and learn.

50 spuds??? no bait or lures??? whaaaat?  I don't know how heavy my diy spud was but I hardly noticed it in my hand as I walked. Prolly why it's at the bottom of a lake, lol! a spud doesn't need to weight much, just have some weight and a sharp enough end... with a wrist strap, definitely a wrist strap!

yeah, caveman easy ;)

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:53 PM »
I don't use a wrist attachment if I do fall through I don't want to be attached  to a heavy steel bar. Any thoughts?

If you're using the spud right, I'd guess that you wouldn't fall through.......

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:01 PM »
I consider tip-ups, bait, and an auger "essential" to land fish. Bring 50 spuds, but no bait or lures, tell me what you land.

Two separate topics here really .....  obviously to land fish then the essentials are fishing gear, bait etc. A spud can be used to chop holes in early ice and chip out frozen tip ups and is definitely not the least bit essential.

I'm sure the OP was referring to the use of a spud bar as a safety device and as far as that goes along with with common sense and a set of picks a spud bar is absolutely an essential item in early ice or certain waters with pressure cracks etc. All of the rods, reels, bait, flashers etc won't help you in the least to determine ice strength. You also read about people drilling their way out which isn't a smart thing to do.

The idea is you throw for every step you take. Ideally you can stand on any ice your spud won't penetrate so if you give it a good whack you can safely step there.

They are dirt cheap - $30 or under at Dick's.

I know i would rather stay on top and not catch fish than hammer fish and go for a swim  ;)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:05 PM »
If you're using the spud right, I'd guess that you wouldn't fall through.......
Chances are if spud goes through ice you are already on iffy ice.

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Two types of people in OP's question. Spud carrier and non-spud carrier. I'm of the non-spud carrier breed.
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:13 PM »
Two types of people in OP's question. Spud carrier and non-spud carrier. I'm of the non-spud carrier breed.
A breed with a death wish.      :woot:

Just stay with/close to others and you'll be fine.   They'll even pull you out, just in case you misstep .    ;)2

Offline NEicebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:14 PM »
Many of us consider it to be absolutely essential!

X2

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:16 PM »

Do you carry picks at least?   Less than ten bucks and a good idea

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:18 PM »
Chances are if spud goes through ice you are already on iffy ice.

I use mine to cut holes, not just check the ice. I bring the auger out once I know every where I want to go will hold me up, but even then until there's a foot or so I still bring the spud if I know there's springs or current or I don't know the pond well.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline Rugg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:20 PM »

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:45 PM »
50  spuds Will make alot of potato salad  ::)

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:45 PM »
never used to carry a spud ,but do alot of river fishin now and always take the spud...ive seen 8 inches of black ice disappear overnight in 10 degree weather because the current changed...that made me a believer in a spud

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:06 PM »
Lost the one I had and bought one last year for the late ice and plan on keeping it with me this year.
Ron

Offline maxsr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:23 AM »
I had one bad experience a long time ago when I asked some guys that were on the ice and fishing how much ice did they have, OH 6 inches the whole lake is safe, so I when on my way got to the area that I wanted to fish, got out the gas auger and started it and about one turn on the blade and it went through I had about 1 maybe 2 inches of ice got out of there as quick as I could went back to the guys and let them know what I thought about their help. They said well you should have checked we weren't out there. So with that I went home and made myself a spud bar and carry it with me until I am sure that the ice is safe and I am sure how thick the ice is when I am going out on any lake. I don't trust word of mouth any more. So if you don't have one make one a piece of pipe and an old chisel welded to the end of the pipe and you are in business.
Maxsr

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:32 AM »
I don't trust word of mouth any more. 
Maxsr

Words to live by there .....  literally!  ;)

I love it when i am out on first ice and someone walks out blindly and asks "how much ice?"  ......   when i answer "at least an inch everywhere" you can usually see them pucker up   :o

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:15 AM »
I have never used one and I have not seen one made for ice in person.but I don't see how I would Carry my digging bar hitting the ice every 2ft as far as I walk sometimes pulling everything and still have enough energy to drill all the holes .is there something I'm missing or are you guys just beasts?

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:30 AM »
I have never seen one made for ice in person but I cant see how I would carry my digging bar and hit the ice every 2ft ,that is  a lot of hits at times.on top of pulling the load I take then drilling all the holes.am I missing something or are you guys just beasts.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:04 AM »
a digging bar is too heavy. A spud for ice has a bit of weight but not enough to be a burden. Like I said, the last one I had was just a 5' piece of 1 1/4" steel pipe. If it was 10# I would be surprised. It was more like carrying a good heavy hiking pole. Worked great opening old holes too. And yes, I'm sure it saved my life that day, or at the least a good dunking in 9ft of water.

Offline fryguy75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:04 PM »
I love my spud bar.  Different areas of lakes can have different ice thickness, and my spud bar has led me away from unsafe conditions on more than one occasion.  It provides me with a little extra comfort and eases my worries when I am trying to enjoy myself fishing  @).
ice...ice...baby

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:10 PM »
All this talk about spuds and not one picture. Come on guys lets see them spuds. :icefish:

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:28 PM »
 I always carry a spud, a thump for every step on early and late ice. Don't have to rely on others that may think if it holds them its safe.
saw a few young guys out on a lake near me a few years back, got to within 50 feet of them and asked how the ice is. They said it must be safe, its holding us. they hadn't set up yet or drilled any holes. I put my spud thru in front of me with one whack, 2 1/2 inches. I said you may want to rethink that as you are over 50 feet of water. They beat feet real quick. Spud, picks and a float suit...... always. We're out there to have fun. Be safe.
Jim K.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #53 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:32 PM »

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:01 PM »
I venture out alone more times than not, and usually at first light (few if any, others around). Always carry a spud and always walk with it. Twice saved me from getting onto very sketchy ice, including yesterday.

I have the quad-chisel, Mille Lacs version by Jiffy.

P.S. "HELLO" to all the PA guys!  ;D

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:35 AM »
hello back at you dizzy, just waiting on the ice here :icefish:

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:06 AM »
This is what I use. Nice and light, so you need to keep a good edge on it. I hike in to a lot of spots, so the heavy steel bars aren't my idea of good. I can go through three inches in one whack, and the wide blade makes for smoother edges if I use it to cut my holes.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1277225

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:16 AM »
cool I have one of them I thought the blade was to big because all the pictures I see have small chisel blades I will be giving it a try here soon.thanks

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:25 AM »
cool I have one of them I thought the blade was to big because all the pictures I see have small chisel blades I will be giving it a try here soon.thanks

Make sure it's sharp. I bevel one side and leave the other flat. Keeping the flat side as the edge of your hole makes for a smoother edge. I also filed a triangular notch out of one end about 1/2" in to give it more bite. If you do drop it in the water, it'll float too!

The big steel bars have narrower blades because they're thicker. If you had a 4" wide blade 1/4" across, it'd take a while to get through the ice with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.