The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Time to lighten up ... as the years increase  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Time to lighten up ... as the years increase
« on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:47 AM »

Hi Team

After almost 60 years ice fishing...  my energy, stamina and recovery speed have declined.   I tried the TB12 method ... but I hate avocados ...and love bacon, beer and brisket..so needed a better alternative to stay in the ice game another 2 - 3 decades.

Let me know your thoughts about my lighten up strategy.  As always, other complimentary thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

#1 - Replaced Jiffy Gas auger with Octane and Nils - dropped over 20lbs
#2 - Upgraded clothing. Eliminated cotton and wool in favor of lightweight, moister wicking under layers like Cabelas Polar Weight, high heat retention middle layers and wind stopper fabrics for outerwear.  Reduced the bulk and weight of vintage clothing and improved comfort.
#3 Eliminated bucket and baskets to hold tip/ups and switched to lightweight expandable backpacks.  Carry on back or load into sled.
#4 Leave the SPUD home in favor of testing ice with drill/auger.  Drilling test holes gives me a better sense of ice strength and consistency.  If the ice is the least bit "unsafe" I don't need to test more.  I still carry ice picks around my neck as insurance.  Although the spud is nostalgic gear ...it's weight I don't need.
#5 Stay with the molded plastic Sled.  While fishing last week met a guy with an awesome looking customized/retrofitted wood and metal sled. Made me think ... I could build that!  But ... decided it would weigh me down.

Less weight, less bulk and less gear lightens the load.  Add the benefit of energy saving clothing and you save energy and lessen fatigue.   Admittedly, these changes won't turn back the clock but may extend ice years.   

If you have other ideas to help the 60 plus generation stay in the game ... drop us a line.

Best
Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Time to lighten up ... as the years increase
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:50 AM »
My suggestion - - have lots of kids and/or grandkids - - and use them  as God intended:" as pack animals.  Problem solved.

Plus, if you take them icefishing with you, you can put out more tip ups.  Win, win!

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2019, 07:36 AM »
My suggestion - - have lots of kids and/or grandkids - - and use them  as God intended:" as pack animals.  Problem solved.

Plus, if you take them icefishing with you, you can put out more tip ups.  Win, win!
Bogtrotter,

your response is priceless ..."use them  as God intended:" as pack animals." ... made me laugh!

I made need to borrow your pack animals ... my son and and his wife decided...no children.   

Also ... love your more tips ups Win Win!

Thanks for sharing ...

Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2019, 07:45 AM »
I am 71 and found the K-Drill/ Milwaukee has kept me in the game. Also, like you the heavy spud stays in the truck unless my 35 year old buddy comes along. He carries it like it is a twig. My Sorel boots must weigh 700 pounds and I have found that many days I can get by wearing my light weight, insulated, waterproof hiking boots.
    I also bought a Shappell FX100 one man flip up sled/tent that only weighs 37 pounds. I usually fish with it only half closed and use it as a wind break. The real cold is not as easy to take as you age.
   It is going to be a sad day when I am forced to give up ice fishing. My three dirt bikes will be going up for sale in a few weeks as I don’t bounce like I use to. Aging sucks!
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2019, 07:55 AM »
You've got me beat; I've been ice fishing for only 50 years. I bought a Strikemaster 4-stroke auger, which weighs about 10 lbs. lighter than the 2-strokes, and I've punched 10 holes through 21" of ice twice this winter. Also, I fish only in the afternoon now for the warmer weather and avoid the days when it is windy. The only exception was Feb. 9 when I went to the MA DFW ice fishing party in Chesterfield MA. Below 20° and 30 mph winds, and I lasted three hours.

My other suggestions are to go in the afternoon to popular fishing spots and use abandoned holes and use chemical hand warmers.

Keep on fishing!

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:01 AM »

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Oh, and I'm considering one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Sports+Pod+Pop-up+Tent&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
those pods were actually on "Shark Tank"
I spoke with a distributor last year(?) and asked about how they would hold up in the wind and sub freezing temps. his response was that they had not been tested for that.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2019, 10:21 AM »
Tips for lightening up at any age....
- Jet sled jr. or similar
- Milwaukee drill + drill adapter + lower half of hand auger
- A few jigs rods in sling strap rod cases w/lures, license, scent, etc. in side pouches
- I like my jiffy chipper/dipper ice scoop - even tho it's metal i think it's worth carrying (if i'm really trying to cut weight like hike-in only places, i'll use a plastic minnow scoop)
- Water bottle
- Ice picks

That's about as light as I can get.  If I didn't need to drill new holes, I'd skip the sled + drill/auger....and fish old holes w/rod case + scoop....that's it!

No bait buckets, no FF - just lake maps on phone, no tip-ups, no gas augers, no food, no grills.....

You can get really light if you leave the tip-ups at home & focus on jigging.  ;D

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2019, 10:41 AM »
i just hit 63, the only dif i do, is not set my traps hundreds of feet apart
burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2019, 10:56 AM »
I’ll be 70 in May. Still hauling a sled with spud bar, flasher, and Strikemaster auger. I’m not a “fitness freak” or anything, but I find regular exercise, (like walking), helps me keep me fit. Sure I Huff and puff and need to rest every so often, but I’m not in a race with anybody so who cares? If you need to lighten your load, by all means do so any way you can...just keep on trucking and fishin’! Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2019, 11:10 AM »
Take up smoking and cold Budweiser

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:33 PM »
Hi Guys,

appreciate reading your thoughts and ideas ...all of these

Dieseldog smiled when I read your post... "I am 71 and found the K-Drill/ Milwaukee has kept me in the game."    Good for you... and I agree a drill and auger combo is the way to go.

Skilisher ... another 70 years young guy and still getting it done  ..." Still hauling a sled with spud bar, flasher, and Strikemaster auger." 

Jigmaster ... you are spot one ..."You can get really light if you leave the tip-ups at home & focus on jigging. "   I am moving in that direction.

Scoper ...like your idea "go in the afternoon to popular fishing spots and use abandoned holes"  no sure why I havnt taken advantage of this approach more ...

rdhammah ... conceptually I like the pod idea ... but I realized after owning a two person Shappel pop up ... I likely won't use it.

Guys,  good to see others have the tenacity and passion to extend your ice time beyond, 60 - 70 and more .   I am hopeful one or all us will be fishing for decades more.

Best,   

Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:24 AM »
those pods were actually on "Shark Tank"
I spoke with a distributor last year(?) and asked about how they would hold up in the wind and sub freezing temps. his response was that they had not been tested for that.

That is good to know. I do worry that the inside would warm up and then the bottom would freeze to the ice.

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2019, 02:48 PM »
UTV, ATV, or snowmobile?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:57 PM »
I'm young and dumb.  My choice of flipover is heavy, even jigging I pack rather heavy.  Many times I've cursed myself for it.  One trio this year we had gone about a mile and a half on glare ice in the morning and then it snowed...the pull back was nearly impossible.  The otter is the worst snowplow.  Upgrading to panoptix added heavily to the weight.  Shanty lights, heater, ect all adds up.  The unspoken benefit is Ill be in shape for surf casting season. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:09 PM »
UTV, ATV, or snowmobile?
UTV works for me.  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.