Author Topic: Colorado Ice Shanty Gathering?  (Read 10032 times)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Colorado Ice Shanty Gathering?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 12, 2014, 02:44 PM »
Iced two times in the hills with you last year first the mile and the second was WF when we meet Dave,Joe and Tony drove both times. Your up and I will have the Beers and new kick ass green chili ready to go

Green Chili is an offer I can't refuse.    So I gues even if nobody else shows up we'll be there! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #31 on: Nov 12, 2014, 05:16 PM »
I'll be in Nebraska for muzzleloader deer and maybe some ice fishing that weekend.  You guys can have fun without me and maybe I'll hit the January gathering.
Sorry to hear that, Shaun!  PM me any time u want to go chase some front range bass - some time in Dec. should be good.  And the gathering in January at CC should be fun too.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Update, The Mile, Sat. Dec 6th. 
So far, we have yes from:

Me (bringing brews and brats)
Sawtooth (bringing jambalaya)
Slayer (bringing ___)
COlipripper (bringing ___)
Fish Wolf (bringing beerz and chili)
Chadfish (bringing ___)

So far so good!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Nov 12, 2014, 06:12 PM »
If it wasn't so far for me I would be there. I hope you all have a good time and bring back some stories for those who missed out. Good luck and be safe.
<===Lefty===

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 12, 2014, 07:02 PM »
I can bring some jambalaya.   Never fished the Mile, so will need some directions.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Chadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sure, they were biting here yesterday? :(
« Reply #35 on: Nov 12, 2014, 08:27 PM »
I will be there. Let me know what I can bring.
There's time to sleep when your dead....let's go fishin'!!!!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #36 on: Nov 12, 2014, 08:58 PM »
If it wasn't so far for me I would be there. I hope you all have a good time and bring back some stories for those who missed out. Good luck and be safe.
Sorry to hear that, Lefty-- hopefully meet you on the ice sometime this season.

Sawtooth, Jambalaya sounds great.  I'll PM directions when we decide where to meet and fish.  Anyone who has suggestions for a meetup spot, feel free to PM me if you don't want it broadcast to the web.  I'll make sure everyone attending gets the info.  From Denver, the park is I-25 south to the Springs, then hwy 24 west to the turnoff (in the winter, I take 23 into the park).

Chadfish - great!  You can bring whateva.  The list of attendees/food is above, so you can pick anything not taken.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #37 on: Nov 12, 2014, 09:28 PM »
Stickied this to the top of your page guys, GTG's are a good time to meet up with fellow members and swap some stories/tactics/coldies. We will be on our 3rd this year here. Try and watch the language while planning this on our family friendly site
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #38 on: Nov 12, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Thank you very much, muskyon46!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:28 AM »
For those of you who will be at 11mile 12/6 let me offer a suggestion. It looks like some of you will be coming down from Denver and points North. If you're coming through the Springs to hit Hwy 24 west you can pick up bait or last minute tackle from Colorado Tackle Pro who is the sponsor for this board. I was in their shop yesterday for the first time and was very impressed with the quality and scope of their ice fishing offerings. Certainly the best I've ever seen in the Springs. They're right on the corner of Hwy 24 and 21st street so you drive right past it. East end of the Angler's Covey building. Opens at 5:00 and a much more agreeable experience than you'll find at the 11 mile marina store. The Donut Mill in Woodland Park is traditional for fried foods and coffee. The Mile is my home ice and for who have not fished it before it offers the opportunity to catch some extraordinary trout and pike as well as the chance to send you home with your tail between your legs. Have a great party.
Stinky
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:02 AM »
For those of you who will be at 11mile 12/6 let me offer a suggestion. It looks like some of you will be coming down from Denver and points North. If you're coming through the Springs to hit Hwy 24 west you can pick up bait or last minute tackle from Colorado Tackle Pro who is the sponsor for this board. I was in their shop yesterday for the first time and was very impressed with the quality and scope of their ice fishing offerings. Certainly the best I've ever seen in the Springs. They're right on the corner of Hwy 24 and 21st street so you drive right past it. East end of the Angler's Covey building. Opens at 5:00 and a much more agreeable experience than you'll find at the 11 mile marina store. The Donut Mill in Woodland Park is traditional for fried foods and coffee. The Mile is my home ice and for who have not fished it before it offers the opportunity to catch some extraordinary trout and pike as well as the chance to send you home with your tail between your legs. Have a great party.
Stinky

Those are great suggestions, Stinky, and I will stop at both Colorado Tackle Pro and the Donut Mill.  I know how to fish Granby and the N. Park lakes, but have no idea what to bring for the Mile.  What bait and lures (and sizes) will I need?  Do I need braided line or just regular?
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 13, 2014, 10:02 AM »
Those are great suggestions, Stinky, and I will stop at both Colorado Tackle Pro and the Donut Mill.  I know how to fish Granby and the N. Park lakes, but have no idea what to bring for the Mile.  What bait and lures (and sizes) will I need?  Do I need braided line or just regular?
Sawtooth-- I'm probably not the ideal source for tackle tips. In the last couple of years I've turned into a lone wolf Pike hunter but in the years that I targeted Eleven Mile's trout, this is how I fished. I used a 10# PowerPro main line with a 6# fluorocarbon leader about 30". Four pound leader will get you broken off and 8# just is too heavy. They're pretty wary though it's a biggish lake. For a deadstick rig I used a Berkeley Powerbait microtube in pink/white tipped with a broken mealworm about 6" off the bottom or any lakebed moss. Come up about two feet from that with a short dropper with a scud fly or an egg or Powerbait or your preference bait. Make sure your pole holder is solid or you can lose some equipment. I've jigged Kastmasters and Thomas spoons with success. I never fished deeper than 12' for trout and usually 8-10'. Brightly colored chenille jigs are very popular also. Chris at Tackle Pro can put you right on terminal tackle since they're geared for that lake. There are guys that have that lake dialed in cold but I'm not one of them. I have taken my share of fish over the years but there have to be as many techniques as fishermen. If you want to PM me I know where I would take a group like yours.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #42 on: Nov 13, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Thanks Stinkyfingers -- those are great suggestions.  Sorry you're not going to be able to join us!  PM sent.
Nate
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 13, 2014, 11:20 AM »
I second much of what stinky has said about terminal tackle and lures. 1-2" powerbait brand tubes work great. Orange is another color that I've had success with some days.

I can't say I'm very good about securing the rods though...lost a setup last year. DOH! Idiot! It seems the very second you get up to drill a new hole or grab a frosty one or go to the cooler for food, whoosh, look back at your two rods to find only one left. At least it wasn't any of my decent setups...

I've also had success slightly deeper at 16' right near deeper water of 22' +.

Bigbassman - I'll PM you let you know the spot I've had success at but it's only a suggestion. I've not slayed (more than 10 fish/day) them ever in the 6 or so times I've iced 11mile so would be all ears in trying a new/better location.

Edit: Please let me know what else to bring. Grill? brats? potato salad? paper plates etc. I'll have some hooch and beers to share.
Selective harvest works!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #44 on: Nov 13, 2014, 12:05 PM »
Thanks, COlipripper --- good info!  If anyone else has any suggested meetup place, feel free to shoot me a PM and we'll decide.

As for what to bring, if you have a grill (and it's not too much trouble to haul out), that'd be great --- just let us know if you're planning on bringing it.  I have a small propane stove that I can use, but a grill sounds better.

I'm planning to bring brats, but other dogs/meat to cook on the grill would be great.  Or potato salad is always appreciated, but chips might be easier if you want.  Paper plates would be awesome.  As for beer, everyone remember there's a restriction for 3.2 or less in the park.  Thanks all!  This is gonna be great!
Nate
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Fish Wolf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 13, 2014, 12:17 PM »
Safe ice is going to be a determining factor where to fish. Probably  sucker cove area. Some of our biggest # days was from the Stoll side and for me my biggest came form that side. Slayer seems to get the big chubers from the south side.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Nov 13, 2014, 01:40 PM »
Yah on Dec. 6th prolly S-cove or UGH :P maybe even Cross Creek depending.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #47 on: Nov 13, 2014, 02:54 PM »
S-cove would be fine with me -- again, depending on the ice safety.  Or maybe the lazy/rodgers/rocking area?  We can check conditions the week of, and make the call.  Again, feel free to PM if you have a suggestion you don't want broadcast to the world.  ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 13, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Oh yeah, I call 3.2 beer hooch
Selective harvest works!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Nov 13, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Uh-Huh-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #50 on: Nov 13, 2014, 05:59 PM »
Hey why was my post erased? What are all you eastslopers afraid to drive over them mountains?
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Nov 13, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Hey why was my post erased? What are all you eastslopers afraid to drive over them mountains?

We could all meet at the Blue Mesa or Vega or Rifle/Harvey someday.
<===Lefty===

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #52 on: Nov 13, 2014, 10:31 PM »
We could all meet at the Blue Mesa or Vega or Rifle/Harvey someday.

I recommended Rifle Gap when this thread started and it got erased, maybe the gaps offend some people.

I know piles like this offend me

When there not mine ;)
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #53 on: Nov 13, 2014, 11:18 PM »
I'd be down for a rifle/Harvey GTG.  FrozenWillie, i think i rememer you suggesting we should all come out for the tourney, right?  Not sure why that comment would get deleted.  I hear the tourney weekend is crazy crowded, though.  Might not be best time for a gathering.

Maybe someone can organize a Western perch slam sometime in Jan or Feb?  Nothin like a pile of jumbos to get the blood boiling.  :)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline LightDrag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:38 AM »
Willey- that pile of perch has inspired me to post. I have caught them in upstate NY like that while fishing pike, but NEVER in Colorado. Wow.

New user on this forum - but fished all over CO for years. Has been a while since I got out on the Mile, I usually get sidetracked to Tarryall or Antero. I will keep an eye on this thread and if I can swing the date I will try and get out there and meet you guys. Any excuse to fish.  :)

Hopefully this cold holds on and we get to making some proper ice for this season. Also, I'm pretty excited about a conditions report board for CO - I would certainly contribute updates.

Thanks

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:21 PM »
ill b there.  :tipup:   ;D

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #56 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:35 PM »
ill b there.  :tipup:   ;D

Any, time Kev -- I got a guest room for you to crash in.  ;) 
Ice fishing in November each year in CO is sweet -- and some years it's ready in October.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:43 PM »
I will be able to make this and I will see if I can get some jig packs put together just set the date we will be there . Btw we will be open at 5am on Saturdays and Sundays after Thanksgiving.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #58 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:20 PM »
That would be great, Waterwhipper - I hope you can make it. So far, we're shooting for Dec 6th, with a meetup spot TBD depending on ice conditions.  It would be great to meet you and hear more about Colorado Tackle Pro.  Thanks again for sponsoring the Colorado Board, and I hope to see you in December.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Nov 18, 2014, 07:54 AM »
Any, time Kev -- I got a guest room for you to crash in.  ;) 
Ice fishing in November each year in CO is sweet -- and some years it's ready in October.

is there fishable ice now? might have to look into flights. btw I upgraded my catfishing to this.

and I got one of these this yr

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.